Help choose a Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tc1446
Was about to ask about a low miles used '17 Infinity QX50, 3.7, 7sp auto that I like. Does this one fall in same boat as all of the above?

Infiniti has been spared, other than the complaints I've heard about declining interior quality, I've not heard anything bad about the Jatco 7speed, been used in most Infiniti vehicles for like a decade now and the only complaints I think I've ever heard were about rough shifting on the early G37s but that was fixed with a software update.

I did a lot of serious research when I was looking to purchase a used vehicle the end of last year and the beginning of this year. As someone here on BITOG posted, the only companies that make CVT that I would consider purchasing are Honda, and Toyota. They said that because those are the only ones that hold up for long use. And even then you have to change the CVT fluid when recommended, or even before that if it is in severe use. A lot of stop and go traffic, and or a lot of hills, and or loading the vehicle with a lot of weight to carry, and or towing are severe use for a CVT. If you do any of those you should change the CVT fluid at the severe use change recommendation.

Years ago the Nissan Murano CVT transmission was so bad that so many of them were replaced under warranty that Nissan had to stop using CVT's for some years, then after a few years they switched back to again using CVT's

I was looking at Nissan, Honda, and Toyota and stopped by a local very big transmission repair shop (they have 10 bays all with lifts) and I have used them to change the fluid and filter on our 2001 Impala a couple of times over the years so I know the owner. I asked him if Nissan has now got there CVT design fixed to be reliable, and he said "No, they still break as often as they use to, and when they do you are looking at over $5000 for a new one (they are not rebuild-able) and more than $600 labor to replace it." So I ruled out Nissan, and only looked at Honda, and Toyota.

I looked on the Toyota Forums and Honda Forums and learned that there are some complaints about the recent Toyota vehicles, so I learned more about Honda. On Wikipedia you can research any vehicle and see the years each generation spans. When they redesign a vehicle it is called a new generation, and in general they stay with that design for several years (that makes up a generation). The Honda CR-V fourth generation spans from 2012 to 2016, however in 2015 they went to a CVT and there was a technical service bulletin for a problem with the 2015 year because at certain speeds the back end of the vehicle would vibrate (you can look it up on YouTube). And one of the post here on BITOG said that one of the best years in general to buy any used vehicle is the last year of a generation (that is because by then the manufacturer has got most of the bugs in the design of that generation fixed). That would be 2016 for the 4th generation of the Honda CR-V. Honda was supposed to have the vibration problem fixed by then. The 2017 is the beginning of a new generation of design, they switched from the 2.4 L normally aspirated direct injection 4 cylinder engine that they had made for years to a 1.5 L direct injected turbo-charged 4 cylinder engine, and it did have some problems with fuel getting past the pistons and into the oil, and something in the vehicle discharging the battery by having some of the components of the vehicle stay on when the vehicle was not being used for a few days, and there are complaints by owners in northern climates that say the 1.5 L engine takes way too long before it produces enough heat for defrosting the windows and heating the cabin in the winter. Look it up on YouTube. While the 5th generation of the Honda CR-V (2017 and later models) with the 1.5 L engine produce a little more HP and get about 1 MPG more than the 4th generation, the lack of heat in the winter, and other problems ruled out the 2017 and 2018, and 2019 model years for me. So I decided to look for a good used 2016 CR-V with a good Car-Fax report and also Car-Fax reports of having the oil changed when it should have. The last thing I want to buy in a used vehicle is something that someone did not change the oil on often enough. Car-Fax used vehicles list vehicles and their Car-Fax reports, and I found one and bought it. If you want something larger than the CR-V (it has seating room for 5, 2 in front, 3 in back) then look at the Honda Pilot ( it has a third row of seats ).

BTW, the Honda CR-V 2016 models year is a very reliable vehicle and I am much more than happy with the one I have, but there are still a few minor design problems that could be better. The engine sometimes has a slight vibration at idle, and the back end can still vibrate. But not anywhere near as bad as the 2015 year. I Have 600 miles on mine and the engine has vibrated at idle once, and the back end has vibrated once, both times it was minor and only for a short amount of time compared to the YouTube videos that some owners of 2015 CR-V have posted. Considering the bullet-proof reliability of Honda in general and the Honda CR-V in particular I am glad I chose a Honda 2016 CR-V used vehicle. If you chose a CR-V and anyone who will be using it and they also will be loading stuff such as groceries into the trunk space, then look for a "touring model" with the fully automatic power open and power close back gate. Or you can retro-fit the auto-power lift and close. There are companies that sell the parts for about $500, and if you want the kick to open switch that is available on the aftermarket designs for about $65.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are YouTube videos of reviews of different vehicles, and even some comparing different manufactures of similar size models.

Do your research both with mechanics, transmission shops, and the internet, including YouTube.

Good luck.

Last edited:
BTW, Subaru also makes some vehicles in the same class, but if you research it you will find many complaints of the AC systems on them constantly breaking and requiring expensive repairs.

The Honda CV-T rear end fluid requires changing every 15 K to 20 K miles. It takes less than 2 quarts, and is very easy to do. There are videos on YouTube of how to do it. Always loosen the fill plug first just incase it will not move. You do not want to drain it and then go to fill it and find you can not get the fill plug loose.

If you do not change it the rear end can chatter when going around turns, if it gets that bad there are YouTube videos that say to change it and then drive in circles backwards and change directions so you do some turning left and some turning right while going backwards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blufeb95
Was about to ask about a low miles used '17 Infinity QX50, 3.7, 7sp auto that I like. Does this one fall in same boat as all of the above?

Infiniti has been spared, other than the complaints I've heard about declining interior quality, I've not heard anything bad about the Jatco 7speed, been used in most Infiniti vehicles for like a decade now and the only complaints I think I've ever heard were about rough shifting on the early G37s but that was fixed with a software update.

Apprec info. Good to hear something positive. Only downside for me so far is poor gas milage, but otherwise my wife and I really like the looks of it. Not into all the high tech stuff on newer cars. Prefer the lower tech, somewhat old fashioned look of the '17 Qx 50.

My father had an Altima bought new in 2012, he never had a single issue with it. I didn't tell him about the CVT known issues as he just would have worried about it and he was already into it before I knew about it. He traded it at 82k and told me it was starting to lag or hesitate about that time, I suspected the CVT but it was gone before any real issue. I saw one at work in a Rouge around 60k we had to call a tow it had dumped tranny fluid all over the road and it wasn't going anywhere on it's own.

It would be nice to see where everyone sources their CVT's, does anyone know? Nissans are obviously Jatco's, what do Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Mitsubishi use I wonder???

I am no Subaru fan but whatever CVT they use seems to be pretty good.

My buddy is an Infiniti nut, they have had 2 G35xs and a G37x. The G35s have been problematic as they aged but transmissions are not one of the issues. Both G35s are approaching 200k. Do those have CVT's? I don't even know.

We just bought a 2018 Rogue with around 13k miles. Wasn't aware that the CVT's were such an issue and we did a good bit of research. Is it really that bad or are people on here being overdramatic?

Originally Posted by KCJeep
My

My buddy is an Infiniti nut, they have had 2 G35xs and a G37x. The G35s have been problematic as they aged but transmissions are not one of the issues. Both G35s are approaching 200k. Do those have CVT's? I don't even know.

The G35s would have a Jatco 5 speed, and the G37 would have a Jatco 7 speed.

Apprec info. Good to hear something positive. Only downside for me so far is poor gas milage, but otherwise my wife and I really like the looks of it. Not into all the high tech stuff on newer cars. Prefer the lower tech, somewhat old fashioned look of the '17 Qx 50.

I've looked at a few G cars and M cars, and one of the big thing that turned me off of them was the not so great fuel economy and the requirement of premium fuel , also the idea of writing a $10,000+ check for a 10-ish year old car was too hard for me to deal with. I've been on the look out for a good 02-06 Altima with the 2.5l, the 4 speed auto in those is reliable and the 4 cylinder gets OK gas mileage but only needs 87 unlike the VQ which needs 91+.

I've looked at a few G cars and M cars, and one of the big thing that turned me off of them was the not so great fuel economy and the requirement of premium fuel , also the idea of writing a $10,000+ check for a 10-ish year old car was too hard for me to deal with. I've been on the look out for a good 02-06 Altima with the 2.5l, the 4 speed auto in those is reliable and the 4 cylinder gets OK gas mileage but only needs 87 unlike the VQ which needs 91+.

I have a G37 S right now. Engine is fantastic but maintenance is a bit more pricey and yeah, premium fuel. The thing to watch out for is bad sunroof drain plugs. You can do an easy test by pouring a little bit of water into the drain. If you see any water dripping or leaking on your floorboards, you have to get them changed. It's a $1500 dollar job at the dealer for a $10 part. You can do it yourself but it's not very easy. It's a big problem because the water gets very close to the ECM. It's an engineering disaster and should 100% be a recall since the ECM can be affected.

Originally Posted by TCU_Adam
We just bought a 2018 Rogue with around 13k miles. Wasn't aware that the CVT's were such an issue and we did a good bit of research. Is it really that bad or are people on here being overdramatic?

I wouldn't sweat it. My in-laws have been leasing Rogues every 3yrs or so since they came out in ~2007. Never an issue with them or the CVT, but not a lot of miles racked up on each one.

If you want to keep them long term, regular CVT fluid changes and changing the gear oil in the transfer case and rear diff on AWD models is important.

BTW, while I was seriously searching, I found a 2016 Honda CR-V that was located a little further away then I would normally want to travel, but the miles on it were low, and the price was lower than expected. I posted the VIN here on BITOG and some members were kind enough to find a history on it that I did not know about that indicated it had been in a significant accident and had major frame damage. They saved me from making a major mistake.

So OP, if you find something you are seriously considering, you may want to post the VIN and all the other info you have about it here on BITOG and ask others to please scrutinize it. If it is a good choice they will tell you, and if it is a bad one they just may save you from making a big mistake.

And to those who helped me out with those replies back then, THANK YOU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back