Pennzoil Platinum

Since my vehicle OCI is 6 month (3000 miles) and time for change I was looking for a sale. I ran Valvoline Daily Synthetic Blend 5w20 which held up great as fuel mileage stayed consistent with no oil usage. I almost bit on Napa 5w20 for 16.99 but I decided to see if I could get a name brand. I bought Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 5 qt container for 13.93 on Walmart website. I had to get 2 as mine takes 6 qts and one qt was over 6.00 which didn't make since. I also had to get a cabin filter so free shipping. My vehicle calls for 5w20 but 5w30 when 5w20 not available so with 5w20 being 24.98 or so it is not available for me LOL. I can also change outdoor power equipment as it is time as well ...

You did the right thing getting 2/5qt jugs. Only makes $en¢e to me.
5w30 will be just fine as summer is coming. As the matter of fact, for your next winter OCI, just get 1 jug of your favorite 5w20 and for the 6th qt, just use the 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
Since my vehicle OCI is 6 month (3000 miles) and time for change I was looking for a sale. I ran Valvoline Daily Synthetic Blend 5w20 which held up great as fuel mileage stayed consistent with no oil usage. I almost bit on Napa 5w20 for 16.99 but I decided to see if I could get a name brand. I bought Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 5 qt container for 13.93 on Walmart website. I had to get 2 as mine takes 6 qts and one qt was over 6.00 which didn't make since. I also had to get a cabin filter so free shipping. My vehicle calls for 5w20 but 5w30 when 5w20 not available so with 5w20 being 24.98 or so it is not available for me LOL. I can also change outdoor power equipment as it is time as well ...

You did well. You may like the 5w30, for it is a thin 30w.
The NAPA syn is strong enough for your OCIs. Not much reduction from the big-brother Valv Advanced.

Unless it's changed, from everything I've ever seen Napa Syn is identical to VAFS oil. But the PP is a pretty good deal...

It hasn't changed. If you call Valvoline tech support, they have always told me the two are different. But NAPA still rocks, for yours and my Colorado's OCIs.

Someone else here recently got a Valvoline rep email that stated the new formulas are different too - both base oil and a little different add-pack.

If you're still not convinced, contact Valvoline with your questions.

Last edited:
I have put the email on here from Valvoline reps awhile back. Basically speaking the base oil is different. Napa is good oil and I have ran a bunch of the blend and will not shy away from it. I just like sales when time to change oil. I never run only one oil as my mother does. I went ahead and ordered 2 more jugs as this is the only oil she runs in the Impala which is getting close to 150k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rossn2
Why does a mini-van need a 3000 mile or 6 month OCI?

I run 6 month OCI for 2 reasons
1 Dodge has 4k severe service
2 I do 90 % short trips with lots of idling especially with Covid 19. See wife is high risk so I bring her and dogs with me to store so it will idle with AC on while I pick up essentials
Miles I never check until close to 6 month interval which couple were 4500 miles.

Another good option is Havoline Pro DS with the smart change box. A quality oil at a fantastic price.

I ran DS for 6 month OCI and not my favorite in 5w20
In power equipment I ran 5w30 DS which I will be changing out to Pennzoil since this sale. I year on power equipment with no problems 👠with 5w30

PP for $13.93 is a winner. Never seen it that low in any store. I pay $22.xx
op, I agree with your "it is not available for me"
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Another good option is Havoline Pro DS with the smart change box. A quality oil at a fantastic price.

*Now considering this oil for older PFI engines with the added bonus of receiving a extra quart included in the 6 qrt. box perfect as make up oil for an oil change in a 5 qrt. sump .

ChrisD46

You've been dissatisfied with oil consumption on your 17' Sonata. Now you're considering going down that same road again with your PFI.
.The most increased consumption oil posts I've read in the past year involved Havoline.
The most decreased consumption oil posts I've read in the past year involved Rotella G&T 5w30

Just a heads-up.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
ChrisD46

You've been dissatisfied with oil consumption on your 17' Sonata. Now you're considering going down that same road again with your PFI.
.The most increased consumption oil posts I've read in the past year involved Havoline.
The most decreased consumption oil posts I've read in the past year involved Rotella G&T 5w30

Just a heads-up.

Very strange I haven't had any oil consumption issue with Havoline Pro Ds and a couple other people I exchange with on here haven't either. YMMV.

I guess you need to spend the next few days reading anything and everything here on Havoline. Then go to different forums on the internet.
I've read hundreds in the past year. My Colorado takes six quarts and I ain't touching Havoline boxes because it comes in a six quart box and that makes it convenient.

Your engine maintenance is not about convenience. It's about what benefits your engine best. Your engine should have what it likes best. Not what you like best. If you don't consume Havoline, that's great. I have found hundreds of posts that say otherwise.....more than any other oil, including Supertech, which came in 2nd Place (consumption issues) in my readings. There's a Supertech big box too.

I'm done here. I forewarned a friend in Chris and do not care that thousands may read my prior post on Havoline.
Buy a thousand boxes and enjoy being in Havoline Heaven.

Last edited:
Geez?

I haven't had any consumption with Havoline. Nor have I with any oil for that matter.

There is lots of fables on the interwebs.

Geez?

I haven't had any consumption with Havoline. Nor have I with any oil for that matter.

Yes there are
smile.gif

Havoline in Caravan used 1/2 qt in 3k (5w20) and (5w30) in power equipment used oil for first 20 hours then none in last 10 hours. I attribute this to going from a blend in everything except John Deere had conventional to Synthetic. I will know when Pennzoil comes in. Blends no oil usage in any engine I put in
Which Pennzoil Gold was easier to get.

Geez?

Me neither! I used Havoline in a 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo w/ a small block 400 c.i.d. 4bbl and it never leaked a single drop with well over 200+ miles (the odometer broke, so I didn't have a correct mileage over 200k). Too many internet fables to count!

Last edited:
*Just a passing thought on the Havoline 6 qrt. box … My PFI engines using M1 or PP 5W30 don't burn a drop of oil over a 5~6K OCI and are boringly reliable !
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I guess you need to spend the next few days reading anything and everything here on Havoline. Then go to different forums on the internet.
I've read hundreds in the past year. My Colorado takes six quarts and I ain't touching Havoline boxes because it comes in a six quart box and that makes it convenient.

Your engine maintenance is not about convenience. It's about what benefits your engine best. Your engine should have what it likes best. Not what you like best. If you don't consume Havoline, that's great. I have found hundreds of posts that say otherwise.....more than any other oil, including Supertech, which came in 2nd Place (consumption issues) in my readings. There's a Supertech big box too.

I'm done here. I forewarned a friend in Chris and do not care that thousands may read my prior post on Havoline.
Buy a thousand boxes and enjoy being in Havoline Heaven.

Back