Summer rubber

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Well, spoke to my dealer buddy yesterday and while he has his dealership closed, he had no problem digging out my summer rubber for me, which I picked up today. I discovered I had 2x different sharps in my snows, one of them which is causing a leak, a beautiful screw:
[Linked Image]

Wheels are absolutely filthy, they haven't been washed yet and of course neither have the brakes. I'll probably give it a bath tomorrow. These are at least much easier to clean than the winter rims:
[Linked Image]

These are the optional sticky rubber, which I opted for when I ordered it. I borrowed the same ones from my buddy's TrackHawk for a bit with my 2016 and was quite happy with the traction. Once they are done they'll be replaced with Michelin's.

Originally Posted by spasm3
That screw is in a place I would plug.

Yeah, it'll be fixed when things are open again.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Can't you have snow up there until May?

It's possible, but unlikely. It's been pretty warm for the last bit, was 13C here today, definitely too warm for the snow tires.

Looks like a perfect candidate for a string plug :p

Nice robertson drive screw.. they are fairly rare down here except for decks and such.

These look to be the same P-Zeros as the ones that came on my Charger. Different size, of course. They're OK, but pretty easy to lose grip with RWD. I'm sure there are better tires out there.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
These look to be the same P-Zeros as the ones that came on my Charger. Different size, of course. They're OK, but pretty easy to lose grip with RWD. I'm sure there are better tires out there.

I expect they are, they are an improvement over the all season offerings that come standard. The Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ is available in this size, so that's what I plan on going with unless they come out with the Pilot Sport 4S in this size.

Some here will call that a "death trap" that will soon kill you if you don't immediately buy a new one.

Forget them. Plug or patch it, and drive on with confidence.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Some here will call that a "death trap" that will soon kill you if you don't immediately buy a new one.

Naw, it's only a death trap to those that try to plug tires with the screw near the side of the tire. That one looks like the center so should be fire, any tire shop should fix it. If you feel like being lazy, Goodyear will fix it for free, won't even charge you for balancing.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by gfh77665

Naw, it's only a death trap to those that try to plug tires with the screw near the side of the tire. That one looks like the center so should be fire, any tire shop should fix it. If you feel like being lazy, Goodyear will fix it for free, won't even charge you for balancing.

My dealer will plug it for free, no issues there. They store my tires for me too.

Florida man does not understand what's up here. I do remember back in the day my neighbor had hunting season tires and non hunting season tires.

Wow you are in Canada and going to put summer rubber on?
I'm in Colorado and would wait till May to do that.

Originally Posted by marine65

That's what I asked him, but I guess there aren't many hills out his way. I remember going up to Vermont one May not long ago hearing the sound of studded tires in a parking lot. Haven't heard that noise at home in decades.

Just be sure they don't crack at low temps. If they aren't the all-season version I would expect they can't be used some where below 0C. -7C is Michelin/BFG lowest limit which I flirted with a couple times with the sport comp 2s. They actually worked just fine around freezing even in the wet, but I never got into snow with them thankfully... The sport comp 2's did end up with some odd shoulder tread cracking at the end of 30k km and a couple seasons of autocross, so who knows if it was the cold or the overheating on the track.

That's what I asked him, but I guess there aren't many hills out his way. I remember going up to Vermont one May not long ago hearing the sound of studded tires in a parking lot. Haven't heard that noise at home in decades.

Where we are in Ontario it will be rare for snow now. I already took the snow tires off the Caravan 4 weeks ago. Got caught in a mild snowstorm heading to Kingston one Monday morning. Wasn't an issue if you don't drive like a fool. I prefer not to wear out my snow tires prematurely.

The roads are dead around here with Covid-19.

Yes, as JC1 noted (I'm about 45 minutes from him, give or take) there isn't much in the way of elevation and we are relatively close to lake Ontario, so I expect our snow season is over now. We may get a couple of cold nights though, so IndyIan makes a good point about watching out for cracking.

Back