Roller lubrication on door hinges

I had a look at my driver's side door hinge of my 2008 Suburban and compared its function to the other three doors.I noticed the steel roller mounted on the vertical pin was not rotating on the driver's door. Instead, the pin itself was doing the rotating as the door was opened and closed. I imagine this would eventually cause problems.
It took several carefully aimed shots with GM's Super Lube with Teflon to clean out the black gunk between the roller and pin. I use that lube and also white lithium grease but I probably didn't aim it well enough to enter the gap at the top of the roller. Cold weather just makes it worse. Check your rollers!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Im not sure lithium is great in there long term. I think that's why GM sells that super lube. That, or an oil perhaps, would be better as it wont gunk up, collect a ton of dust, and dry out.

Im actually thinking an 00 type grease is likely best to be in there...

Maybe try Boeshield. If it works for bicycle chains, it should work on doors.

I eventually switched to it, as I ran out of Wurth HHS-K, and it is hard to find and quite pricey.

Yeah once you let the grease dry out, the damage gets done and you're left trying to merely stop it from getting worse. That and those vehicles that use nylon bushings that just wear no matter what because plastic.

Originally Posted by Bebop367
Fluid Flim is the best I tried. Gets in there and stays a long time.

I agree. I have old cars in the salt belt and the lock mechanisms look brand new. Every 6 months they get doused in it.

I've used WD-40 to clean and then drop or two of engine oil and it works pretty good. iirc, had a silicon? spray in the garage somewhere and that works good also ... but last time I couldn't find it and went the WD-40 route.
WD-40 solves half the world's problems
grin2.gif

That's pretty much how I use WD40 … kinda like a pre flush that's compatible with a bit of thin oil behind it.
I still use 3 in 1 on hinges … don't always want a big spray can and they have some clever tips these days.

Flush it out and spray it with Boeshield T9 or Fluid Film, I've limped those rollers along for years doing this. Never did understand why Chevy stuck with that setup and used the internal ones on the GMC line until relatively recently, the GMC ones just work and stay quiet.

Back