Skyactiv 2.5L - Oil Capacity

In the 2.5 in our 2017 I usually just fill the (Mazda dealer) filter from whatever leftover partial bottles I have laying around, then open and add the full 5 qt jug into the engine. Puts it right at or above the max mark.

Here is 14 hours later.

[Linked Image]

I recently did an oil and filter change on my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. The oil had plenty of time to drain completely. I added the contents of a 5 quart jug and drove about 10 miles. I checked the oil cold the next morning. The oil level was halfway between the low and high marks. I added exactly another half quart, drove the car a few miles and checked it again cold, later that day. It was then right at the top mark on the dipstick.

No way would I drive for thousands of miles between changes with the oil level at the halfway mark which of course does not mean that the sump is halfway full, but that it is about a half quart below max. Mazda's published specification of 4.8 quarts is wrong and off by a good 20-22 ounces.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I recently did an oil and filter change on my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. The oil had plenty of time to drain completely. I added the contents of a 5 quart jug and drove about 10 miles. I checked the oil cold the next morning. The oil level was halfway between the low and high marks. I added exactly another half quart, drove the car a few miles and checked it again cold, later that day. It was then right at the top mark on the dipstick.

No way would I drive for thousands of miles between changes with the oil level at the halfway mark which of course does not mean that the sump is halfway full, but that it is about a half quart below max. Mazda's published specification of 4.8 quarts is wrong and off by a good 20-22 ounces.

It's interesting. Notice at the top on your manual it says "Approximate Quantities". Dwight, if you get a chance, check the oil per the manual method: Drive and get the engine really warm. Shut it down and wait 5-10 minutes then check the oil level. I suspect 5.5qts is above the top hole this way if you're hitting the top hole when cold.

I agree with you, they are off per the manual.

*The reason I took the photo of the quart at the very top is because I found it takes 1 5qt jug plus that much of one quart to hit the top hole exactly when hot. As you can see, after 14 hours it is still below the top hole. I also prefer the level at the very top.

My SkyActive 2.5-L is the same way: If I want it right on the full mark I have to put in between 5 1/4 and 5 1/2 quarts. The level drops slightly after sitting and cooling overnight.

I ran some errands this morning and checked the oil about an hour later while it was still warm, but not hot. The oil is right at the top mark on the dipstick. Basically the same spot as checking it cold after sitting overnight.

Thanks. I suspect it would be above the top hole if you checked it between 5-10 minutes after shutdown. Close enough though.

Back