Childhood friend dies

He got his calling card. I'm angry, upset and so much more. We spent alot of years together playing. I'm kinda beside myself right now. Lost my sobriety tonight and so much more. It's unbelievable, unbearable, and just plain sad. I'm angry. Died of Chinese virus, he's the tall black kid in blue and white. I broke my leg in 3rd grade.

Yesterday, April 2, 2020, one of the most genuine human beings I've ever known, Vincent Edwards, died from the coronavirus (COVID-19). He was 40 years old.

Vincent was a fellow Jayhawk; he held bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Kansas. He was originally from Wichita, Kansas and, after graduating from KU, he moved out to DC about 13 years ago and worked in the DC area for a non-profit.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, loved Vincent. It was hard not to. He had a warm spirit and an impeccable capacity to really force you to think about and, in most instances, reconsider your most entrenched positions. I remember countless late night debates with him about politics, current events, religion, etc. Words escape me to even begin to do justice to his memory.

The unfortunate reality is that all of us are probably going to personally experience the impact of this pandemic at some point, so I wanted to take a moment to bring some awareness to this issue.

DSC_0015.JPG

sorry for your loss, did he have an underlying health condition or maybe a smoker. 40 years old is too young to go

Last edited:
Ah man, so sorry. Of course this will get locked and might disappear but thanks for sharing and making it personal and real.

This thing is a dice roll, healthy young people die from it, a 90 year old on TV tonight is recovering.

If this thread locks,im done. I have nobody but you all. I have nowhere left to go or turn. Its my only outlet left in this world.

I always had hoped for a long life for all. Sadly,I've been disappointed in so many cases recently. How or why I carry on is a mystery.I'd like to take a moment to thank bitog as an outlet,anti drug place to be. I cant even attend AA right now on account of this current crap and though I'm making or getting by its has taken its toll on me for sure. I've needed to vent and im glad i can. Thank you for your time; currently using 0w30 m1.

Marco620,

So sad to hear, time is a great healer. Don't waste yourself drowning in liquor, visit grave and talk to him. I have been there, my 21 years old nephew stood in front of train (serious depression). 12 years now and I still go and talk to him at the grave.
Being a non practicing Muslim our believe is God created us and to him we belong; he is going to take us back at the time and place predetermined by Lord. Vincent RIP.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I know what you mean about the internet/forums, too. I hate interacting IRL, because dealing with people is what I need to vent ABOUT, so use the net quite a bit. I've learned there is always a forum for whatever interest I have at the time, or a Facebook group, or whatever. Sometimes starting something is cathartic in it's own way, like that time old Pim (or someone, I think it was him?) got all self righteous about some comment I made and was all "you do nothing for society, I shall block you!" and I about died laughing at the irony.

Sorry to hear of your loss, OP.
I've lost some family and friends who were in their early-mid 30s due to suicide (IMHO, their drug abuse didn't help the situation).

I've also questioned my reason for being here (heck, I still do this daily) while we slipped through each others lives like two ships in the night.

All I can say is EVERYTHING happens for a reason.
We may not see it initially, but in the grand scheme of things, it all will make perfect sense.

Stay strong my friend
thumbsup2.gif

Feel for you... Hard hard thing to lose a good friend...

I have been there... Still hard on me.

Take care of yourself Marco....

Get back on the path you need to be on...

Your friend... He'd want that for you.

More than anything. . He'd want you... To be able to get on the path again... To help yourself be the person you need to be... And be the best you can be. He'd want that for you. And you know that is true.

My sincerest condolences. I know how you feel. I've lost two best friends over the years. One at the age of 10 to cancer, and the other at 35 just passing away in his sleep. It hurts. It will hurt for awhile. But eventually the pain subsides and you are left with great memories. I'm sure your friend would want you to continue to live life to the fullest.

I wish you peace and a better tomorrow.

RIP, Vincent.

I will say this...

Whatever it is that takes a person we care a whole, whole lot about out of here...

Gone is gone .. .

Whether by a over dose injection of their own insulin medication like my really good friend Scott took....

Or bacterial pneumonia that has taken many many people I have cared for at my high end retirement center...

Or UTI turned septic which took my grandma..... Plus a good number of the patients I have taken care of...

Or a post operative infection that caused a patient I took care of in the hospital to die.... On the operating room table... Which caused the staff in that room to all be in tears... That was hard on them... They don't lose people like that hardly ever.. . And in that circumstance it eventually became a "sentinel" event...aka a huge deal for the hospital... And one of the hardest thing I have ever had to do was take his belongings to his wife. .. knowing it should not have been that way.

Last edited:
Very very sorry for your loss. Many here will suffer and need an outlet. Not everyone has the support system in place to handle severe stress and people will turn to their favorite online communities when in need. Hopefully the Little Corporal or whoever runs this site will realize that discussing a major event like Covid is healthy, rather than allowing it's user-base to build some resentment towards them, like they are currently doing.

I personally have a great contact in the Infectious Disease world, the #2 man of a Dr. that has been on TV discussing this Virus. I was reluctant to share what I've been told because of the authoritative stance taken here.

Sincere Condolences.
Thank you for your brave post and for honoring your true friend. I'm 58 and you are helping me learn how this is impacting so many. Some of us will indeed have our turn to suffer loss/es. We are supposed to be getting closer to the worst of it and learning more on the way.

Continue reaching out and keeping us in tune with how you are doing.

~ brian

Last edited:
Back