Any Mint Mobile Users?

Any Mint Mobile users? How would you rate your experience with them?

I am currently on Visible Mobile with an iPhone XS and my wife has an iPhone XR, both unlocked from factory from Apple, for $25 a line. Before Verizon was king in my area, so that's who I've always had, but I've been hearing from a lot of people that Metro PCS (runs of T-Mobile) has great service and they have no problems. I was thinking about trying out Mint's (also runs off T-Mobile) starter sim for the week and see what I would get with their service.

But with the $15 a month for 3GB or $20 a month for the 8GB, I could save $120 or $60 respectively per line a year.

Just looking for extra ways to help save a little cash but still get what we need.

My wife is on RedPocket for $17/mo (I paid for a full year up front). Unlimited talk/text and 5GB data on Verizon towers. You can't get much better than that.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
My wife is on RedPocket for $17/mo (I paid for a full year up front). Unlimited talk/text and 5GB data on Verizon towers. You can't get much better than that.

Does mobile hotspot work on Red Pocket Red? I don't think it did when I used to be with them. I forgot to mention, I need the hotspot feature. One reason I like Visible and also was looking into Mint

Originally Posted by radtech91
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Does mobile hotspot work on Red Pocket Red? I don't think it did when I used to be with them. I forgot to mention, I need the hotspot feature. One reason I like Visible and also was looking into Mint

I'm not sure it's documented but I used her hotspot at least 3 times without issue in the first few months so yeah.

I've been on Red Pocket for a year/annual plan. At the time it was just 2GB of LTE data. With that limitation, there was some pia ... they would fail to switch over to slow data after 2gb/month and I'd have to chat them to fix it. I had failures in voicemail too that were inexplicable but fixed over chat. About to renew with the 5gb of data... so shouldn't have the data running out problem with them. If you can wait for an ebay bucks 8 or 10% promotion, even cheaper. I did.

just depends on if you have good t-mob service.

other discount options out there for all 4 carriers.

Currrently on google fi because I had a massive $1220 service credit..
will be moving on in another 4 months when its all used up(took 18 months total)

also depends on how many lines.. some are better for 1-2 others better for 3+

Check into Data speed/throttling, if MMS photos will work, roaming, and Canada/mex coverage if needed.
for true comparison.

I liked cricket because I could just upgrade my plan for a week(about $3) if I was visiting Niagara falls or Canada.

your phone can run a dual sim . i would get a mint mobile card and get a number and then see how it stacks against visible. i am doing it now with my oneplus phone , but t mobile against red pocket ATT. i only went to Tmobile because i am getting a sweet deal of $20 a month for unlimited data riding on a relatives account .

i had red pocket before i switched to tmobile and never had an issue with it. i used it on android , but if using RP GMSA iphone can not send mms to androids.

t mobiles system has really improved. i tried it about 5 years ago and even though i live about 1 mile from the main office the reception was bad. now its better, but not as good as the ATT. but a mint sim and try it out before you buy . tM seems to work fine in most major metro areas and along major freeways. Go outside of them and the service is spotty where ATT was excellent .

when it comes to hot spotting it depends on the phone also. my last couple of android phone the hot spot was not locked and i could just use my regular data. i think iphone are locked unless the carrier unlocks it.

one great thing i liked about iphone is they had the frequency bands for all the major carrier already installed on the phone. So ATT/TM/VER all work on the same phone

Last edited:
Had Mint Mobile for my son's iPhone. Their service runs off T-Mobile, and in my experience, coverage was good and speeds were consistent.

Tmobile tends to have faster data speeds in urban areas, but slower coverage in fringe areas. Part of that has to do with antenna placement and power. At our house AT&T runs at around 10-20 Mb/s download, and Tmobile 40-60. But in the next town I have decent AT&T service and Tmo drops calls in a few areas. Part of the issues is that my Xr does not have as good a modem as some older and newer models.

Tmobile also has a $15 2GB plan and a $20 5Gb plan, so that might be an option too. You will get better speeds than with an MVNO like mint.

I am a big Mint Mobile fan. I love supporting the small innovators.... especially in cell service providers.

Like you I researched cell carriers over a year ago and found Mint Mobile. I had a Verizon family plan and was looking at ways to save a few dollars. We also tried Mint Mobile out for a 3 month period and the signed up to their yearly plans. We are very happy. In Richmond, Va., T-Mobile has good coverage

My wife (3 gb $15/mo), adult son (8 gb $20/mo) and I (8 gb $20/mo) all switched over to Mint Mobile early last year.
We are all very pleased with their service, love the significant savings we realized and are happy with their customer service and technical support teams.

My son and wife have Apple i-phones and I have a Motorola G5 android. We utilize Mint's WIFI calling which works great .
We all just renewed for another full year as their service works great for us and you can't beat their price for the quality of service.

I strongly suggest you utilize their WIFI calling option as it greatly reduces your gb bandwidth usage and allowed me to move from 8 gb per month plan to their 3 gb per month plan as I renewed recently.

Hope my experience with Mint Mobile helps you in your decision process.

Redpocket has been good to us.
We use their family plan and our actual payment (I wish everyone would post actual payment like I do)

We have 3 lines, unlimited text, talk and data, 5Gb of high speed on each line (15gb total)
Family plan, auto monthly payment, we chose the ATT network.
ACTUAL MONTHLY PAYMENT is $70.18

You can not beat that price. As another has posted in here, you can even get it cheaper if you purchase by the year. The downside? None really, but if I had to complain, once in a great while I NEED TO RESTART MY PHONE to get my data connection working again, weird. Once in a great while, wife will have an issue sending a text. Now, with that said, I can not say if that is a recent ATT network mess up or a red pocket.
Bottom line is it always works and it not all that often.

With that said the process of switching is not as silly smooth compared to other companies.
So if you think you will need hand holding or nervous about technology you might be better off with Mint mobile, Cricket, Consumer Cellular, and Verizons more expensive Visible.

Im a little jaded at TMobile from decades ago, Im sure their network is better now, but the mint deal is sort of nice. I really am a fan of ATT and been using them on Redpocket and Cricket years before Redpocket.

For me, price wins and I can switch at anytime being I never sign a contract. :eek:)

Last edited:
You are considering leaving Verizon towers and moving to another providers. In my locale New england that would be a terrible idea but imagine it varies by region. Verizon rules the land here by a long shot.

Watch the signal for any of those. We have VZ and ATT, and for an unknown reasons, VZ signal at my place is much worse now. Looks like they reallocating resources towards better utilization now.

Redtech91, I use Red Pocket on AT&T (GSMA). Mobile hotspot works without an extra charge (unlike AT&T's own service that charges $10/mo extra).
Alarmguy, My wife is still directly on AT&T and I used to be on them (and still am, through Red Pocket). I can confirm that AT&T does have a problem with text messages from time to time, so it is an AT&T problem, not a Red Pocket problem.

Originally Posted by Y_K
Watch the signal for any of those. We have VZ and ATT, and for an unknown reasons, VZ signal at my place is much worse now. Looks like they reallocating resources towards better utilization now.
This might be due to the fact that AT&T now has the Federal Government cell phone provider contract that Verizon used to have.

I've been with mint for about 2 years and I have nothing bad to say about their service or coverage.I think its all about where you live. Some providers work better in some areas than others.

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by Y_K
This might be due to the fact that AT&T now has the Federal Government cell phone provider contract that Verizon used to have.

Thank you - didn't know that. just noticed that ATT has more Gov alerts now. And I don't have to pay $10 for hotspotting on my prepaid ATT as somebody mentioned above. All majors increased our data allocation due to the Kung Flu. I thing, ATT has added 10GB, and VZW added 15GB at no charge. Bot are regular prepaid. I use them as an alternative ISP on a rare occasion. I played with MVNOs in past, but got fed up with the Indian/Mexican customer service rather quickly.

I was just about to try visible its 40.00 unlimited everything even hotspot which nobody else does if that's true.The hotspot is held to 5mbps right now first month is 25 and they will give you a 100.00 gift card after two months.Worse case scenario is your out 5.00 after 90 days.This sounds like a [censored] of a deal to me.I can use the hotspot for my laptop or stream TV.I bought a iPhone 6s plus for 50.00 and AT&T unlocked it for free.What do you think about visible and this idea it looks good on paper anyway lol.

Originally Posted by cknight49090
Anyone have any experience with visible? Or thoughts on this deal?

That's who I'm with now. I've been with them since August last year. I've decided to just stay with them for now. I really like them, no problems at all. I was just trying to see if I could get a better deal, I know I'm just being cheap. But for $25 a month unlimited everything it is a very good deal. Especially on Verizon. It is worth noting though that it only runs on Verizon LTE, not their 1X or 3G service.

Back