VW oil is found where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bachman
Not sure what the norm is here but $100 sounds about right. Dealer did my first one with a coupon I had for $40 or $50 and just under 6000 miles at 12 months.
Next one was recently and I had a $30 off coupon. It may have run clear up to $60 or just under $70 with that I guess. I'm going around 10 to 12 months and that's 5800 to 6000 miles.
$8 a month, heck I can afford that
grin2.gif

I also like the dealer stamping the book and that piece of mind. I'm planning on driving this one long enough to test the warranty.

I've literally never had dealers do that. I thought that was just for show
lol.gif

I've had mine done on my Golf 1.8T. Takes 5.7qts (5.5L) and they charged me 74.99 for it. I think it increases after a certain amount of quarts is required.

Last edited:
Not sure what the norm is here but $100 sounds about right. Dealer did my first one with a coupon I had for $40 or $50 and just under 6000 miles at 12 months.
Next one was recently and I had a $30 off coupon. It may have run clear up to $60 or just under $70 with that I guess. I'm going around 10 to 12 months and that's 5800 to 6000 miles.
grin2.gif

I also like the dealer stamping the book and that piece of mind. I'm planning on driving this one long enough to test the warranty.

Dealer changing oil and warranty are not connected AT ALL!

Originally Posted by BurntMusic
grin2.gif

lol.gif

I've had mine done on my Golf 1.8T. Takes 5.7qts (5.5L) and they charged me 74.99 for it. I think it increases after a certain amount of quarts is required.

It is just show.
grin2.gif

I'm using "Dealer Stamping the book" to mean I have service records in their "system" and the hard copy in my file. "File" meaning glove box.
I speak in secret language with impunity and where I go, chaos and confusion follow.

Originally Posted by edyvw
grin2.gif

By Not Connected, you are saying The MOB isn't running the show over there at the dealership ?
smile.gif

*Not strictly within the world of VW but in general, just about any brand or model of vehicles;
Seen plenty of posts or concerns by those that have the LOF and other services done at independent shops or even the DIY clan. I understand saving money, trusting other shops or even the 'fun' of wrenching our your own rig if that's what you like.
The topic of some of those posts is questions, fear or reality that owners have had that tug-o-war on warranty claims, service problems or some opportunity to question what was done? was it done right ? by the book or standards of the car specs ? per manufacture fine print, proper spec fluids etc....
I don't have an obsessive fear of that happening to me but I know the longer I own and drive anything (this having a 10/100 coverage) , the chance for a problem or warranty claim or any nit picks is nearly a given.
The easier I go through that process, the better for me and 'them'.
My piece of mind is a VW trained tech, VW spec or 'genuine' parts, fluids and documentation that matches the incidents or scheduled maintenance. Dealers want this business, it's always been a profit center yet many have improved their marketing and pricing to compete. I won't doubt that all dealers have to stand or fall on their own reputation and I'm not making an argument that everyone should follow the same recipe.
VW or the dealer can refute (or try) any claim or deny a warranty fix or coverage, so I suppose I have no guarantees but I can't prove something that hasn't happened yet. I do like my odds though and, for the same maint/services expense anyone else has - or pretty darn close.

* I do realize there are other scheduled services and maint that are more costly, dealer shop rates, book time and such. I get coupons from time to time through the year and plan to use discounted dealer services as fits the schedule. Typically, a 20 to 25% off services is the thing and at a min of $100, I don't think that'll be a tough one to hit.
Also, at 6000 miles of use per year, I realize my situation isn't all that common.
I'll also footnote here, there have been plenty of posts where "warranty troubles " or that tug-o-war was decided to the customer's benefit with mention all services/history were performed by the dealer.

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
grin2.gif

lol.gif

It is just show.
grin2.gif

I'm using "Dealer Stamping the book" to mean I have service records in their "system" and the hard copy in my file. "File" meaning glove box.
I speak in secret language with impunity and where I go, chaos and confusion follow.

grin2.gif

By Not Connected, you are saying The MOB isn't running the show over there at the dealership ?
smile.gif

*Not strictly within the world of VW but in general, just about any brand or model of vehicles;
Seen plenty of posts or concerns by those that have the LOF and other services done at independent shops or even the DIY clan. I understand saving money, trusting other shops or even the 'fun' of wrenching our your own rig if that's what you like.
The topic of some of those posts is questions, fear or reality that owners have had that tug-o-war on warranty claims, service problems or some opportunity to question what was done? was it done right ? by the book or standards of the car specs ? per manufacture fine print, proper spec fluids etc....
I don't have an obsessive fear of that happening to me but I know the longer I own and drive anything (this having a 10/100 coverage) , the chance for a problem or warranty claim or any nit picks is nearly a given.
The easier I go through that process, the better for me and 'them'.
My piece of mind is a VW trained tech, VW spec or 'genuine' parts, fluids and documentation that matches the incidents or scheduled maintenance. Dealers want this business, it's always been a profit center yet many have improved their marketing and pricing to compete. I won't doubt that all dealers have to stand or fall on their own reputation and I'm not making an argument that everyone should follow the same recipe.
VW or the dealer can refute (or try) any claim or deny a warranty fix or coverage, so I suppose I have no guarantees but I can't prove something that hasn't happened yet. I do like my odds though and, for the same maint/services expense anyone else has - or pretty darn close.

* I do realize there are other scheduled services and maint that are more costly, dealer shop rates, book time and such. I get coupons from time to time through the year and plan to use discounted dealer services as fits the schedule. Typically, a 20 to 25% off services is the thing and at a min of $100, I don't think that'll be a tough one to hit.
Also, at 6000 miles of use per year, I realize my situation isn't all that common.

thumbsup2.gif

You did hear of Magnuson-Moss Act right? It has been discussed here numerous times.

VWs own-brand oil is labelled as Quantum.

Google VW Quantum Oil - they sell it through all thier parts stores and they use it as bulk fill at all dealership service departments, and they keep it behind the counter at the dealership parts desk.

Its made my BP Belgium so Ghent or Antwerp (Castrol is a sub-brand of BP) but this is irrelevant because whoever makes it is bound by VW certification, it has to pass the spec.

All Genuine VW oil is Quantum Oil.

Last edited:

You did hear of Magnuson-Moss Act right? It has been discussed here numerous times.

I'll check it out Edy, thank you. I'll look for those threads too, sounds like something that came up for a few members here.

Originally Posted by Olas

Google VW Quantum Oil - they sell it through all thier parts stores and they use it as bulk fill at all dealership service departments, and they keep it behind the counter at the dealership parts desk.

Its made my BP Belgium so Ghent or Antwerp (Castrol is a sub-brand of BP) but this is irrelevant because whoever makes it is bound by VW certification, it has to pass the spec.

Over here it looks like ExxonMobil because of the bottles. I know of no other company that uses that distinct shape. They have it in all flavors, 5w30, 5w40, 0w20, 0w30 and possibly 0w40, although I didn't see that grade while at the dealership.

20200207_105749.jpg

20200207_105756.jpg

20200207_104506.jpg

20200207_104529.jpg

20200207_104646.jpg

I'll check it out Edy, thank you. I'll look for those threads too, sounds like something that came up for a few members here.

Basically, you can lift your car on sidewalk, change oil and as long as you use oil VW approves, they cannot do anything about warranty. That is oil. Act covers much more. Burden is on them to prove that you did not use approved oil.

Basically, you can lift your car on sidewalk, change oil and as long as you use oil VW approves, they cannot do anything about warranty. That is oil. Act covers much more. Burden is on them to prove that you did not use approved oil.

Well that's a nice way to instill some confidence when we buy something. Thanks for being the bearer of good news.
smile.gif

Personally, I don't know if what we pay in taxes for a car covers the cost of the paper they need for printing and mailing recall info ....
confused2.gif

Last edited:

I believe Castrol lost the contract a few years back and Fuchs are now the supplier to the Quantum brand. But as you say it really doesn't make any difference to the end user who the supplier as it has been approved to the appropriate oil specification - VW502/505 or VW504/507.

The list price of the Quantum oils in the UK is usually competitive with other brands, but if you keep an open eye and some patience EuroCarParts often have some cracking deals on VW approved oils. I picked up some 1L bottles of Shell Helix Ultra 0W30 AV-L for £3.44 a few weeks back, and this morning they had a deal on Petronas 5000 AV 5W30 4 Litres for £11.50 after a 50% coupon - sold out in a few hours. I now shop only on the spec and not on the brand - in the extended family we have cars that require VW504/507, MB229.51 and BMW LL04 and I have not paid more than £3.50 per litre for any of them and the average price is closer to £2

https://www.fuchs.com/uk/en/company...icants-uk-for-all-new-quantum-oil-range/

Originally Posted by NuttCase

I believe Castrol lost the contract a few years back and Fuchs are now the supplier to the Quantum brand. But as you say it really doesn't make any difference to the end user who the supplier as it has been approved to the appropriate oil specification - VW502/505 or VW504/507.

The list price of the Quantum oils in the UK is usually competitive with other brands, but if you keep an open eye and some patience EuroCarParts often have some cracking deals on VW approved oils. I picked up some 1L bottles of Shell Helix Ultra 0W30 AV-L for £3.44 a few weeks back, and this morning they had a deal on Petronas 5000 AV 5W30 4 Litres for £11.50 after a 50% coupon - sold out in a few hours. I now shop only on the spec and not on the brand - in the extended family we have cars that require VW504/507, MB229.51 and BMW LL04 and I have not paid more than £3.50 per litre for any of them and the average price is closer to £2

https://www.fuchs.com/uk/en/company...icants-uk-for-all-new-quantum-oil-range/

Yeah, but that does not mean the cannot contract Mobil1 for the US market.

Not correct:

1. VW have their own, VW-branded "genuine oil" which is used in their franchised workshops. They also have an after-market spare parts brand called Quantum, which can use used in independent workshops.

2. Quantum oil is made by Fuchs.

3. Castrol don't manufacture in Antwerp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back