Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we have to change the oil at one year regardless of mileage. I use Mobil 1 and drive 5K a year. How long can I wait before changing? Thanks, guys

A Volt owners manual says two years. What does yours say?

I take that to mean that oil will last for at least two years under mild operating conditions. ( The Volt motor is controlled by computer only)

Originally Posted by JohnG
A Volt owners manual says two years. What does yours say?

I take that to mean that oil will last for at least two years under mild operating conditions. ( The Volt motor is controlled by computer only)

and to extrapolate on that, the Ford hybrids have 2 different recommendations:
Energi(Plug in hybrid) models call for 2 year/20k Mi, but Check the condition of the oil filter after one year, replace if rusty...
The Hybrid (no plug) Models call for 1 yr/ 10k mi. both Full Syn.
the Energi models have twice the battery, and can go 20 mi on just electricity.

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
I know we have to change the oil at one year regardless of mileage. I use Mobil 1 and drive 5K a year. How long can I wait before changing? Thanks, guys

I know I have to click the "Post Reply" button to post this. I use a logitech mouse and left click 42K a year. What button do I have to click to post this?
spankme2.gif
lol.gif

Last edited:
Short answer, it depends.

To get the correct answer we need to know:
What vehicle?
What engine?
What location?
What driving style?
Highway only?
Around town only?
Short trips only?
Long trips only?
Combination of all trip types?
What oil viscosity?
Which Mobil 1?
Are you still in warranty?
Are you worried about warranty?
How long do you plan to keep the vehicle?
How long have you had the vehicle?
What is the current mileage?
What is the past maintenance like?

You can go multiples of 1 year depending on your vehicle usage and type of oil. Most around here will change at least every year since most will have high enough mileage or short trip vehicles.

You'll never get a car mfg to state you can go beyond 1 yr because it applies to so few vehicles. They are worried about the 95% of car owners....not to mention profits by frequent oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rrretiree7

It's up to you. I only drive about 4500 miles a year but it's all short trips. I change every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back