Adding A Quart for Mustang GT

My Mustang GT takes 6 quarts for a complete oil change, with a new filter.
The cost difference of purchasing 6 individual quarts and a 5qt jug is quite large. Sometimes I will get lucky and find close out oils, like Menards Shell Full Synthetic 5W20 case for $16. But most of the time, no luck to be had.
So this time I've purchased Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 5qt jug, and I need to add one quart. I can't find Pennzoil Ultra single quart jugs where I live. I'm sure that they are probably stupid expensive anyway.
Would it really matter what I can use for that needed extra quart?

Only choice I see is to buy two five quart jugs (which is what I'd do). Or maybe just go grab a quart of Pennzoil Platinum for the extra quart.

Originally Posted by ddhmax1973
My Mustang GT takes 6 quarts for a complete oil change, with a new filter.
The cost difference of purchasing 6 individual quarts and a 5qt jug is quite large. Sometimes I will get lucky and find close out oils, like Menards Shell Full Synthetic 5W20 case for $16. But most of the time, no luck to be had.
So this time I've purchased Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 5qt jug, and I need to add one quart. I can't find Pennzoil Ultra single quart jugs where I live. I'm sure that they are probably stupid expensive anyway.
Would it really matter what I can use for that needed extra quart?

Buy two five quart jugs initially. Then you have enough for multiple more oil changes, outside of buying only one more five quart jug for each oil change.

Been doing this for decades.. I have not bought a single 32 ounce quart since gas-engine oil was made available in gallon and five quart jugs

I hear ya man. My GT500 takes 8, the Armada takes 7 and my F150 takes 6. I've switched them all out to M1 Euro 0-40 so I just buy multiple jugs. You'll come out money ahead by biting the bullet and buying 2 jugs for one oil change instead of buying the one single for every change.

Originally Posted by ddhmax1973
So this time I've purchased Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 5qt jug, and I need to add one quart.

Is this just a late April 1st post?

I keep a plastic bin with my funnels, grease guns, turkey basters, and a two quart measuring cup. I keep a lid on it to keep out the dust. I sometimes skip a filter change, I have a couple of GM V-8s where the 2008 takes 5 liters with a filter, 4 liters without and another that takes 6 liters with a filter and 5 without. Keep in mind it's not just the oil in the filter, it's the oil stored above the anti-drain back valve that is kept when you skip a filter change. Generally it's close to a liter for me. So basically I always have a spare jug with some 5w30 synthetic oil and I don't hand-wring about it being a different grade or brand from the 5 liter jug I typically use for the change. For apartment dwellers, you can keep that spare jug in the car with a small box for the measuring cup. Whatever works.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Also, Costco has Kirkland brand synthetic motor oil, which sells for $15 for 5 quarts.

It's good to keep in mind that most oil filters can easily go 2 oil changes (and sometimes 3) . So you can keep your engine healthy at $15 per oil change.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly my freestyle is 6quarts and its stands up well on 5k oci's the Havoline 6 quart bot makes oil changes easy

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
OP:

Not sure why this is so difficult.

Scott

You don't even need that.
[Linked Image]

My Santa Fe takes 6 qts (as does my F150). Never had an issue at all with 5 qt jugs and 6 qt (or higher) capacities.

I never thought this would be a real question here. I mean really.
confused2.gif

Is it that hard to figure out to buy 2 jugs the first time, then have the "extra" qt on hand for the next 4 changes?
21.gif

But I also agree with others, the 6 qt box is a good option if you can't figure out how to pour out 1 qt from a 5 qt jug.

But to answer the OP question, yes, you can add any other oil to get to your 6 qts level, but you are negating some of the reason you are using PUP.

Back