'16 Pilot Inline ATF filter

Being stuck at home looking for different projects with one of them being a D&F on my '16 Honda Pilot with 6 speed AT. I've had a tranny service done around 10K ago with 3 x consecutive D&F but have another 8qts of DW1 sitting in the garage so why not. What I was wondering about is if I should change out the tranny filter as well. I've looked up a video on it and it seems pretty straight forward and the cost if fairly low - 30$. Here's the diagram
Please note - 40K on the car at the time of this post. So what do you pros think?

2020-04-06_20-53-44.jpg

I'd go on ahead and change it out if you can get to it, I'll be doing 4 drain and fills on my mother's 2008 Odyssey over the next few weeks, the tranny was rebuilt about 4 years and 44000mi ago, I'd change out the stupid filter on it if Honda didn't bury the blasted thing deep inside the transmission where it can only be replaced during a rebuild
mad.gif

Yes. I would replace it while doing 1 D&F.
BTW, splitting hairs to be sure with your maintenance regime, but doing 1 D&F every 10k instead of 3 D&F every 30k would keep fresher fluid in there on average. Yes, that's getting in the weeds but I think that's the point of this site, or something.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjamming
Yes. I would replace it while doing 1 D&F.
BTW, splitting hairs to be sure with your maintenance regime, but doing 1 D&F every 10k instead of 3 D&F every 30k would keep fresher fluid in there on average. Yes, that's getting in the weeds but I think that's the point of this site, or something.
wink.gif

Yes, that is the plan. I had 3xD&F done at 30k and has decided to do 10K from then on. Just stumbled upon this video and it is stuck in my head now - if there is a filter and it can be replaced, I feel like I absolutely have to!!!

I replaced the inline filter on my 2008 Accord at like 100k.
I cut it open and it was clean, like there wasn't even anything to catch.
I recall posting it a long time ago.

Thanks for the reminder on this. Just ordered an inline filter for our odyssey.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Thanks for the reminder on this. Just ordered an inline filter for our odyssey.

Do you mind me asking how often do you generally wait before you replace an inline filter on Honda products?
Also, where do you source them from?
Thank you

I bought mine from a legitimate Honda dealer on Ebay. This was because they offered the item at the same price as Bernardi or Honda Parts Now, but without shipping costs. Had I bought $75 worth of qualified stuff from Bernardi, Id have gotten free shipping like I did for the one item on Ebay, but I didnt have $75 worth of stuff to buy. Be careful with Ebay and Amazon - lots of third world junk with fake Honda bags and boxes, sold uber-cheap... and a counterfeit lie.

How long? I dont know. I figure an odyssey in mostly in-town use probably sees a decent amount of stress on the AT. I look at it generically like this: Old school of thought was AT service at 36k. Then Dex IIIH got us to 100k (in theory) for light use. These older design ATs generally required a pan drop and filter replacement. So I figure somewhere between 36 and 100k is the right level for non-towing, non-taxi, generally light duty use. Probably a bit on the earlier side for a heavier vehicle with in town use. So I want to do it around 60k, and so Im targeting the next oil change (probably 55k or so?) to do it.

I do drain the AT via the plug, and replace the same amount of fluid, every other change. So its probably pretty clean. But I actually want to cut it apart and see!

If not against forum rules, can you name the Honda dealer who gave free shipping? If not, can you private message me with the info?

I need some maintenance items and a few other items for my 2019 Pilot.

Thanks

Back