Castrol edge vs Valvoline synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer Valvoline in this comparison. If you want a deal on oils go to Walmart.com and get the 13.93 jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by zeng
Aside of operating viscosity , Titanium addpack in Edge would help in quieten noise not suggesting Mo and Boron ,if any from Valvoline doesn't help .

Valvoline Advanced has titanium (35 ppm) even though they don't mention it any where on their bottles or website. Advanced has more Mo and Boron as well, good stuff.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...oa-valvoline-synthetic-dexos1-gen-2-5w30

Edge has 9 ppm titanium and Magnatec has more coming in at 30 ppm.

Edge
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5002982/1

Magnatec
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4790192/voa-castrol-magnatec-d1g2-5w30

All of these are 5w30.

Nothing against Edge, it is on my list of oils to try in my Lucerne and I have run Magnatec in it but I'm sticking with Advanced in my truck.

+1
I stand corrected , and Valvoline Advanced synthetic has my vote .

Not trying to give you a hard time here... Not my intention at all...

Its just when I see these oil vs oil threads I can't help but think of that famous boxing ring announcer
Mike Buffer say, " Let's get ready to rumble"....

lol.gif

Originally Posted by BTLew81
Running a 5k oci based on this being a tgdi. Cheap insurance. I've definitely toyed with the idea of super tech or Kirkland. .

Nothing cheap or insured about it, Young oils cause more wear, due to fresh DP surface competition, too frequent an OC generates massive waste across the country and exposes the risk of dry starts and VVT mechanism , jamming and damage.

I was a 4- 5k OC guy I've changed and the Car is happier, the Planet is happier and my Bank Account is happier.

_____________ Try it, you'll like it !

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Running a 5k oci based on this being a tgdi. Cheap insurance. I've definitely toyed with the idea of super tech or Kirkland. .

Nothing cheap or insured about it, Young oils cause more wear, due to fresh DP surface competition, too frequent an OC generates massive waste across the country and exposes the risk of dry starts and VVT mechanism , jamming and damage.

I was a 4- 5k OC guy I've changed and the Car is happier, the Planet is happier and my Bank Account is happier.

oh no what shall I do...…..I'm destroying my engines....

Originally Posted by earthbound

.... And the planet and your wallet!

Originally Posted by earthbound

.... And the planet and your wallet!

2 less cups of coffee from coffee shop. Millions run shorter OCI getting 300k before junkyard and still running. Oh wait let's put that money in stocks for retirement shucks just lost it all with market.

Thanks. I'm well versed on young oil. TGDI. I'm running 5k, maybe 7.5k max based on uoas for this engine. That's my choice and that won't change.

Originally Posted by tiger862

2 less cups of coffee from coffee shop. Millions run shorter OCI getting 300k before junkyard and still running. Oh wait let's put that money in stocks for retirement shucks just lost it all with market.

Were you going to take the money out this month?

If not, You didn't loose anything - its just deferred.

Possibly a lost opportunity, if you have a good working crystal ball

Whaddya want for free?

.We got too greedy. Played that last hand when you should have left the table.

My Mom use to say Easy Come, Easy go!

Originally Posted by kschachn
Never mind.

Were you going to state my quoting of a Flawed study?

smile.gif

My last 2 UOA on the Subaru show less wear / mile than the short changers or the Fuji H.I. recommended interval.

Not that I put too much stock in UOA representing actual wear.

*This is an INCORRECT statement to make for extending OCI's for a TGDI engine as by 5K miles the oil is usually shot with increased intake valve deposits looming - flat out , TGDI engines are hard on oil thus no blanket statements extending OCI's need apply for these engines .

Running a 5k oci based on this being a tgdi. Cheap insurance. I've definitely toyed with the idea of super tech or Kirkland. Both are impressive and meet the specs Honda requires...an SN certified oil.

Thanks for all of the input. I agree. With a shorter oci a decent synthetic will be just fine.

My car also has a tgdi, and i just did the oil change this past weekend at 1,250 miles. I don't drive a lot but it's a lot of city driving ,so i may change it every 3k. I know it's unneeded and a waste of money but i have peace of mind knowing fresh oil is being put in every 3k.

I like the titanium add pack in Castrol so I use it. For years, I boycotted Valvoline due to Ashland's antics, but it has been divested and it was always good oil.

Either will serve you well.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

*This is an INCORRECT statement to make for extending OCI's for a TGDI engine as by 5K miles the oil is usually shot with increased intake valve deposits looming - flat out , TGDI engines are hard on oil thus no blanket statements extending OCI's need apply for these engines .

So the 10K/ 1 year VW recommended interval for my Jetta will blow the engine under their long warranty?

Show me speadsheet and a LOT of data points and I might moderate.

But NEW engines may show high fuel dilultion, only after 10k - 15 K is the UOA worth looking at.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I like the titanium add pack in Castrol so I use it. For years, I boycotted Valvoline due to Ashland's antics, but it has been divested and it was always good oil.

Either will serve you well.

What antics? Outting XoM

You dont play by the Rules and set yourself at the mountain top,

you are going to get knocked down.

Or at least and attempt will be made.

BIg oil can fight all they want

No Fanboy here, I just watch and place my side bets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back