Pros vs Cons of upgrading to better filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok then what oil filter do you recommend to replace the FL820S...have there been a lot of failures of the OEM filter???...

I would think on an F150 Forum where most use this filter there should be many failures traced to that filter by now

Bill

Originally Posted by silversport
ok then what oil filter do you recommend to replace the FL820S...have there been a lot of failures of the OEM filter???...

I would think on an F150 Forum where most use this filter there should be many failures traced to that filter by now

Bill

People don't cut filters open on the F150 forums I am on like we do here.
The Motorcraft filters used to be really good filters, but around 2014 it changed, started having tearing media, almost all in the same place (on either side of the crimp with wide media spacing). Not every filter tears, but there were enough that people started noticing a trend here. It still happens on filters made in 2019. Purolator made filters are also now having issues with ADV having slits in them from the entry holes in the filters not being cleaned up after being drilled. No direct link with it being an issue, but just sloppy manufacturing, and add that to the no response from Purolator regarding the failures, and the continual failures even after being notified just turns me off from them.

As to what to use, that is up to you. Wix has always been a good option, Fram is as well (despite all the hate on Ford forums (and others) for Fram). Basically anything not made by Purolator.

A very low percentage of filters get cut open … but 100% of MC's contain weak paper media, so the odds of failure is higher. It's so thin/weak that they press corrugated pleats in an attempt to strengthen. But that does not make it stronger at the common failure point near the end cap potting.
Why bother when better does not cost more or maybe $2 more …

Originally Posted by 4WD
A very low percentage of filters get cut open … but 100% of MC's contain weak paper media, so the odds of failure is higher. It's so thin/weak that they press corrugated pleats in an attempt to strengthen. But that does not make it stronger at the common failure point near the end cap potting.

Good point. I wish more folks would take me up on my offer to ship me their filters and I'd cut and post them here.

The Auto Extra's we use at work have been reliable

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by 4WD

Good point. I wish more folks would take me up on my offer to ship me their filters and I'd cut and post them here.

The Auto Extra's we use at work have been reliable

I'd be down depending on who pays shipping!

'preciate your responses...I'm not concerned with price and the only reason I have used the Motorcraft FL820S filters as I am new to Ford's and this F150 is the overwhelming response to use only the FL820s filter with the 5.4 3V motor...I've mostly used Mobil 1 or AC Delco Gold/UltraGuard/Racing filters with my other cars...

Bill

The venerable 4.6L 2v mod motor is VERY robust and does not really care what oil/filter you use. If you cannot get 300-400k miles AT A MINIMUM from that engine, you're not even trying hard. Being a fairly old design, the 2v in particular, it does not have a bunch of tight clearances or VVT, etc to worry about. Whatever got past those MC820 filters likely did little harm. These engines run literally hundreds of thousands of miles with just basic service in horridly abusive (taxi service for example) treatment. Any BITOGer need not worry about the lifespan of this engine.

That being said, there's a reasonable cautionary concern for switching away from the 820 to a different decent brand. Your choice of NG (Wix) is a fine one; there are many others.

I had two MGMs with that same motor. Both are still running fine, although no longer in my direct control (one to my son with 140k miles and one to his roommate with 260k miles). Both those engines got 10k mile OFCIs with the most basic of lubes (RK dino 5w-20) and yet turned in perfectly desirable wear data. Those engine do NOT need syns or 3k mile OFCIs to last hundreds of thousands of miles. My UOA data and experiments are posted in the UOAs section of this site. If you want to waste money on OFCIs, that's totally OK with me, but it's not necessary by any stretch of the imagination. The 2v series of mod motors (4.6L, 5.4L, 6.8L) simply do not give a darn about the lube/filter you use as long as they are of any decent quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back