Air Compressor Line Dryer

I recently purchased an air compressor and noticed that the air coming out of it is somewhat moist.

I am using a 25' air hose that connects directly to the compressor. What are my options for drying the air that comes out of it?

It is a 25-gal oiled compressor. I will be using the air for tires and impact wrenches.

Thanks.

Well if you have the money then a refrigerated air dryer is the best. Otherwise an inline filter or dryer should handle it. If you use oil then you will be fine without any dryer.

Originally Posted by Donald
Well if you have the money then a refrigerated air dryer is the best. Otherwise an inline filter or dryer should handle it. If you use oil then you will be fine without any dryer.

I do oil my guns, but moist air being used for tire inflation is definitely a downside.

I don't have the space for a refrigerated air dryer.

Is it worth buying this type of unit?
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200392582_200392582

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about drying the air if just using to inflate tires and pneumatic tools.

A cheap inline desiccant dryer may be a good option for you if you want to go that route. HF has one for $7, but I've never used it so I can't comment on how well it works.

Good luck!

The old school solution for an air filter drier is to take a 6 inch piece of 1" black pipe and a couple of 1" to 1/2" bell reducers. Then you put a couple of ladies tampons in it. We used to make the new guy go buy them. they absorb any liquid and are very inexpensive. Replace often. Do not let sit with wet ones in it, the pipe will rust.

Rod

Last edited:
Ive seen units that have dessicant in them. Id think that might be more effective than something that just lets it drop out. But as a sporadic user, id probably put it inline via fittings, and put dual ball valves on it to keep it closed out when not in use - so moisture doesnt diffuse in.

Tip +1 do not connect hose directly to tank for end use
Get filter and regulator as far from tank as possible.

The longer the run, the cooler, and dryer the air. Before I bought a refrigerated air dryer that drops it to like 38 degrees, I used a 25 foot coil of 1/2in copper tubing with a fan blowing across it. Most of my air lines are copper to shed heat. Also, HUGE hint is to always drain the compressor before you fire it up. Otherwise the compressed air will heat up the water in the bottom, and vaporize it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by Donald

I do oil my guns, but moist air being used for tire inflation is definitely a downside.

I don't have the space for a refrigerated air dryer.

Is it worth buying this type of unit?
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200392582_200392582

The farther from the compressor you mount the separator the better.
Originally Posted by Traction
The longer the run, the cooler, and dryer the air. Before I bought a refrigerated air dryer that drops it to like 38 degrees, I used a 25 foot coil of 1/2in copper tubing with a fan blowing across it. Most of my air lines are copper to shed heat. Also, HUGE hint is to always drain the compressor before you fire it up. Otherwise the compressed air will heat up the water in the bottom, and vaporize it.
This post nails it.

[Linked Image]

You need to put one of these bad boys between the compressor and storage tank. Mount behind compressor fan/pulley so air is drawn across it. Then add a large filter with a drain at a low point before going to the storage tank. This will remove 90% of the moisture before the air even reaches the storage tank. A little spendy, but you will spend time and money on anything to be effective.

Originally Posted by Tman220
[Linked Image]

You need to put one of these bad boys between the compressor and storage tank. Mount behind compressor fan/pulley so air is drawn across it. Then add a large filter with a drain at a low point before going to the storage tank. This will remove 90% of the moisture before the air even reaches the storage tank. A little spendy, but you will spend time and money on anything to be effective.

Originally Posted by P10crew
[Linked Image]

You can also make one for the price of the copper.

Thanks guys, these would be perfect.

Do you have a link to a commercially available one?

Many years ago I was painting a car for myself on a very hot humid day. Even with a separator I was getting droplets. I filled a five gallon pail with ice water and stacked stuff up so the water was surrounding the dryer. After that, no more droplets in my paint.

Back