Is this a good floor jack (and deal)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Now that I drive an F250
I need at least a 4 ton

Why? The advertised weight rating of the jack is the actual amount it can lift, not the maximum weight of the vehicle. I can't imagine even the front corner of that truck weighing more than 1 ton.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Snap On rebrands or rebranded the HF Daytona. Snap On took HF to court because their advertising compared their prices.

Thought you were joking but guess not...

"Harbor Freight also alleged Snap-on's jacks were made in the same factory as the Harbor Freight ones and the company's business model is what caused a higher price. Snap-on denied those allegations in its response."

https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/law/snap-on-harbor-freight-settle-floor-jack-case/

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Thought you were joking but guess not...
When it comes to floor jacks I don't screw around!

20190306_201758.jpg

Link doesn't work.

Put it this way: I bought a CHEAP (on sale for $ 39.99 at PEP BOYS) jack, stand, and creeper combo back in 2005.

I still have the stands and creeper, but the jack failed around 2010 or so.

I bought another cheap jack from Sears this time for about $ 40, and still have it today.

I've got the 80 lb steel 3 ton jack from Sears. It's great, though if I drag it from the dirt onto my concrete garage floor, it tends to chip the lip at the edge with its rugged all-metal wheels.

Fully down, it's about 1/4 inch too high to get under the "frame" of my prii. No matter, I lift up on a fender and kick it under. You guys with issues could park on some 3/4 plywood (under the tire) for a little pre-lift.

I like the 15 inch lift on the HF steel 3 tonner. It is a beast, because I'm weak. I wish I'd kept the shopping cart I used to get it to the car.
grin2.gif

Old topic but it seems something needs cleared up. That Home Depot Husky 3 ton, IS an Arcan, it's just the 3 ton XL3000 instead of 3.5 ton XL35/35A/35B. I think Arcan is now discontinuing sales of it under their own label, having added a 3.25 ton extra low profile jack into their fold.

Costco used to sell the XL3000 for $90, then $95, but the HD $110 price is pretty good for the Husky version today.

HD also sells the Husky version of the Arcan XL35, but about the same price as you can get an Arcan XL35 anywhere else ($179).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...ck-with-Speedy-Lift-HD4795-DIP/307789471

Originally Posted by Chris142
That jack you posted weighs 80LBS! Get the Aluminum one from Harbor freight.

I have the Aluminum HF jack. It's great!

Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by das_peikko
I recommend the beastly yellow Daytona.

[Linked Image from 6803l1jplwe1s1hjp4dfnjlb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

What is really nice about this jack is it has a longer reach and sometimes that comes in very handy.

Yep, the Horror Freight ones seem to get great reviews.

I like the jacks that NAPA has.
I bought one from my local NAPA parts store a few years ago.
Haven't seen anything nicer.
All my local tire shops use these jacks.
They are around $300 but worth it.

Torin (older) and Big Red 3 tons from TSC. No issues. Heavy.
Have Pittsburgh aluminum 1.5 ton in the Fusion and Cruze.
I carry an 8 ton bottle jack in my pickup … and have others.

i have the low profile 3ton from harbor freight and it's been great over the last 6-7 yrs and it was around $80 when i got it.

Originally Posted by whofan
I like the jacks that NAPA has.
I bought one from my local NAPA parts store a few years ago.
Haven't seen anything nicer.
All my local tire shops use these jacks.
They are around $300 but worth it.

NAPA has their 3.5 ton on sale right now for $199.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NLE7916420

That's as good as you're going to get for ~$200, though the HF Super Duty yellow one is fancier and (a rarity for HF) a longer 3 yr warranty.

As far as the $100 jacks, they're pretty similar whether it be arcan or HF or Torin, etc.

80 lbs is not heavy for a jack, unless you just need a 2.5ton or smaller for a small vehicle. Sure you can spend more for aluminum if you think you'll need to carry it around.

One thing notable about HF jacks is they seem to be raising the prices again. Their 3ton $80 is nearly gone, in-store purchase only, with the red painted replacement now at $100 with coupon, and they just raised the prices on their 3 ton Daytonas to $144 before, $120 after coupon. If the trend continues, I wouldn't expect to get the Super Duty 3 ton for much less than $200 after coupon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by das_peikko
I recommend the beastly yellow Daytona.

[Linked Image from 6803l1jplwe1s1hjp4dfnjlb-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

What is really nice about this jack is it has a longer reach and sometimes that comes in very handy.

Yep, the Horror Freight ones seem to get great reviews.

I don't know about the yellow one - looks fancy, and seems to have some good features. But the $59 1.5 ton jack is a joy to use because it's so light. To me it's best in class for the money, one of the HF tools I think is worth buying and would do so agian...

If the yellow,one was truly a snap on clone, from the same factory, it has to be decent...

^ Someone tore the HF yellow Super Duty down on Garagejournal and wasn't very impressed. In other words it is even more of a crime what Snap-on charges for theirs. Short version: It uses plain o-rings for the ram piston instead of a U-cup, making it a substantially shorter lifespan jack than it could've been for ~$2 build cost difference:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6095806&postcount=687

Originally Posted by Dave9
^ Someone tore the HF yellow Super Duty down on Garagejournal and wasn't very impressed. In other words it is even more of a crime what Snap-on charges for theirs. Short version: It uses plain o-rings for the ram piston instead of a U-cup, making it a substantially shorter lifespan jack than it could've been for ~$2 build cost difference:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6095806&postcount=687

So then the HF claim that the daytona and snap on are the same is a lie? Perhaps its a "twist" because the parts are made in the same factory, and assembled in the same place, but with different designs/standards.

I have a big heavy hein warner, and thats enough for me. But its surprising that the SO unit is Chinese, and that there wouldnt be some sort of differentiation in some parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back