Gearless ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Job

Amazon has the gearless Kobalt 3/8 ratchet set for $22. People say they like them. I ordered one, knowing it was made in PRC but since they are old stock and no longer made, I think, I figure the damage is already done.
I guess it is a normal deal as I see on ebay for about the same price.

I bought one from Lowe's a few years ago for $10. It's certainly smoother than a chunky US made Craftsman, but I'm not sure how it'd compare to a top tier equivalent.

I don't trust it with higher torqued bolts. Seems like a good way to bust a knuckle.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I bought one from Lowe's a few years ago for $10. It's certainly smoother than a chunky US made Craftsman, but I'm not sure how it'd compare to a top tier equivalent.

I don't trust it with higher torqued bolts. Seems like a good way to bust a knuckle.

This.

After splitting my hand open from a made in China Craftsman "Evolve" ratchet slipping gears it's no more China junk for me. I have 1 USA made Craftsman and the rest are older SK Tools ratchets I bought super cheap used on ebay.

They will all break or slip at one point if used enough, I don't care who or where its made. I have USA Craftsman ratchets, Snap-on ratchets, Kobalts, and even MAC tools ratchets. When I was turning wrenches for a living I wanted to try them all. Guess what? I have at least broken one of each in a short amount of time. Know which one has lasted the longest and that I really like? My composite 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets from Harbor Freight! lol !! I think I paid $20 for the set a few years back!

The other, 1/4" drive option looks like it would be good. For such a small drive, I wouldn't think it'd be under-engineered for those typical torques.
It's marginal, but I think I would rather have something like this than a fine-tooth ratchet..

I have one, dont use too much because the head of the ratchet is larger than most and like others said I dont trust it in high torque situations. However, when working on the dirbikes with my son I let him use it to get him more use to using a ratchet. Most panels on the bikes are not super tight.

I cancelled the Amazon order. I have been going through things in the garage and found a new set. I used to buy tools from Lowe's on clearance only when it was dirt cheap must have been from that. It is a nice ratchet. The way it would break is if the housing cracks open, not thinking that would easily happen. The rollers aren't breaking and the drive hex, or whatever number of points it has, isn't either. The only thing I see is it's a bit big.
What I did learn was many people make money on eBay buying clearance and reselling.

Of note, the sprag clutch in such ratchets often offer no real advantage over a quality fine tooth ratchet with regard to swing arc. They do require some lost motion to activate.

Snap On sells theirs for a lot more. Not going to slip, the drive end will twist off before then, like almost all ratchets these days. I think the Kobalt was quite a good item for the price.The invention seems to be the rollers are round and it is reversible.

https://shop.snapon.com/repair-products/3-8%22-Drive-Standard-Gearless-Round-Head-Ratchet/FZERO

I tried one decades ago, turns out I need some play in the ratchet mechanism.
I got it stuck in a tight place, because I couldn't relax it enough to get it out.
I started to use my fingers as a substitute for that little bit of play/reversing that
conventional ratchets have, until I squished my fingers in a similar tight spot.

I should have also mentioned there was one in the tool loaner bag at a junkyard my brother and I went to a few years ago. It worked fine.

I bet that thing saw some abuse.

I saw these at Lowe's a few years back. I was never interested for 2 reasons... the ones I saw had huge heads, and I already have enough of that... and made in PRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back