pay cut at work

I'm in aircraft maintenance at a heavy maintenance/overhaul station for the 3rd-largest aircraft OEM.

With the plunge in demand for air travel, airlines have cut flights by as much as 75% at last count. As a result, they can no longer pay to have their aircraft maintained, so they parked them.

Everyone except a skeleton crew to do necessary maintenance on aircraft that are in storage, were furloughed last week, for at least a month, but word is that it could be longer.

In the mean time, I got a job delivering for Amazon Prime (Yep, one of those dark blue Mercedes Prime vans you see in your neighborhood). Keeps me off the couch.

Things are grim in the airline/commercial aviation business. We need, badly, for air travel to be able to resume. Unfortunately, it's not looking like that's going to happen for maybe months - at least, not like it was, before.

Best of luck to everyone during this time.

We will bounce back!!

My brother's co-worker hung himself last night.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
frown.gif

Many reasons outside of today's crisis, could have been responsible for that.

yes this is the beginning to a very ugly situation. i see you are from nassau county i grew up in franklin square. i work for the worst city school district probably in all of new york state and extremely underpaid for 2020. but anyway thats life i'll keep positive while i still have full paychecks and benefits.

I've been interviewing for several jobs over the past two months, at what is considered an 'essential' business. One of the interview processes moved to virtual and even progressed through the final stage. Hoping to be hired next week, once they figure out the virtual hiring process. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My wife works in health care and has moved all of her patients to video visits. She's waiting to see if she gets redeployed to a field hospital.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
frown.gif

He got laid off a couple months after buying a house.

frown.gif

So have a million others in the past year.
Did he suffer from M.D-confirmed Depression? Hanging is the #1 Suicide M.O. for those that are afflicted with it....ie.... Chris Cornell, Robin Williams.......etc.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by nickaluch
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
NYS employee here.. 40 hour work week with full benefits

You're not out of the woods yet. Expect big budget cuts

For governments at all levels, revenues are declining rapidly as tax takes from all sources dry up.
From income and payroll taxes to sales taxes to fuel taxes all are in free-fall.
State and local budgets are going to be strained for at least the rest of this calendar year.
Tough times ahead for governments and those who work for them.
The layoffs have already begun for some such workers.

Taxes are very important.

There will be major county / city layoffs in the near future. School districts will cut jobs, so will other non Police / Fire first responder type jobs.

This mess will last for more than a year.

And what will happen when homeowners stop paying the property taxes ?
Landlords not paying property taxes because all their renters stopped paying and courts refuse to evict them ?
Small business owners will also want a relief check and not pay any rent or taxes ?

Major snowball effect very soon.

I got my hours cut by 50 percent back in 2010. I had to learn to do with less. Luckily the house was paid for and no car payments.

Unfortunately, this mess is going to last for many years before things get back to normal.

Last edited:
It will take a year for things to start improving but it will eventually improve.

Are union employees using their bumping rights to still stay employed ?
Some industries like aviation are unionized and their seniority helps them in stormy waters.

frown.gif

I'm sorry to hear this.
This is what concerns me most about this situation. The ripples through the economy expressed as crime, suicide, etc.

I'm salary company is mandating vacation days be taken.

Is that legal?

Yes, it is done all the time in at will states.

In municipal law enforcement on a dept w/ 300+ sworn. I am in CID as a supervisor of detectives, but all of CID and other support divisions have to keep duty uniform and all street duty and mobile field force equipment (i.e. riot gear) in vehicle and be ready to go for crowd control if things get hairy such as civil disorder begins to erupt, or the more likely scenario of staffing levels to cover the patrol/field functions start dropping to due to personnel in the patrol division have to stay home 14 days in isolation-- then we will be told to suit up and start taking over the temporary vacancies in patrol. We may also go to 12 hour shifts at that time. Likely scenario for me personally if that unfolds might be posting to a critical infrastructure site, say a grocery store or a hospital, for security reinforcement. I'd prefer the grocery store detail vs. guarding a hospital's outdoor triage tent, etc. I'm 31 yrs into it. Original plan has been to retire at 32 yrs early next year. Hopefully that will still be an option.

No cut yet but 401k matching contribution is now stopped. Since I'm still being paid my full amount I haven't stopped my 401k contribution, but I might if I take a pay cut. Bonuses and raises of course are shelved. Mandatory vacation time, have to burn a week this month. Being salaried and being a computer, I'll just file for a random week and just take random half days off at my desire, I have a vested interest in keeping busy and keeping projects moving at full speed at work. Sucks but just the way it is--I'm grateful that I can work from home and have a home to work from.

BIL works in IT at a place with like 3k employees--well, 3k until they let go 2,200. He's taking it hard as he had to deactivate the emails. He also thinks he will be in the second round of layoffs (like when the place goes out altogether)... and he now has a week-old at home. No small stress for him.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Buckle down, not to fear monger -- but -- its only gonna get worse out there financially. That is why I say to my GF all the time -- "I do NOT want any other payment besides my mortgage." Granted, everybodys situation is different in life. Stay safe & positive people!!!
wink.gif

Smart move! Wait till the mortgage is gone.,, you are adding a few dollars as you can to get it paid off early?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by nickaluch
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
NYS employee here.. 40 hour work week with full benefits

You're not out of the woods yet. Expect big budget cuts

For governments at all levels, revenues are declining rapidly as tax takes from all sources dry up.
From income and payroll taxes to sales taxes to fuel taxes all are in free-fall.
State and local budgets are going to be strained for at least the rest of this calendar year.
Tough times ahead for governments and those who work for them.
The layoffs have already begun for some such workers.

Taxes are very important.

There will be major county / city layoffs in the near future. School districts will cut jobs, so will other non Police / Fire first responder type jobs.

This mess will last for more than a year.

And what will happen when homeowners stop paying the property taxes ?
Landlords not paying property taxes because all their renters stopped paying and courts refuse to evict them ?
Small business owners will also want a relief check and not pay any rent or taxes ?

Major snowball effect very soon.

If landlords or homeowners stop paying property taxes, the property is eventually auctioned off to the highest bidder. They have these auctions all the time.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
In municipal law enforcement on a dept w/ 300+ sworn. I am in CID as a supervisor of detectives, but all of CID and other support divisions have to keep duty uniform and all street duty and mobile field force equipment (i.e. riot gear) in vehicle and be ready to go for crowd control if things get hairy such as civil disorder begins to erupt, or the more likely scenario of staffing levels to cover the patrol/field functions start dropping to due to personnel in the patrol division have to stay home 14 days in isolation-- then we will be told to suit up and start taking over the temporary vacancies in patrol. We may also go to 12 hour shifts at that time. Likely scenario for me personally if that unfolds might be posting to a critical infrastructure site, say a grocery store or a hospital, for security reinforcement. I'd prefer the grocery store detail vs. guarding a hospital's outdoor triage tent, etc. I'm 31 yrs into it. Original plan has been to retire at 32 yrs early next year. Hopefully that will still be an option.

Could you retire now?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

If landlords or homeowners stop paying property taxes, the property is eventually auctioned off to the highest bidder. They have these auctions all the time.

If enough stop paying taxes...you have Detroit, where they don't auction because nobody is bidding.

Talked to my boss today.
I said I got hit with a double whammy.
You cut my hours and now corporate is cutting my pay by 10 %?
He said nothing I can do about the 10 % but you can go back 32 hours a week which is my norm.
I'm good with this.
All the salaried people got a 10 % cut and still have to work 40 or more hours.

Back