2019/2020 VW Jetta GLI

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I wouldn't worry about oil consumption as Eddy noted. I owned a 2013 GTI I bought new. I had to add 1/2 a quart every 4k miles. That started after it had 100k plus on it. My brother owns it now with over 170k on it. My wife bought her Audi new and it doesn't consume any oil nor has it has a single issue ,but only has 65kish on it.

As I stated, it was resolved in Audi by Mid-2012.

Originally Posted by TCU_Adam
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
but this particular sales guy gave me a laughable offer for my trade in,

It's the times we live in and not necessarily that particular sales guy, IMO. What car are you trying to trade in?

Lightly used cars don't sell because there are some really good incentives and 0% financing on brand new ones. So people either buy brand new cars or old cheap cars that they can pay cash for. The rest of the stuff in the middle is a tough sell.

It's a 2013 G37S 6MT. 85k miles and in good shape. Said the Carfax is bad because previous owner had a minor collision. KBB ranges from 10.5 to 13 and they offered 7 at first then 8 when I was leaving. Problem is I still owe about 15 on it so I don't want too much negative equity.

KBB can sometimes be "nice" regarding seller pov value. Edmunds, Truecar and Carguruus is fun to shop numbers also. To be fair to yourself, you'll want real world numbers for retail or trade value otherwise you'll be walking around with your head in the clouds.
The offer of 7 to 8k falls inline with your lower KBB value just due to the convenience of a dealer trade in. Nobody wants to settle for wholesale value the dealers offer but it's convenient and we can sometimes afford it. Paying down the loan to not rolling loss into the next deal is wise.

In my experience, it's a given dealers will have a min of $3000 profit in a deal on their thinnest sale of the month. That's pretty likely on a car they'll list at high retail anywhere from $8000 to 12 or 15 k range. Beyond that, they can make some serious bank.That 3k is number between your hold out to get them above the first lowball offer and what they deal down to when it's resold to the new owner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mightymousetech

If you are upside down on the loan, now is not the time to be looking for a new car.

Ding ding ding ding we have a winner!

If you are upside down, time and patience are your friend. You will eventually get out of it.

Have you looked into a refinance? Rates are so low my son refinanced both his vehicles with the credit union. If you refinance at a lower rate you will make headway faster AND same some money per month, which you could use to make extra payments on the principle.

Originally Posted by KCJeep

If you are upside down on the loan, now is not the time to be looking for a new car.

Ding ding ding ding we have a winner!

If you are upside down, time and patience are your friend. You will eventually get out of it.

Have you looked into a refinance? Rates are so low my son refinanced both his vehicles with the credit union. If you refinance at a lower rate you will make headway faster AND same some money per month, which you could use to make extra payments on the principle.

I've already got 2.49% which isn't too bad.

So I'm looking at the comparison between the S trim and the Autobahn and I noticed something that to me was strange. It said one of the features the Autobahn has that the S trim doesn't is an anti-theft/car alarm. I guess I was shocked that a brand new car in 2020 that costs $25k wouldn't have that standard. If I didn't live in a city that has very high car theft rates, I probably wouldn't care as much. Does anyone know/have any experience with after market anti-theft installation? Just trying to get an idea of what that extra cost might look like.

You're upside down on a car loan the minute you buy it. Besides, if I can pay off a smaller negative balance or better yet, get it rolled over to the new loan that would be at 0%, I'd be ok. That's why I want more than 8 for it. If I get 11 or 12, I can pay off the rest.

You're not going to be getting 0% interest if you roll in the negative equity...

You're upside down on a car loan the minute you buy it. Besides, if I can pay off a smaller negative balance or better yet, get it rolled over to the new loan that would be at 0%, I'd be ok. That's why I want more than 8 for it. If I get 11 or 12, I can pay off the rest.

You are only upside down if you don't put enough, or anything, down at purchase.

Rolling negative equity into a new car loan is how you end up eventually owing $60k on a $20k car.

It's the times we live in and not necessarily that particular sales guy, IMO. What car are you trying to trade in?

Lightly used cars don't sell because there are some really good incentives and 0% financing on brand new ones. So people either buy brand new cars or old cheap cars that they can pay cash for. The rest of the stuff in the middle is a tough sell.

It's a 2013 G37S 6MT. 85k miles and in good shape. Said the Carfax is bad because previous owner had a minor collision. KBB ranges from 10.5 to 13 and they offered 7 at first then 8 when I was leaving. Problem is I still owe about 15 on it so I don't want too much negative equity.

Think of it like this. The price they're offering you depends on a couple of things such as

#1 Can the make money by putting your car on their lot? Y or N? If No, proceed to #2
#2 Can they not loose money when the car is sent to auction? Y or N?

You are only upside down if you don't put enough, or anything, down at purchase.

Rolling negative equity into a new car loan is how you end up eventually owing $60k on a $20k car.

Well I certainly don't want to roll it over and that's why I can't take only 8 for it.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Think of it like this. The price they're offering you depends on a couple of things such as

#1 Can the make money by putting your car on their lot? Y or N? If No, proceed to #2
#2 Can they not loose money when the car is sent to auction? Y or N?

That's hard to say but I would think a 6 speed G37 would be something that would garner some decent interest.

That's hard to say but I would think a 6 speed G37 would be something that would garner some decent interest.

No it would not. It is Infinity. Maybe BMW or Audi or Subaru WRX, something like that. Even those car manufacturers that are synonym with manual transmission are having hard time selling them.

thumbsup2.gif

Agree, except that Subaru... WRX still has pretty good market penetration with their manuals (the alternative is a CVT
31.gif
).

I have also heard that the manual in the G37 is a bit notchy... not so great.

?

It might, though, generate some interest from people like me, haha...

A 6MT will get some interest but it's typically "within the community".
Infiniti or sports car fans will search and seek at times but for a car dealer, they are selling to the masses and specialty or interesting features isn't so much of a 'thing'. Added value or admiration would finds it's way only in happenstance.
A specialty dealer that focuses more toward cars -not to the masses- might be better but dealer pays are a level of loss versus private sale. Some lots go more for the fancy cars, sport cars, Pick ups or Jeeps and are known by what their consistent inventory is made up of.
Infiniti can often be a car that others ask you about and say; "let me know if you ever want to sell it". Friends ? Family ? Neighbors ? Anyone come to mind that was impressed with it when you first got it ?

When I debadged mine, I had people walking up in store parking lots to inquire what it was. It was ironic how I thought of it as stealth and it "garnered decent interest."
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by bachman

A 6MT will get some interest but it's typically "within the community".
Infiniti or sports car fans will search and seek at times but for a car dealer, they are selling to the masses and specialty or interesting features isn't so much of a 'thing'. Added value or admiration would finds it's way only in happenstance.
A specialty dealer that focuses more toward cars -not to the masses- might be better but dealer pays are a level of loss versus private sale. Some lots go more for the fancy cars, sport cars, Pick ups or Jeeps and are known by what their consistent inventory is made up of.
Infiniti can often be a car that others ask you about and say; "let me know if you ever want to sell it". Friends ? Family ? Neighbors ? Anyone come to mind that was impressed with it when you first got it ?

When I debadged mine, I had people walking up in store parking lots to inquire what it was. It was ironic how I thought of it as stealth and it "garnered decent interest."
grin2.gif

Honestly, I think the unknown of a private sale is what's keeping me away from that. I'm just not sure how the whole process works. I'm sure there are tutorials on the internet but I'm afraid that someone will rip me off or that I'll somehow not do the process correctly.

Cash or certified funds from the local branch of a major FDIC bank where you can walk in and verify them. No personal checks or from out of state credit unions or internet lenders for sure. Mechanic inspections are fine I if they pay for them and the mechanic comes with or is within a reaonalbe distance of where you live. From a dealers perspective there is simply too much that can go wrong with a 8 year old sports/GT/Luxury car be it German, Japanese or American to pay more then a $1000 premium for it being a 6mt. If you want to see real pain, look at what trade in on a mid 2000's-2010 Alpina or AMG that was $90k+ is going for these days.

Originally Posted by greenjp
Anybody know what the current going sales price is for the GTI or GLI relative to MSRP? That 72 months at 0% is pretty intriguing...

I'm picking up a NEW 2019 Jetta SEL this week. 0%/72mos + 180days until 1st payment. Pics when I pick it up. Black.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Anybody know what the current going sales price is for the GTI or GLI relative to MSRP? That 72 months at 0% is pretty intriguing...

I'm picking up a NEW 2019 Jetta SEL this week. 0%/72mos + 180days until 1st payment. Pics when I pick it up. Black.

The 2019 VWs are heavily discounted here in Central Texas. As far as GLI, the 3 dealerships I've reached out to have offered it to me for about $2,000-$3,500 below MSRP.

Nice! Those deals can be tempting with unusual times still ahead. Nice car.

All 2019s have been pretty heavily discounted here before Covid, but the financing options are new.

The 2019 VWs are heavily discounted here in Central Texas. As far as GLI, the 3 dealerships I've reached out to have offered it to me for about $2,000-$3,500 below MSRP.

The 2019's better warranty makes it well worth it. This car will be handed down to my youngest daughter in 7 years.

Yeah, MSRP on mine was $26,959. I am paying $23,700 OTD with new plate.

Ended up paying a little less than ^^^. New plate was $116. I put $2500 down so financed a hair over $21k. First payment not until 10/14/20. Then 71 payments @ 0%. Love it. It will be handed down to my youngest (9 year old) when her time comes to drive.
36.3mpg and rising!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Back