Oil for Jeep

I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the V-6 engine. It calls for 0-20 and I think it has Pennzoil synthetic in it. What oil would you uae? Just a question because I never liked Pennzoil.

Most of the Jeep guys over on the Jeep Wrangler forums use 0W-20 in whatever flavor they like (fairly certain your 3.6L is the same as the one in the Wrangler). The FCA Material Standard MS-6395 is not a stringent one and any 0W-20 can easily meet it (even those which do not list it). Most of the time, I see Mobil chosen but Valvoline, Pennzoil, and Castrol get the nod too. I like the titanium in the additive package in Castrol so that is what I use. You really cannot go wrong with any of them.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
I would keep putting pennzoil platinum in it. However if your totally against it shell gas truck is good. Whatever is in sale.

+1 on Pennzoil Platinum. My Caravan with the Pentastar 3.6L I've used Valvoline Synpower 5w-20, VWB 5w-30, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and 5w-30 and Pennzoil Ultra 0w-20. No issues for me with any of the oil brands. VWB is only used from April to November.

So the MS 6395 is 0W20 now? It used to be 5W20 on the Pentastar. I would use Valvoline white bottle for a shorter OCI and their synthetic for a longer interval. I have been going a year/10k miles using Ravenol.

Originally Posted by sloinker
So the MS 6395 is 0W20 now?

No, MS6395 is a certification that can be assigned to 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 if the oil meets FCA's standards. Conventional and synthetic can be MS6395 certified.

Last edited:
We've been running M1 EP 0w-20 in our HEMI, we ran both Castrol Edge 0w-20 and M1 EP 0w-20 in our Pentastar powered Durango. The M1 product has a very large percentage of PAO in its base oil blend, which means, all things equal (which they never are) better oxidation resistance, which might be of benefit to you in sunny Florida.

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
FWIW none of the Mobil 1 lineup carries the MS6394 approval.

Correct, but depending on the verbiage in the manual, it may not be a requirement.

I've run mostly M1 AP 0w20 in mine, but did 1 run of PUP and one of M1 EP. All produced good UOA's. I like the PAO in the M1 oils, but I think this engine is easy on oil, so any of them will perform well. Btw, that is indeed the Pentastar Upgrade in the Grand Cherokee, which is the same as in the new 2018+ JL Wrangler. I believe the engine's debut was in the 2017 Grand Cherokee. I'm up for another change soon and will probably continue with the M1, although a bottle of Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 is staring at me from my stash. I got it for free after rebate.

I am not sure what is wrong with pennzoil but any oil with the ratings listed in the owners manual from the major companies would be fine to use.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Correct, but depending on the verbiage in the manual, it may not be a requirement.

Agreed. I just bought a new 2020 1500 Laramie and the owners manual recommends 5W-20 that meets MS-6395, an argument could probably be made that that's not quite the same as requiring 5W-20 that meets MS-6395.

Mobil 1 undoubtedly far exceeds the MS-6395 standards, they apparently have chosen not to pay for the certification since FCA switched from them to Pennzoil as the factory fill a few years ago.

Originally Posted by rokwldr
I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the V-6 engine. It calls for 0-20 and I think it has Pennzoil synthetic in it. What oil would you uae? Just a question because I never liked Pennzoil.

Valvoline Advanced / Modern Engine
Mobil-1 EP / AP
Castrol Edge EP

On a tight budget.... Castrol Magnatec Full Syn. NAPA Syn, Mag-1 Syn or Supertech Syn
These brands I listed keep you far away from your disliked Pennzoil ... which are (SOPUS) products.>>>No Shell - no Quaker State for you.

Last edited:
Stick with Edge … a 3.6L Pentastar is what I had the Magnatec oxidation problem in.
No issues with M1, QSUD, or PG in that motor … exact conditions.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Agreed. I just bought a new 2020 1500 Laramie and the owners manual recommends 5W-20 that meets MS-6395, an argument could probably be made that that's not quite the same as requiring 5W-20 that meets MS-6395.

Mobil 1 undoubtedly far exceeds the MS-6395 standards, they apparently have chosen not to pay for the certification since FCA switched from them to Pennzoil as the factory fill a few years ago.

That's correct, it appears that Mobil has pursued none of the FCA approvals for their Mobil 1 product line since they were dropped as the factory and service fill provider after a long-standing relationship with Chrysler, when FIAT bought them.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Stick with Edge … a 3.6L Pentastar is what I had the Magnatec oxidation problem in.
No issues with M1, QSUD, or PG in that motor … exact conditions.
Was the UOA oxidation a great deal more than the oxidation in a VOA? I had no plans to use Magnatec, but it would be nice to know.

Did not even run a test … this was 5w20 that came out like coal black and dull/flat grade 70 with lumps. It was thixotropic.
Was not even due an OCI … we had just changed the rear end and "checked the hood" when I found this corn dog on the dipstick and clinging to the underside of the fill cap.
Filled with QSUD and took to dealership … nothing wrong with engine/PCV. Nothing since then on 4 brands.
Changing oil at an Exxon since I was 14 to this day … never seen this happen otherwise.

Back