Stock market!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
" All of these passive investors will get to see their paper losses in the coming weeks when the quarterly statements show up.that I was taught that our economy is based on periodic down turn cycles. The very same doom and gloom talk happened during the other turn downs."

Guy's, your panic recommendations go against what TIAA CREF has advised me through the past 4 downturns I've been through (1980,'87,'00,'08). With a well diversified 403b portfolio (plus Roth and a few others) adjusted to one's stage in life (risk level), I've always been told to stay the course. In very simplistic terms, they always said that during these downturns, your stock portions will be accumulating even more cheap shares that will grow even more when the upswing takes place. They haven't been wrong so far.

As bad as this is, again I repeat what I learned in high school economics: our economy is designed to go through periodic downturns. Each time is different, with different causes and effects. We survived back then. We will survive again.

Interesting that Toilet Paper after toilet paper thread gets shut down but the kittytickler lets clearly similar threads go for 25 pages...

BTW...that was the handle that this mod when by in the early daya of tenure, which was, of itself somewhat unbecoming...

Yes, the mention of body bags in the streets of NY city is much more becoming .
Also interesting how many political figures get mentioned lately, and no problem

Oops, that first part of my last thread got mangled up trying to do a quote.
33.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Much more important industries to help out than unimportant cruise ships.

Airlines and energy companies will be less - but remain vital sectors in any recovery
And faced with too much hate or fantasy that we have alternative solutions on par
(progress made, but long way to go).

Originally Posted by doitmyself
" All of these passive investors will get to see their paper losses in the coming weeks when the quarterly statements show up.that I was taught that our economy is based on periodic down turn cycles. The very same doom and gloom talk happened during the other turn downs."

Guy's, your panic recommendations go against what TIAA CREF has advised me through the past 4 downturns I've been through (1980,'87,'00,'08). With a well diversified 403b portfolio (plus Roth and a few others) adjusted to one's stage in life (risk level), I've always been told to stay the course. In very simplistic terms, they always said that during these downturns, your stock portions will be accumulating even more cheap shares that will grow even more when the upswing takes place. They haven't been wrong so far.

As bad as this is, again I repeat what I learned in high school economics: our economy is designed to go through periodic downturns. Each time is different, with different causes and effects. We survived back then. We will survive again.

Appreciate the positive outlook. I too have been through the years you mentioned but NEVER before have I seen the gloom and doom (even if its true) being stated everyday like it is now. Makes you wonder, why for heavens sake would some people push so hard for a BAD ending? I am sure opinions will vary to this question.

Wait till hyper inflation kicks in. It may take atleast 7-10 years for things to get back to normal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Wait till hyper inflation kicks in. It may take atleast 7-10 years for things to get back to normal.

Gotta ask, do you have any skin in the game??

Originally Posted by Lubener

Hyperinflation? Which tv bobble head spouted that one?

Hyperinflation? At the end of this no one will have any money to buy anything! That'll keep inflation in check.

Originally Posted by 007
Makes you wonder, why for heavens sake would some people push so hard for a BAD ending? I am sure opinions will vary to this question.

Who's pushing for a bad ending? I think some people get confused between reality and conspiracy/fantasy.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by 007
Makes you wonder, why for heavens sake would some people push so hard for a BAD ending? I am sure opinions will vary to this question.

Who's pushing for a bad ending? I think some people get confused between reality and conspiracy/fantasy.

Some people are in LaLa Land and refuse to accept the terrible news and facts that the inevitable (recession, possibly a depression) is right around the corner.

Positive thinking will only do so much.

20+ million unemployed people in the USA and our economy coming to a screeching halt is difficult to ignore.

Constant negative thinking will result in even less. It's time to accept the facts of what IS happening and deal with it. Anyone who has dealt with serious legal or health issues will relate to what I am suggesting. The babble in this thread is starting to mimic CNN and Fox News. Very little constructive discussion and debate is going on. It has surpassed any level of usefulness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
Constant negative thinking will result in even less. It's time to accept the facts of what IS happening and deal with it. Anyone who has dealt with serious legal or health issues will relate to what I am suggesting. The babble in this thread is starting to mimic CNN and Fox News. Very little constructive discussion and debate is going on. It has surpassed any level of usefulness.

So will "hopeful thinking" make the stock market rise? Maybe for Barbra Eden (aka "Jeannie"), lol. Obviously, nobody on earth wants the world economy and markets to collapse, regardless of the reasons.

The market will react closer to what's going on in the world now then it did when falsely manipulated by big players in the market.

Originally Posted by dja4260
IF you had a spare 10k to invest for a short term gain. What you invest in?

I don't, I'm asking for a friend...

Ventilator and medical supply manufacturers.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Ws6

-will another bank refinance me at a fixed rate maybe, in another few months, desperate to make a loan, if I pursue it?
-in 3 years when my refi is due anyways, will the interest rate go up or down from when I financed it 2 years ago? (The bank I went through bases it in the NY prime)?

The Fed lowered rates to nearly zero as a way to prop up banks and the economy which runs on debt.
Mortgage rates will likely be even better bargains than they are now.
If you are a qualified borrower, you will do very well.

Good luck.

When would be prime time to refi? Now? A year from now?

I watch this guy on YouTube. Love his commentary and his views on this economy. He likes to stock up on brass, food, water and prepare for bad times ahead. This video was published Sept 24, 2019.

Fast forward to 15:45 and listen to what he says about a recession and black swan even happening in the USA. At 18:20 he again says our country is one black swan event away from causing severe problems in America.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
What's going to happen when people stop paying their mortgages and try to use certain laws to stay in their homes ?

How will landlords stay afloat with renters not paying and the courts refusing to evict anyone ?

Another housing bubble around the corner and people were simply financially over leveraged. The American Dream is not being up to your eyeballs in debt and living pay check to pay check.

It will be 2009 again 3X worse and there will be no V recovery.

As a 2nd gen landlord I can say that you have to do what is reasonable in risk management. I've seen people who assume certain area will always be occupied and rent don't go down even in a recession, then they brag about it in an AMA internet thread. There is always something that can happen when you are running a business, and you need to know what you can handle.

If Wuhan is only locked down for 3 months, how many months can a landlord hold out? Did they have some sort of safety margin to protect against a foreclosure?

Housing bubble is always going to be around, people always over leverage and got foreclosed, this repeats every generation and their credit scores cleans up after a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back