Lots of Big Sur pics, only one of the car :-)

Hello Y'all:

Today I took a second drive from our home up Hwy 1 (the Pacific Coast Highway, or the "PCH") to Big Sur and back. I took my wife this time and rather than take the E46 we took our E90. We had a big, winter-like rainstorm yesterday (Sunday), but Monday arrived and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Unlike my other recent thread, which AZJeff correctly pointed out was too much car and not enough scenery (and he was right), this thread should make things right. So, AZJeff, this is for you! :)

Enjoy the scenery. My family and I feel very fortunate to live here.

Scott

IMG_3205.jpeg

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3212.jpeg

IMG_3215.jpeg

IMG_3217.jpeg

IMG_3218.jpeg

IMG_3224.jpeg

IMG_3225.jpeg

Stunning! My daughter and SIL worked in San Diego, SF, and LA and we loved our trips there, your state has so much natural beauty and diversity it bends your mind. Only problem was you couldn't go anywhere without being in a crowd. If 50% of the people would leave it would be paradise again for you. Wait, they are and they're coming to Az!
33.gif

Thanks for sharing now back to the impossibly perfect BMW underbody shots.
thumbsup2.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about. We need to get back out there and ride the PCH. Thanks for the pics.

The Big Sur is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful places in the world.
There is a reason for it.

You are a skilled photographer.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Stunning! My daughter and SIL worked in San Diego, SF, and LA and we loved our trips there, your state has so much natural beauty and diversity it bends your mind. Only problem was you couldn't go anywhere without being in a crowd. If 50% of the people would leave it would be paradise again for you. Wait, they are and they're coming to Az!
33.gif

Thanks for sharing now back to the impossibly perfect BMW underbody shots.
thumbsup2.gif

The only parts of California that are seriously overcrowded is SoCal, the SF Bay Area, and the Sacramento region.

For example, Santa Clara County, the birthplace of Silicon Valley is 1306 sq/mi and has a population of nearly 2 million people. My wife and I grew up in Santa Clara County (Saratoga and Los Gatos), my wife being a third generation Cali girl. I lived in Santa Clara County beginning in 1958. We now live in San Luis Obispo County, which is 3616 sq/mi but only has a population of about 300K. We've lived in SLO County for 17 years now (I was able to work remotely for my job). We still have family and friends up in the SF Bay Area, but whenever I'm up there I can't wait to get back to SLO County. Sadly, I really dislike my old stomping grounds now. When I was a kid my parent's house was surrounded by apricot orchards. As kids my friends and I used to play war in those orchards! The horror! :) Times have changed in many ways.

Scott

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The Big Sur is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful places in the world.
There is a reason for it.

You are a skilled photographer.

I used my iphone7!!! The only photo editing I did was crop them.

Scott

Originally Posted by 02SE
Now that's what I'm talking about. We need to get back out there and ride the PCH. Thanks for the pics.

Bicycles? If your fit enough to do it now, do it NOW! Compared to "normal", auto traffic was down 95% today. Not a single motorhome in sight. I'd say we only saw 6 or 7 oncoming cars the entire distance between Cambria and "downtown" Big Sur. Both directions.

Scott

And lastly, this one. This picture was taken on Hwy 46 West, about 5 miles from our house as the crow flies. That is Morro Bay in the distance. Notice Morro Rock.

Scott

IMG_3249.jpeg

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

Bicycles? If your fit enough to do it now, do it NOW! Compared to "normal", auto traffic was down 95% today. Not a single motorhome in sight. I'd say we only saw 6 or 7 oncoming cars the entire distance between Cambria and "downtown" Big Sur. Both directions.

Scott

While the wife and I have Bicycles, and we are fit, our passion is riding Motorcycles. We've both been riding since the age of 6.

I'll see what the wife thinks about heading out there. We just spent the last two weeks self isolating and riding dirtbikes at the dunes. Two weeks on Sportbikes traveling that epic road (and roads just inland) sounds awfully appealing.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

Scott

While the wife and I have Bicycles, and we are fit, our passion is riding Motorcycles. We've both been riding since the age of 6.

I'll see what the wife thinks about heading out there. We just spent the last two weeks self isolating and riding dirtbikes at the dunes. Two weeks on Sportbikes traveling that epic road (and roads just inland) sounds awfully appealing.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

If you can I suggest you try and ride Hwy 1 now. Hwy 1 with "normal" tourist traffic is a serious drag. You're mostly stuck following a line of cars going 25mph, and passing is few and far between. Also too, for an unreal side trip, ride up and over Naciemento-Ferguson Road to Fort Hunter Liggett. I used to race bicycles in the '90s. We raced up NFR at 85 miles into a 210 mile road race. NFR is a WALL. Savagely brutal when you're racing a bicycle. In some sections you have to "shoelace" the road to keep the wheels turning. The road is so steep the views you get almost give you vertigo.

Not my photo, but you get the idea!

Scott

100248.jpg

Your pics brought back some great memories. Rode my bicycle up to Big Sur from Morro Bay last year - god's country for sure. And some serious elevation gain!

I cruised up and down PCH back in 2007. I went camping in Big Sur and did the 26k Big Sur marathon. It's beautiful out there, but I could never live there.

Breathtaking! Thanks for sharing. Wish we had mountains and curvy sweet roads here. South Florida is a muscle cars paradise.... long straights. And i mean LONG.

Back