Kia Rio awful sound after sitting 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helping a friend bring this car back to like. He bought it new but it has been sitting for at least 5 years. I think the car is a 2005.

He replaced the starter, brakes, serp and timing belts. Now it runs, but is making a racket from the back (trans side) of the engine. It seems up high, like up in the cams. Does this thing have vvt? It has what look like some solenoids up in the area. Here's a vid:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r9w9MRCRho6xPrfJ7

I told him to cut the oil filter open and look for debris. He said when he changed the oil it was pretty sludgy, which makes me nervous that the engine had a stroke.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by antonmnster
I think the car is a 2005.....Thoughts?

Those early Kia's were generally garbage straight outta the gate.
Considering he had "pretty sludgy" oil coming out, leads me to believe it was neglected prior to being "stored".

Despite him purchasing it new, doesn't mean it was maintained from 2005-2015
Tell him to pony up and buy something newer.

Put a can of Rislone in it and see what happens. And maybe consider changing the oil and filter again before doing this. Just an inexpensive oil and filter. You never know.

It's definitely on the back, by #4.

A bad spring/retainer sounds interesting. But it runs perfectly, otherwise. I'd expect a miss if the valves were an issue?

What about a cracked flex plate?

My daughter had a 2004 and it was a POS. I was always working on it. She eventually blew the motor by running it out of coolant. Best thing that could have happened to it.

Well if the oil that drained out was sludgy then what's up in the valve train is probably sludgy, I guess you could try using an engine flush, or adding some seafoam or gumout multi system tune up in the oil over a couple oil changes and see if it clears the sludge from the lifters.

If the car has VVT, then that unit probaby fell apart as most all of them do.
They make all kinds of racket. If it has an oil feed screen you can try cleaning that first.

I would guess this engine has inverted SUbucket tappets with no hydraulic lash takeup.

Older Honda can even have issue with oil feed mesh blockage on thier VTEC.

Was the car under water? What is the oil sludgy? Another never changer?

Keep on playing with it.
Do your CBAs.
Auto or manual? Does it go into gear?

That's the kind of vehicle you can pour used fluids into to clear out the lumps.

Originally Posted by antonmnster
It's definitely on the back, by #4.

A bad spring/retainer sounds interesting. But it runs perfectly, otherwise. I'd expect a miss if the valves were an issue?

What about a cracked flex plate?

Open it up and you can just confirm one way or the other....

Who knows if a oil gallery or galleries is so badly sludged up that oil is not getting up to the valve assembly.

Five years is a long time to sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back