MASSIVE Costco haul - Chevron Supreme blowout

This past Saturday my boss showed up with all this Chevron Supreme 5/10w30 from Costco for 83 cents a quart!!! There was another pickup truck with another whole palette in the bed that I didn't get a picture of.

BBE3A448-FBEB-47ED-B91F-5336312FC076.jpeg

DFC849C8-4D9F-41CF-B26E-16A5582D3912.jpeg

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Wow-what are you going to do with all of it? If I had a Costco membership I would be checking them out!

We're a old school Chevron full service station and mechanic, so lots of oil changes
smile.gif

Maybe he should have used the money to upgrade that Sun diagnostic equipment in the shop! j/k

LOL there's plenty of stuff like that that could be upgraded
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Seriously now,
1) Was there any hassle in getting the loading doors open? Seriously, did it take time and repeat messages?

2) Did any employee wonder aloud if there was a limit; with seeking approval from a superior?

3) What was the total in quarts and in $?

Dave!! Where ya at? Got some competition here challenging your oil stash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
All hail the new Clearance Oil King!

Haha! Yeah, Dave just lost his plastic with gold painted crown
lol.gif

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Wow. How does this compare to Pit Packs or barrels in terms of $/qt?

I haven't priced out pit packs before, barrels from Oreilly from what I've seen doesn't save me anything over individual quarts. Don't have the space for barrels honestly.

Originally Posted by Kira
Seriously now,
1) Was there any hassle in getting the loading doors open? Seriously, did it take time and repeat messages?

2) Did any employee wonder aloud if there was a limit; with seeking approval from a superior?

3) What was the total in quarts and in $?

I have no clue what went down honestly. The guy that tends my bosses crawfish ponds saw them selling for 83 cents/quart and alerted him. If i had to guess, total after tax was $2938.04

Now if I were to sell every quart @ retail of $5.95 thats $21,061.85 - $2938.04 = $18,123.75

normally we pay our supplier about $3.20 at the most for Chevron Supreme, so needless to say, we saved A LOT.

Now that's the thing that gets me. Not that I was ever in the market personally, but every time I came across barrels and large amounts of oil that was obviously for oil change places, it was usually more or occasionally, equal to what I pay for my own oil, on a per quart basis. I always wondered about that....
Originally Posted by Samrsnow
normally we pay our supplier about $3.20 at the most for Chevron Supreme, so needless to say, we saved A LOT.

I once contacted the local Mobil distributor for wholesale prices, thinking I could buy larger quantities and see savings. Plus they delivered free if the order was over a certain gallon amount. Turns out their price on Mobil 1 oil was higher than what I would pay at the local O'Reillys. I can only imagine the local stores negotiate prices with the distributor.

I used to see Mobil stations rolling out cases of Mobil 1 from Costco. I asked the guy one time why he was getting it here. He said it was cheaper than his distributor.

Perhaps the economics of this is that Costco & Walmart are selling more oil than those distributors, and can pass the savings on to us?

Originally Posted by loneryder
I used to see Mobil stations rolling out cases of Mobil 1 from Costco. I asked the guy one time why he was getting it here. He said it was cheaper than his distributor.

Holy cow that's a lot of oil. Question, you only got 5/10w30? What about cars that call for a certain specification that chevron supreme doesn't meet, ex. Dexos, etc? What about cars that don't spec 5/10w30? In a few months new cars will start requiring API SP oils. I assume you guys are a respectable shop that would only use the correct oil the vehicle calls for. Seems you might have that stash sitting around for quite awhile.

It is a great oil and oil change specials would serve the business as well as the clients well.

Originally Posted by buddylpal
Holy cow that's a lot of oil. Question, you only got 5/10w30? What about cars that call for a certain specification that chevron supreme doesn't meet, ex. Dexos, etc? What about cars that don't spec 5/10w30? In a few months new cars will start requiring API SP oils. I assume you guys are a respectable shop that would only use the correct oil the vehicle calls for. Seems you might have that stash sitting around for quite awhile.

That's apparently the only weights they had according to my boss. We carry Mobil, Havoline, Castrol synthetics, etc all correct specs for the cars we service. the vast majority are those that only call for SAE 5w30/5w20. We still have the ability to order 5w20 from our supplier. I had not heard about API SP but I'm sure once those new vehicles are past their round of free dealer changes we'll have run through this supply.

I picked up a couple of cases in DFW area. They had 5-30 and 10-30. 12 quarts per case for $9.97. Oil is SN, GF5 rated. Appears to be bottled in '17 and '18.

I get it.
I come rolling in the shop for an oil change on a Honda and when I do the credit card transaction, my bill-receipt says I received 0w20, but it was really Chevron conv 10w30.

Back