Samsung Quitting LCD Business

https://www.drivingvisionnews.com/samsung-stopping-lcd-production/

Samsung Display will stop LCD panel production by the end of this year and turn their activities fully to OLED and other display technology.

Samsung Display currently have LCD production lines in China and South Korea, but they're planning to convert one of their LCD facilities in South Korea for quantum-dot screen production. Reports are that Samsung haven't yet decided on the future of their Chinese facilities.

The display industry has been going through a tough time lately due to oversupply and price competition. Now with the coronavirus pandemic which has led to cancellation or postponement of most big events including the Olympics, global end market decline is expected.

With Samsung quitting the LCD business, the oversupply issue of the panel industry might lessen and other panel makers including AUO, Innolux, and BOE could benefit. At the same time, Korean panel producers are turning their focus into new display technologies covering OLED and Micro LED, pushing the industry to move away from LCDs generally.

The old LCD display is mature, it seems wise for Samsung to put their money in the newer processes that have much better yield, and leave the low margin mature processes to other companies. The big thing is will consumers pay for a better resolution display.

Rod

4K resolution is a mainstream spec. And will be for the next few years. Content and bandwidth are the challenges currently and for 8k TV.
HDR, local dimming, screens 80" and larger, etc.... Efforts towards better image quality is where consumers will be spending $

When I questioned this group over what Gigabit Internet service was good for, a number of people added higher and higher def displays as the reason for bandwidth. I guess I'm old and partially blind. I have a couple of 720p TV's. I could certainly see scrapping the fifty incher when its time comes, but the 35 looks just fine to my elderly, low end eyes. Also have a Moto E4+ phone. Low end display and a huge battery. Because of the display, the battery lasts for 2+ days of constant use. I'm sure I'm just like those ninety year olds that see no need for the Internet. After while progress passes you buy, but I'm doing OK with what I have.

The OLED displays provide a truly wonderful viewing experience and amazing picture quality. OLED does have lower outright brightness and might not be a good choice for displays that are located in a bright or sunny location, such as airport terminals. I think there is a place for both OLED and LCD.

Last edited:
I'm not picky about the picture quality but I loved that Samsung sets were dropping to lower price points, because the cheap generic alternatives tend to have their capacitors pop in about 3-5 years of use.

Quitting? Isn't QLED LCD????

Samsung saying they're going to focus on QLED is not a surprise. OLED is the next iterative step, so for them to say they were going to focus all of their attention on OLED for their next generation would be more significant. For them to say they're going to offer a micro-LED would be something really cool.

I'm not sure why some here are discussing screen resolution. My 1080p screen has looked better than my dad's 4K screen, because it's a better screen (both Samsung, but mine is a high series, with better tech, like local dimming, than his.) Going OLED will not be the same as going from 1080P to 4K or from 4K to 8K. It's a whole other level. If I could have it my way I'd prefer a 1080P OLED display with max specs that can take advantage of current, common streaming capabilities and tech.

There is really no big difference in video quality among the major manufacturers higher end products. LG, Sony, Samsung.
The one stand out is LG's with OLED, deeper blacks then the next superior picture quality from Sony yet better is relative as the Sony will produce a better picture in bright rooms.

Samsungs QLED picture quality is nowhere near LG's OLED. And Sonys picture quality beats Samsung on their higher end sets.

This is why.

The ONLY different screen technology is from LG's OLED.

Samsung invented the word QLED to make it sound like OLED. But Samsungs QLED is nothing more then a fancy name with a twist for standard LED TVs.
Sonys "standard" high end TVs blow away Samsungs QLED, they are both LED TVs,.

I know most here know this but I see the QLED word being thrown around in this thread and just wanted to make sure people understand the word QLED by Samsung is simply an LED TV .
OLED by LG is a true different, better picture producing technology but maybe less reliable and as someone else just pointed out in here, lower brightness is not helpful in a bright room.

Bottom line, any higher end TVs give great Pictures. Samsung and others trying to get profit back into the display business and I honestly think they will fail, most homes are only so large and most people happy with their TV picture. We have a MID/higher end Sony and love it. We have a great room with 16 foot ceilings and the equal of 18 feet of windows 5 feet high facing west with tinting but no drapes.
The afternoon sun shines in those windows and even though we dont watch TV during the day, on the rare occasion that we do, we have no problem seeing the picture. its amazing. Standard evening viewing, and the deep blacks give the picture an almost 3D type appearance.

Next they will be pushing 8K TV which is way to soon for me anyway. I could care less about a better picture and that is the problem for the manufacturers
So now I see the path Samsung will take, OLED.

They are scrambling for profits now, TVs are standard stuff now, much like oil and gasoline brands.
The picture quality is fantastic with any mid to high end TV so companies need to be able to market something new, that sounds better but isnt really and Samsung chose to go after the OLED (not QLED) screen to get profits up.
One must know standard LED screens are more "stable" then OLED used by LG and Samsung but suspect they will be good enough improved.

For me, Sony mid to high ends products cant be beat by anyone, skip the fancy catch names for type of screen.

Last edited:
I think because the profit is low and it is a low end market, they are wise to leave and focus on the higher end OLED display.

Personally I think we will stay with 4K for a long time to come, if not 1080p, due to storage and bandwidth reason.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Aren't there two manufacturers in the world - LG and Samsung?

There are a lot of Taiwanese and Chinese low end LCD manufacturers.

I have two LG and a TCL LED TV.. Picture is beautiful. I bet TCL manufacturers the panels for LG , Samsung etc...

Samsung's investing $11B in QD-OLED. It won't be online until 2021.
Supposed to be OLED in video quality, last longer (maybe 1 million hrs) and eventually be lower cost.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
I have two LG and a TCL LED TV.. Picture is beautiful. I bet TCL manufacturers the panels for LG , Samsung etc...

TCL does make LCD's for Samsung. LG said they will be shutting down LCD production in 2020.

For the television world I dont blame them.. LCD is a dinosaur.. Focus on making better LED technology. I do like LCD smartphone and tablet screens"they are vivid crisp and have good detail", wonder what affect the shutting down of LCD production will do to the lower end smartphone with LCD panels.

Approx 5 months from now, my 2 Samsung LCDs will be 10 years old. A 46 in 1080p and a 32 in 720p. Both of them still play as if they were new and have needed no repairs at all. I will stick with them until something goes wrong. I have never been more satisfied with any brand of tv. YMMV.

Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
Approx 5 months from now, my 2 Samsung LCDs will be 10 years old. A 46 in 1080p and a 32 in 720p. Both of them still play as if they were new and have needed no repairs at all. I will stick with them until something goes wrong. I have never been more satisfied with any brand of tv. YMMV.

I still have a working Samsung plasma that my parents gave me as a housewarming present back in 2008. It still works although I got a new TV with internet connectivity and direct access to many of the streaming services I use. The only issue is that I have some burn in. First there were the sides because I originally used it with 4:3 mode with a cable box. Later on it get better as I used full screen although I got burn in with a certain channel with their logo in the same spot for hours on end.

I rather like my new TV although trying to move app icons around is a pain to figure out. One time I just deleted an app and loaded it again so I could put it where I wanted on the home screen.

Back