installing garage LED shop light help needed

Hi, I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe.
I recently bought a few 4-ft LED shop lights for my garage. they come with chains to suspend them. my garage has drywall on the ceilings. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to mount these. I've never mounted anything to ceilings so I'm not sure if a regular stud finder would work? are there any drywall anchors that I can use that would make my life easier, the lights themselves each way about seven or eight pounds tops. thank you

I used little screw in type hooks to mount my last set. Drill a pilot hole and try to hit at least a few studs.

Or you can use a toggle bolt style hook.

I would use a stud finder & look for joists/rafters, might even be able to use one of those telescoping ceiling fan junction box with supports. Or wear a hard hat whenever you're working on something!
crazy.gif

A stud finder should work and the drywall in **most** garages is not that "finished" so you should be able to find dimples in the drywall where they nailed/screwed it into the studs.I used eye hooks in my FIL shop to attach the chains.

If you are going to be using the pull chain to turn on and off then make sure you mount in a stud. If not then the drywall anchors would work just fine I would think.

I would look for studs with a stud finder. If there are removable covers remove them and secure the cases with washers and screws or pan head screws. I'm sure you garage door vibration will cause the fixtures to move a slight bit.

I agree with the stud finder and finding the layout of the rafters. Once you get a good feel on how everything is laid out you can wire them up. Is there an attic? If not you can use metal clad cables running along the ceiling to keep it legal.

I dunno if you can get the housings apart- probably not, but I've flush-mounted some shop light fixtures in the past depending on the ceiling height and application. Just used screws and fender washers.

Like said, these 4ft LED fixtures tend to be so light weight, I wouldn't sweat not being able to find studs and use the winged toggle bolts like pic'd above if need be.

You're going to love those LED lights.

Back