New Ram... thoughts by owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tcp71
Those air systems are magnificent when the truck is new. An expensive nightmare as they age and parts need replacing.

During pre-pandemic times, that wasn't an issue.
Most leasing vehicles were only interested in performance during the lease term.

After that period, who cares?
Even the infotainment system becomes outdated and the software probably won't be supported long after the warranty period.

Kinda late to this party, but I've been driving (modern) Rams since 2015--the first was a 3.6L V6 Quad Cab 4WD--excellent truck that I'd still have, except for the killer deal I was offered to trade that up to my present 2017 Ram 5.7L Crew Cab 4WD. Before buying Ram, I test drove the Ford F150, which was a nice truck, but the Ram was the clear winner in the comfort, and fit / finish categories. Also, the Ram dealer had much better pricing on comparably equipped trucks. Both of my Rams have had a few recalls each, none of which were a big deal and were completed quickly. Now retired, I don't put a lot of miles on, so I can't directly comment on longevity. I'd buy another Ram when it's time to trade.

2017 Ram pic.jpg

Last edited:
the one thing I hate on mine is the cheap plastic fuel door and how it operates. wish they stuck with the 4th gen style..

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Even the infotainment system becomes outdated and the software probably won't be supported long after the warranty period.

They stop releasing somewhat regular UConnect updates after a few years, but typically the bugs are all sorted out by the time they setting on a release. We have a couple 2014/2015 vintage trucks at the office now with UConnect that is updated to the most current version and works fine with all modern phones.

I love my 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Limited (Hemi) and the new model raises the bar even more. I only have 70k on mine but I plan to get another Limited or maybe a Longhorn in about 2 years. Probably go 2500 Diesel this time for RV use. A friend of mine has a 2020 Lonestar and loves it...that's a mid level and still looks better than the competition inside.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hemitruck
Originally Posted by glock19
Mine came with the Goodyear wranglers, a terrible tire that only lasted 25000 miles or so. Dangerous in the rain, barely acceptable on dry roads and surprisingly capable in snow and ice.

Which Goodyear Wranglers? In my experience, Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires which were just as you described. However, Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (wow that's a mouthful) are much better tires.

Sorry, wrangler SRA.

Slide Round Anywhere

Last edited:
Hated tire company makes these dirt cheap so a beloved car company can put them on your $50k pickup.

I've found the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SRAs to be pretty decent on my 2017 Ram 1500. I wonder if it's because mine are in 17" flavor vs, the 20"s.

I bought a set of OEM steelie take-offs off a 2015 Tradesman with these tires on which were nearly new that I use as my winter wheels. These are decent in winter conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
I've found the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SRAs to be pretty decent on my 2017 Ram 1500. I wonder if it's because mine are in 17" flavor vs, the 20"s.

I bought a set of OEM steelie take-offs off a 2015 Tradesman with these tires on which were nearly new that I use as my winter wheels. These are decent in winter conditions.

We have them on my wife's truck and they are awful in the wet, but she has the big sport rims.

Originally Posted by JTK

Doubtful that wheel size affects the traction.

Doubtful that wheel size affects the traction.

Agreed, although my thoughts are the softer, spongier profile of the 17s makes them better in winter conditions.

2014 RAM here, Hemi/8speed, about 90k miles on her now.

No work, just tires and a some pads at 80k. I really like the truck for what we do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back