Washing the TV Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I only have one key for my Challenger...it came with two, but the second did not work and was full of corrosion. My best guess: laundry.

A good contact cleaner like DeOxit is worth trying. Brought back many items for me.

CRC Contact cleaner is a good product as well.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Oh wait. Being a BITOG'r, How many sheets were in there with the remote? What kind of detergent were you using, and what are the specs on that? Did you clean the lint filter lately? Were there any additional additives used? Is the remote made in Japan or China?

Yep. HD detergent will probably be less destructive as well. Use of liquid fabric softener will usually leave a slick residue behind which can cause problems.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I used to put my SKS rifles in the dishwasher to remove the cosmoline.

Yeah. If I'm shooting corossive surplus ammo, my Mosins take a shower with me. Then they get cleaned and oiled afterwards.
No rust, no corrosion ever.

Remotely modern remote control PCBs are manufactured using water soluble flux. They are put through a rinse but barely, residue remains behind.

When you get them wet, that residue forms acidic pools that eat at the metal and create conductive traces, which are usually most problematic on close pitch IC pins, but less so on something using very low voltage.

Long story short, don't let water bead up on these and dry to create increasing strength pools of acid. Examine, rinse, use a rinse agent or alcohol mix to promote sheeting action by lowering surface tension, and shake excess off. That is your best chance for survival after an event. That old wisdom to "throw it in a container of rice/desiccant" to dry it out, is only combating the wet-issue, not the corrosion issue, so isn't much more effective than just pointing a fan at the widget unless you have a horribly humid environment.

You don't need any special cleaner to get water based flux off, unlike the old rosin core flux that is seldom used now except on components that were hand soldered. That will come off with alcohol. No-clean flux if it's a hard clear blob still, can stay there and is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back