Animals and cancer

A member posted a sad thread on his dog dying of advanced cancer. I commented that it is strange how pets are contracting cancer. I don't recall that being common 30 or more years ago and suggested it was not an issue 100 years back. Got some push back on that comment. Does anyone really believe this soup of pesticides, herbicides, and petrochemical products we live in has NOT affected the cancer rates in animals?

Last edited:
A dog's nose is always on the ground and with all the pesticides/herbicides being sprayed it is more susceptible to inhale these poisons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
A member posted a sad thread on his dog dying of advanced cancer. I commented that it is strange how pets are contracting cancer. I don't recall that being common 30 or more years ago and suggested it was not an issue 100 years back. Got some push back on that comment. Does anyone really believe this soup of pesticides, herbicides, and petrochemical products we live in has NOT affected the cancer rates in animals?

30-40 years ago, far fewer people took care of their pets like to day. So yes they died of cancer, you just did not know why. Very few people had x-rays done on pets like today.

Pets die now, and you know why. More dogs live inside than when i was a kid, so less snakebites etc. 100 years ago there was no heartworm treatment so lots of dogs probably died from that before they lived long enough to die from cancer.

Pesticides today are safer than when i was a kid. DDT was in use as well as Chlorodane , and Diazinon. Corn and other seeds were coated with a pink Lead Arsenic compound.

Gas had mmt.

So the pesticides today are nothing like what as in use 30-40 years go.

Last edited:
I worked as a EMT-Paramedic in Galveston County and the areas near the refineries were hot spots for cancers. UTMB was doing a study on this but abruptly abandoned the research after having their financial support threatened. This I heard from an Oncologist at the hospital.

Originally Posted by Pelican

A dog's nose is always on the ground and with all the pesticides/herbicides being sprayed it is more susceptible to inhale these poisons.

Exactly, and they're picking everything up with their mouth. Cancer as far as I can remember, was/is the #1 killer of dogs, and I go back a pretty long way.

It was my dog that got cancer. He was about 8 yrs old. I also have a cat that is 27 this month. He is doing great for his age. Still jumps,runs like a cat. Born 1993. Go figure.

IMG_20200126_114937.jpg

One of my dogs has a tumor that is growing, can't afford a vet now but will take him if/when that $1200 bailout check hits the bank. He is about 10 years old.

IMG_20200406_134301.jpg

I don't think you can pin it on any one thing.

My WAG, 100 years ago pets were fed differently and not very common. In addition there were a lot of diseases and events which would kill a pet before it became old enough to die of cancer.

I also believe pesticide use was more prevalent 30, 40, 50 years ago. Of course overly selective breeding might be an issue as well.

Last edited:
An old town country vet told me that the reason for more pet cancers these days is that they are bombarded by their caring owners with all sort of inoculations and drugs to preemptively "Protect" them that ravage their systems. When the City Slickers started to escape the inner city monstrosities they helped spawn. They moved to the simple towns and brought their over medicated cellular damaged pets with them. and guess what ...lots of cancers. Add on the other environmental chemicals to make the yard look nice and its no surprise. The city vet i have now seems to be more a financial enterprise with main concern if generating revenue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnG
Don't forget, Dog food is made in China too!

This! When my dog started having strange allergic reaction to his kibble about three years ago I started making his food all those issues went away. Google Dog food recalls. Yes in recent years all that great for you dog kibbles have killed a lot of dogs.

Last edited:
In the old days, dry dog food had maximum 10 ingredients. Now they typically have 30+ and many of those are chemicals.
The back yard getting lawn care products 5-7 times per year creates problems for dogs, as does all the various shots & pills the vet recommends every year.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
An old town country vet told me that the reason for more pet cancers these days is that they are bombarded by their caring owners with all sort of inoculations and drugs to preemptively "Protect" them that ravage their systems. When the City Slickers started to escape the inner city monstrosities they helped spawn. They moved to the simple towns and brought their over medicated cellular damaged pets with them. and guess what ...lots of cancers. Add on the other environmental chemicals to make the yard look nice and its no surprise.

Ya well here's the thing. It wasn't until the Mid-2000's that people began to question the high frequency of vaccinations. Pet food itself was of mediocre quality going back decades.

Back