Cut open Motorcraft FL820S

Off a Crown Vic, 4.6 2v. Ran 3000 miles with Mobil Super Synthetic 0w-20. Filter media not torn at this short OCI. Everything looks okay (besides the can mauled open with dull tin snips). I did open/seperate the pleat sections that were large/irregularly gapped, no tearing. Obviously the silicone ADBV is floppy/supple as it should be expected being silicone and a 3000mi OCI.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That wide pleat was begging for some torn media.

Thanks for the cut and post. I use this filter on my 97 Ford F150. I keep the OCI at 3000 miles. I do a lot of short city driving with my satellite installer job. So now I know more surely it is doing OK with this milage. My alternate filter for this vehicle is the Supertech ST2.

It seems that users here have likened to taking personal offense to people changing their oil on their own time with their own money they way they want. It's not like one who is changing their oil more often than absolutely necessary is harming anything else but the psyche of internet oil scientists.

Every time somebody changes their oil with something besides a long drain interval without the exact oil any given internet oil scientist deems fit I hear: "STOP you need 2 go 110,000 miles with mobil 1 EP or ur wasting $0.00024 cents per mile on average otherwise and I am very upset. The posted UOA of that particular oil in your exact vehicle in your exact driving conditions should allow you to go 94,234.2345 miles per OCI if you change out the filter every 10k"

That's a dramatization, in all seriousness I have a huge quantity of oil amassed from raiding clearance deals (5 qt syn jugs from $3-10) that the plastic will biodegrade away before I get to it with 5000+ mi OCIs.
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

For sure. I feel as if it would be the prime candidate for an extended OCI. This will be my last OCI with a MC filter. Stocked up on NAPA Gold.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Just wait for the haters to post up. Oh, just 3,000 miles? That's not long enough.

Dont you ever have anything positive or nice to say?

People don't hate them either so you know; there are just other filters out there for similar price that do just fine.

Weird little twist in there for sure. Motor looks really clean though by that filter, no debris at all. How many miles on the motor?
How long did that 3000 miles take?
What oil/filter did you use this time?

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
It seems that users here have likened to taking personal offense to people changing their oil on their own time with their own money they way they want. It's not like one who is changing their oil more often than absolutely necessary is harming anything else but the psyche of internet oil scientists.

While a agree with you for some (and I know you are kind of saying this tongue in cheek) feel that everyone needs to do long intervals.
But there are also those that know for most, a 3000 mile interval is a short interval in most situations. But not all.

I will be doing a change on my F150 in a few weeks, I have just over 3000 miles on this interval, but it has been over 14 months with mostly short trips.
I too have more oil than I will use in about 5 years with my current oil change intervals on all the vehicles in my sig, but no reason to dump good oil.
That said, I will be dumping good oil from my mom's Kia in a few weeks. < 2000 miles, but warranty says every 6 months, and she does nothing but short distance. I should just take that oil and use it in my truck...

Off a Crown Vic, 4.6 2v. Ran 3000 miles with Mobil Super Synthetic 0w-20. Filter media not torn at this short OCI. Everything looks okay (besides the can mauled open with dull tin snips). I did open/seperate the pleat sections that were large/irregularly gapped, no tearing. Obviously the silicone ADBV is floppy/supple as it should be expected being silicone and a 3000mi OCI.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yikes !!! That's reason i dont use MC filters anymore. I'm running full syn 5W20 and XG's on my 09 VIC from now on for longer OCI's

On my fleet I'm doing 3 x 5000 mile OCI's per year on 1 XG filter=15K total. which are rated up to 20K but better safe than sorry

Dave

Hey there clearance Dave, FYI guys this one is the reason I have so much oil!
lol.gif

Ain't I a little stinka
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

As usual, another MC oil filter that did its job. MC oil filters, the best oil filters made! Esp. the 820S!

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

As usual, another MC oil filter that did its job. MC oil filters, the best oil filters made! Esp. the 820S!

Ahh you been drinking too much again ??

You high ( and not on life by the way) ??

lol.gif

The Motorcraft FL 400s and FL 500s are really very good filters...

820s.... Are suspect..

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

Ahh you been drinking too much again ??

You high ( and not on life by the way) ??

lol.gif

The Motorcraft FL 400s and FL 500s are really very good filters...

820s.... Are suspect..

Trolling and booze don't mix, lol ...
Trolling.gif
laugh.gif

Just wait for the haters to post up. Oh, just 3,000 miles? That's not long enough.

Here we go with another "mud stirrer", had to be the first.

Originally Posted by Lubener

Here we go with another "mud stirrer", had to be the first.

This is BITOG, did you expect anything less?

You wanna criticize someone's "early changing" habits; criticize mine.....well, my old ones.

When I was in the thick of it (fanatically checking and changing people's oil) I'd change my 0W-40 early and use the drained oil as top offs in my friends and relative's' cars. When my drained oil supply was used up I'd change my oil again.

A true vicious cycle. I'm better now.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Dont you ever have anything positive or nice to say?

People don't hate them either so you know; there are just other filters out there for similar price that do just fine.

+1.
Even though I use MC filters(910s and 2017B) at this time I would not use the 820 if my engine require that size filter. Some day this will change.

Back