Ceramic wax

I see no problem coating over the Ultimate wax, did my Regal with Griots ceramic and it came out beautiful.

IMG_0045.JPG

Please, just pick up some Griots 3 in 1 ceramic wax, as it has carnauba wax in it along with real ceramic. I'm absolutely amazed at how good this stuff is on a well cleaned surface. It's stupidly fast and easy and I promise it produces the best finish I've ever seen, while also lasting! I am of the opinion that 3 in 1 Griots works/lasts every bit as well as the other ceramics I've used, while additionally providing a super slick surface.

The new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating is pretty impressive. It leaves a shine and slickness that it outstanding for an over the counter product. Durability is also very good and it was designed do it yourselfers so it's pretty user friendly. Another option is to use Meguiar's Ceramic Detail Spray. I like it more than their blue Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax.

Ceramic won't bond properly to wax. Cook an egg in a pan with butter and a pan without, see which one the egg sticks to. In this case the the ceramic is the egg and you want it to stick to the pan which is your car.

I have been doing a lot of research on cermamics since they were introduced and most people who have used them are saying they last anywhere from 3 to 6 months. The whole premise of ceramics was that they last longer. I'm not seeing where they are. Other than being easier and taking less time to apply, I see no benefit using them instead of traditional waxes/sealants. I get 6 months worth of protection using Collinite 845...I think ceramaics are more hype than anything...

I tried Meguiar's version a while back and i truly don't see where i'm getting my $ worth versus TW Seal & Shine, TW ICE Spray Wax or Lucas Speed Mist Spray Wax in terms of shine. Longevity isn't an issue with those products either but i'm sure the ceramix lasts longer. The spray waxes are also easier to apply which is most important to me along with shine.

Originally Posted by Malo83
I see no problem coating over the Ultimate wax, did my Regal with Griots ceramic and it came out beautiful.

That really is a good looking car...

I really like Mothers CMX with TIO2 and SIO2...... I have also used SPRAYWAY SIO2....

Also I like Chemical Guys Hydro Ceramic wax but 39$ a bottle is just a lil to much IMO..

Turtle wax Ceramic was impressive also.....

I have treid them all basically.... There is somthing about the Mothers that stands out and I think its the TIO2 and Ceramic mix...

Look at that picture.. probably 400$ in chemicals and micro fiber towels and on them shelves.... plus more on the shelf in back....

You can see Griots Leather wipes covered up plus all the Armor All bees wax bottles hanging on the shelves....

WAXES.jpg

Last edited:
I agreee first ceramic then the carnuba....... I did my mothers Honda CRV is stacked 10 coats of ceramic wax then did a few coats of carnuba wax and then I even sealed it with Chemical guys X7 or G7 I cant remember the name but its Chemical Guys Hybird sealant and her Honda is unreal the shine and water will NOT stay on the car...

If you look at the picture I only have some of my waxes there many more are in spray form on the shelves in the back.. As you can see I have many I just stood up as many as I could... Also sorry for pic I know the camera sucks..

I have tested darn near all the ceramic waxes . At Least the ones you can buy in a store and not online..... and again Mother CMX .. Somthing about it.......

I really like the chemical guys hydro slick cermaic but 39$ for a bottle is just to much $.... A guy at work game part of his bottle enough to do 4 cars with.. I mean it really spreads easy.. but still I like the Mothers...
In that pic there is probably 400$ in chemicals...

WAXES.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
I have been doing a lot of research on cermamics since they were introduced and most people who have used them are saying they last anywhere from 3 to 6 months. The whole premise of ceramics was that they last longer. I'm not seeing where they are. Other than being easier and taking less time to apply, I see no benefit using them instead of traditional waxes/sealants. I get 6 months worth of protection using Collinite 845...I think ceramaics are more hype than anything...

I would expect this reply from you. Things from Meguiar's, Mothers, etc, particularly ceramic sprays or other other products that say 'Si02 infused' will only last that long. "Real" *coatings* from CarPro, Gyeon, etc. will certainly last 1, 2, or more years if they're taken care of with good wash practices. Coatings will offer superior behavior with sun/heat and self-cleaning properties.

There are 19 products under the Meguiar's Ultimate label. If you're talking about the ultimate wax it is a polymer sealant and contains no wax. If you want the best durability from a ceramic then it should go on bare paint that has been prepped properly. If you just want more bling then put it on top of whatever you want.

Originally Posted by gofast182
Originally Posted by grampi

I would expect this reply from you. Things from Meguiar's, Mothers, etc, particularly ceramic sprays or other other products that say 'Si02 infused' will only last that long. "Real" *coatings* from CarPro, Gyeon, etc. will certainly last 1, 2, or more years if they're taken care of with good wash practices. Coatings will offer superior behavior with sun/heat and self-cleaning properties.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but people aren't posting results from the real ceramics. I agree, the ones you mentioned are superior to regular waxes/sealants, but they require a professional to apply them, and are far more expensive than the off-the-shelf products. If we're comparing apples to apples (off the shelf ceramics compared to off the shelf waxes/sealants), I see little to no benefit in using ceramics...

Back