Amsoil refines their own oil?

Picture from Street Rodder magazine March 2018. I always thought Amsoil was a blender and got their refined base stocks from a supplier.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Donald
They buy basestock like all the blenders. I doubt Amsoil is large enough to own a refinery even if they wanted to,

Amsoil SS is very-very-very good oil. But I can't compare it to what you use, since you don't mention it in your Signature.

BTW.... I don't use Amsoil. I don't work for Amsoil. But I am always impressed by VOAs and UOAs of it here at BITOG.

From AMSOIL's FAQs:

AMSOIL does not insist on a particular type of base stock, but insists on particular performance parameters. AMSOIL chooses whichever synthetic base stock or combination of base stocks delivers the desired result and tailors its lubricants to be application-specific (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperatures, etc.). At the end of the day, the type of base stock used to formulate the oil is inconsequential; the product's performance is what matters.

This implies that they buy basestocks and do not refine their own.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
From AMSOIL's FAQs:

...At the end of the day, the type of base stock used to formulate the oil is inconsequential; the product's performance is what matters.

Should be a sticky

That looks like a use of "refined:" Like I refined my coffee making this morning making it a bit stronger.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
That looks like a use of "refined:" Like I refined my coffee making this morning making it a bit stronger.

Well the SS add-packs do look pretty darn strong.
So you are-on to something there.

Remember the Wendy's hamburger commercials..... Where's The Beef? Maybe Amsoil knows where the oil beef is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
cue benjy and the usual 'fake synthetic' diatribe.

I do not work for Amsoil. I use Amsoil. I like Amsoil. I have spent plenty of money on UOA of Amsoil to the point that my opinion of Amsoil is NOT subject to your criticism or opinion. AFAIK, you're fake. Use what lets you sleep at night. I do.

OP: You could gather up a list of refineries in the US and see is Amsoil owns any of them. They would need a permit. Also if Amsoil made their own base oil, don't you think they would claim such in plain wording rather than require subjective interpenetration of their labeling?

Indeed.

Amsoils wells are all in America, that's where the name comes from, Am-soil. Quaker State and Pennzoil wells are all in Pennsylvania of course. They would be sued for false advertising if they were not.

Amsoil's oils comes from really special wells in America, pure oil wells . I got it.

Originally Posted by CT8
Amsoils wells are all in America, that's where the name comes from, Am-soil. Quaker State and Pennzoil wells are all in Pennsylvania of course. They would be sued for false advertising if they were not.

Amsoil's oils comes from really special wells in America, pure oil wells . I got it.

I'm afraid to ask where Castrol comes from.

I like Amsoil based on what I've read but when I read "...each molecule has a specific purpose by design ..." it makes me think marketing like they all do. Intelligent , etc.

I had some chemistry courses in college but is it even possible to assign a task and/or "specific purpose" to a molecule? Just curious what it means.

Maybe we should ask MolaKule
grin2.gif

Back