Dewalt DXCM251 25-Gal Oiled Air Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally purchased an air compressor for my home garage. The goal was to have a durable compressor for auto repair work. I only intend to run impact wrenches, a vacuum coolant filler and air inflation tools with this compressor.

The noise level is surprisingly reasonable - my next door neighbor says it is extremely quiet as long as I have my garage door closed. And keep in mind that I live in a tract home development within an extremely quiet neighborhood.

From a power standpoint, it seems to work fine on a 15A circuit but I have it plugged into a 20A.

CFM is quite good for a unit of its size - 6.2 at 90 psi. It takes just under 8 min to fill from 0 to 190 psi (max is 200 psi). So far, I have used a 1/2" impact and the vacuum filler without any issues. For example, I was able to remove and install 35 Subaru lug nuts using an Astro 1822 impact (regulated to 150 psi) before the compressor had to kick on.

The price was a bit steep though. I paid $569 thru Home Depot. For not much more money, you can buy a 60 gal compressor if you have the space and power setup that allows for it. But for my needs, I hope this will serve me well for a long time.

4D9A5AC6-FE47-4FD7-95C0-E28A76AB27C2.jpeg

46DA8818-8E01-4538-9319-AC362752EEC1.jpeg

BCA44C20-847B-4B90-A4BE-9B325EA67B40.jpeg

9FCE4D8D-065D-4488-B048-AF6008546C14.jpeg

545DB0FB-E846-42FB-AAF9-92E4E7C0C4CC.jpeg

I do not think the price was steep as you got a 2 stage compressor. Are you sure your air tools want to run at 150 PSI? Seems high.

Did you consider getting cordless impact and a much smaller compressor for your other needs.

I have a small cordless inflator with auto shutoff at a given PSI that is very handy for filing tires.

I have a home compressor, specs not as robust as yours. Used to do the biannual wheel swaps with it for the 5 cars. Went back to doing it manually with the trusty star wrench .
Got more enjoyment out of the job - if that makes sense.
As well, the initial threading and final torquing is manual anyway, wasn't saving much time on that part of the job.

That is a great compressor. Should easily last your lifetime and maybe your son if you have one. Belt drive compressor are easily the best for long life and quietness. Ed

My friend has one and it seems to work good and being 110 volts you can get two and have 12 cfm.

Originally Posted by Donald
I do not think the price was steep as you got a 2 stage compressor. Are you sure your air tools want to run at 150 PSI? Seems high.

Did you consider getting cordless impact and a much smaller compressor for your other needs.

I have a small cordless inflator with auto shutoff at a given PSI that is very handy for filing tires.
The service vans at work ran gasoline motor compressers huge single cylinders we cranked them up to as high as they would go,over 175 psi and the only impacts that would hold up at the time were the Ingersol 231 I had the anvil break several times on the comparable Snap on unit. Why the PSI? when out on the job we wanted all the power and speed possible.Breaking tools ,we carried extras. More power !!!

That is a great compressor.. best you can get for 120 and fairly portable too.

It is a single stage compressor, it appears both cylinders are the same size and there is no intercooler.

If it were a 2 stage, one of the cylinders would be much smaller bore.

It is 2 cylinder belt driven which is good. You do need a pressure regulator to keep the air tool at 90 PSI. You go much over that and they break.

Rod

I already have the Milwaukee M18 impacts and their M12 inflator. 150 is on the high side, but is about what most shops run.

Tank pressure and outlet pressure are not the same thing. Therefore, 2 gauges.

You can regulate the outlet pressure down from the tank pressure to suit the tool.
grin.gif

High psi is a misleading, over rated spec.

CFM, fill time, and tank size are more important.

Just noticed the box says "2 stage performance". Now that is misleading because as noted, it is NOT 2 stage.
15.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165

You can regulate the outlet pressure down from the tank pressure to suit the tool.
grin.gif

Just noticed the box says "2 stage performance". Now that is misleading because as noted, it is NOT 2 stage.
15.gif

And CFM/fill time are, within a fraction of 1CFM and proportional fill metrics, the same when constrained by a 15-20A 120V circuit.

A big tank might be useful, but is excessive in some cases, especially if once it is depleted, it takes forever to fill again.

Agree its not two stage, but IMO its fairly impressive that its putting out that high of psi and that many cfm from a 120V design.

150PSI at the regulator, through standard fittings and a decent length hose, while running an air impact, will come down to roughly the ideal 90PSI at the tool.

I think the OP made a wise choice for his needs. A cheaper 60 gallon would not be as portable but would have a little longer run times, a tossup, really. I have a cheaper 60gallon high flow and love it, but it is big, heavy, and needs to live by the 220V outlet, so my garage redecorating options are nil.

grin.gif

15.gif

What compressor/s you runnin'??

Originally Posted by clinebarger

grin.gif

15.gif

What compressor/s you runnin'??

A Sears 919.156880 bought in 1980. Made by Devillbis when they and Sears were great firms. 3 HONEST hp, 220 volts, 14.2 amps, 30gallon, 8.2 cfm at 90 psi, 9.7 at 40 psi. Never a problem, don't use as much since cordless took over. Think about upgrading to an upright but can't justify it now. Bought my son a small, QUIET California air tool oil less compressor. He is a HS science teacher and uses it IN THE CLASSROOM with no complaints.

Edit: Fill time on mine is 90 seconds from empty - max 125 psi.

Been using M1 10W-30 in it for the past 30 years or so.

Hot Tip: Use the Milton "V" style high flow connectors - much better air flow

Last edited:
Critic,

Good choice of Air compressor.

+1 on the Milton "V" style high flow connectors. You should also add a ball valve for the compressor water drain.

grin.gif

15.gif

Absolutely agree psi is so over rated and people keep looking at it as the be all spec. I will take my shop compressor at a max PSI of 125 over anything ohhh yea it puts out 400cfm at 125.

That is a nice unit, I wish mine would go to 200 psi. I have a very old Craftsman 4 hp unit that pulls 18A at 240v, rated at 12.8 cfm @40 and 8.3@90 but it only goes to 125 psi and when I run the air hammer or needle scaler the compressor runs almost constantly because I have to have the reg set at 125 to get 90 at the end of the hose so as soon as I pull the trigger the pressure starts to drop until I hit the switch and it cycles back up and shuts off. With a higher pressure I could maintain my 125 reg setting.

Originally Posted by samven
That is a nice unit, I wish mine would go to 200 psi. I have a very old Craftsman 4 hp unit that pulls 18A at 240v, rated at 12.8 cfm @40 and 8.3@90 but it only goes to 125 psi and when I run the air hammer or needle scaler the compressor runs almost constantly because I have to have the reg set at 125 to get 90 at the end of the hose so as soon as I pull the trigger the pressure starts to drop until I hit the switch and it cycles back up and shuts off. With a higher pressure I could maintain my 125 reg setting.

Again the problem is CFM and the pump not PSI!! Something people just don't understand or get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back