Washing the TV Remote

Yes ladies and gents, I have reached the age when your mind is starting to go …..as I remove the bed sheets and such to wash, the TV Remote was tangle up in them-- how was I to know and the Remote went thru the wash and rinse and spin. Ok I found the Remote when pulling the sheets our of the washer,,,,mercy sakes was not the words that came to mind then,lol'

So no water was in the remote that I noticed and guess what, the darn thing worked, is that lucky or what..I love old age, the angels must be looking out for me...…..and my remote that still is working.....

That's nothing. I put a $500 proximity key thru a Maytag wash cycle - left in a pocket.

Works flawlessly 3 years later.

My wife put the push button start car keys in the washer dryer cycle every other load, and they survived. It would have been $300 each incident.

I've put an old Samsung slide phone with a cracked screen through the washer and dryer before (while the phone was on.) It actually cleaned out the dust between the glass and the screen pretty well.

People put a variety of electronics through the dishwasher on purpose. The key is that it dries properly.

Boy am I glad I clicked this thread! I was just looking last night and saw that my tv remote was a little dirty! Going in the wash TOMORROW!

Oh wait. Being a BITOG'r, How many sheets were in there with the remote? What kind of detergent were you using, and what are the specs on that? Did you clean the lint filter lately? Were there any additional additives used? Is the remote made in Japan or China?

Slightly different scenario, but I once accidently left my brand-new eyeglasses in a camping tent. Folded up the tent, then realized what I had done as we got in the car to go home. Worried the whole way home (luckily, only an hour away), beating myself up, as these were $400 glasses. Got home, unrolled the tent--not a scratch or bend on them!

Washers today use such little water. But I would keep an eye on that remote control in the next week or two. I have a sneaky suspicion that every time you press: Pause, Back, Channel Down and Mute, soap bubbles from the Tide Detergent will be dispensed to your fingertips.

In this day and age, maybe just put the remote in a watertight ziplock baggie to keep it clean and safe.

On some remotes I seldom use, I just keep them in the original plastic bag they came in, during the rare events when I use them, but those aren't watertight and have no chance of winding up in water unless a tornado rips the roof off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
That's nothing. I put a $500 proximity key thru a Maytag wash cycle - left in a pocket.

Works flawlessly 3 years later.

I can relate. Not only have I washed swipe cards on occasion but I threw one away by accident and I dropped another one through a sewer grate. The latter one got away.

I only have one key for my Challenger...it came with two, but the second did not work and was full of corrosion. My best guess: laundry.

I bet it will die of corrosion in it but keep using it until it does not work any longer. Good luck with it.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Oh wait. Being a BITOG'r, How many sheets were in there with the remote? What kind of detergent were you using, and what are the specs on that? Did you clean the lint filter lately? Were there any additional additives used? Is the remote made in Japan or China?

Funny and so true

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I only have one key for my Challenger...it came with two, but the second did not work and was full of corrosion. My best guess: laundry.

A good contact cleaner like DeOxit is worth trying. Brought back many items for me.

Back