Email Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gebo
Just read a post here talking about email.

What email provider do you use? Are there any really private ones that are good?

I have read about proton. Is there a catch?

Proton mail.
Clean, simple, free for those who wish.I use both a free and paid version. Rock solid, clean and simple, no ads, fast and secure.
I must have over a 10 email accounts and different providers from all over the place.
Proton mail is my go to email program and have been slowly moving everything over to get rid of the others.
Furthermore the proton mail phone app works great on both the iPhone and android.

I do maintain one other email that I intend to keep and that is iCloud since I am now committed to the Mac OS world..

I have at least three old gmail accounts (Ill never use gmail or any company that scans your emails to sell ads) to clean out and get rid of, yahoo, 4 or 5 outlooks to get rid of. Its just insane but have been online since around 1995.
(one tip, if you lose or forget your proton mail password, you will lose all your emails. You wont lose your account and you will be able to reset the password but any emails are lost forever because they are encrypted on your hard drive under the old password... and you lost the password! *L*)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Didn't Hotmail fold .... Outlook takeover maybe?

Both are and have been owned by Microsoft for decades. It's basically the same service. You can have multiple @outlook and @hotmail email addresses that link to the same main Microsoft account.

You have that backwards.
I get one spam per day on Google
I get 25 spams per day when I had Hotmail in 2016,

It all just depends on how heavily you utilize your email account to sign up on various websites and for different services. The more you give out your email address in such a way, the more spam you're going to eventually receive. Doesn't matter if it's Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, or anything else.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Both are and have been owned by Microsoft for decades. It's basically the same service. You can have multiple @outlook and @hotmail email addresses that link to the same main Microsoft account.

When I setup my Microsoft a very long time ago, it was (and still is) @msn.com. It is now called 'Outlook' (still free), and I still have the same @msn.com email address.

Why did you upgrade to the paid one?

Efforts like theirs cost money. I feel there is great value in what they offer and they are responsive to users requests.... what a concept!

Their is tremendous value in their service, perhaps not everyone feels the privacy is worth it, I do; it is a personal choice

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

When I setup my Microsoft a very long time ago, it was (and still is) @msn.com. It is now called 'Outlook' (still free), and I still have the same @msn.com email address.

Yup, MSN, then Hotmail, then in more recent years, Outlook, all iterations of the same free mail hosting service from Microsoft. Their commercial version is Office365, which is my primary go-to for cloud-based mail hosting.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts

Why did you upgrade to the paid one?

Efforts like theirs cost money. I feel there is great value in what they offer and they are responsive to users requests.... what a concept!

Their is tremendous value in their service, perhaps not everyone feels the privacy is worth it, I do; it is a personal choice

yeah, I agree, there is nothing free from google and Microsoft or any other American tech company.
I gladly pay a small modest sum to be independent of their claws, invasion of privacy (which is huge, people have no idea how big) and overgrown bloated programs.

I maintain a free proton mail account for general household stuff and I pay for a protonmail account for my personal use, you get a full contact/address book with the paid and I like the clean interface and most important its fast. Also smooth sailing sending files and attachments.
Anyway, for anyone interested, you can get the free account to try it out, then after some time if you like it, you have the option of paying a small fee. Either way, your information doesnt get sold, you dont get ads delivered to your desktop and you get the same privacy.

No question, when it comes to privacy, proton mail is the way to go, also clean and simple and second to no one when it comes to security,.

With that said, if there was one American company I would trust with privacy that would be apples @iCloud.com email service. Free, simple, clean, ad free... but it would be wrong to think apple doesnt get anything from the relationship, still better then any other American company I would think.

I use both, of course proton mail is known for the most secure and you are not tied to a major tech company but actually with a company that builds its reputation on its security

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
simple_gifts said:
[No question, when it comes to privacy, proton mail is the way to go, also clean and simple and second to no one when it comes to security...

They were hacked and had to pay a ransom in not too distant past. JFYI.

Originally Posted by Y_K
Originally Posted by alarmguy
simple_gifts said:
[No question, when it comes to privacy, proton mail is the way to go, also clean and simple and second to no one when it comes to security...

They were hacked and had to pay a ransom in not too distant past. JFYI.

Not true in the hack sense of the word.
No emails were hacked, it's impossible BTW.
But 5 years ago they were hit with a DOS attack and paid a small ransom to get it to stop but continued.
Again, emails or the system wasn't hacked something I don't think any other providers can claim.

For the layperson in 2015 Protons internet connections were hit with a large DOS attack hurting their internet connection, nothing was hacked.

Last edited:
For all other layperson: they were hacked in 2017, claimed they hacked back, then walked their claim back. That's one of the x0rz attacks that were publicised. There were a few others outside of MSM, but the screenshots are out there...
Good luck anyway.

Originally Posted by Y_K
For all other layperson: they were hacked in 2017, claimed they hacked back, then walked their claim back. That's one of the x0rz attacks that were publicised. There were a few others outside of MSM, but the screenshots are out there...
Good luck anyway.

Why not provide the links or the screenshot you talk about?

I have Yahoo Mail. Had it so long I can't remember. I don't worry about being hacked as I don't have a password as if I sign in from any of my other devices I have to give one time authorization with the phone. I get messages that say are you logging on and if I don't respond it won't let you do anything. I have used it even when doing business before I retired with IT approval of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back