Leftover 100LL in vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
After putting away some power equip for long term storage using 100LL AvGas, I overbought and have about 2-3 gallons left over. Finally found a local ethanol free (94 unleaded E0) pump in VT I'm going to fill up my gas cans with, but want to get rid of the leftover fuel. Would this be fine to pour in my 05 Crown Vic before filling up the 19 gallon tank afterwards? It is catless, but I am worried about my O2 sensors primarily. Would you say this is worth doing?

Originally Posted by Cujet
The lead will contaminate the O2 sensors. Why not simply keep the fuel? It never really goes bad.

Consolidating cans to rotate my supply and can't have that small amount holding up a 5gal jug.

The lead will contaminate the O2 sensors. Why not simply keep the fuel? It never really goes bad.

To the OP: By a set of spark plugs while you're at it.

Last edited:
Those couple of gallons diluted with regular gas won't hurt a thing, especially considering you have no cats... pour it in and go!

Lol these guys get all worked up when anyone mentions 100LL, meaning it is LOW LEAD.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Those couple of gallons diluted with regular gas won't hurt a thing, especially considering you have no cats... pour it in and go!

Lol these guys get all worked up when anyone mentions 100LL, meaning it is LOW LEAD.

LOL - guys don't know much about avgas.

LOW LEAD is deceiving. Don't go by the implications of the name, go by the actual definition. The actual specification.

When compared with high octane (115/145) warbird fuel, yes, 100 LL is low lead.

It still has four times the lead of leaded automotive gasoline. Low Lead = a lot of actual lead. Not a little.

So, dumping a few gallons of this in your tank is a lot like running a full tank of leaded gasoline.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas

Last edited:
Originally Posted by racin4ds

I got curious about lead content in auto fuel, and I'm not finding it easy to find what standard auto fuel was held to, prior to unleaded fuel days. Wikipedia indicates
TEL remains an ingredient of 100 octane avgas for piston-engine aircraft. The current formulation of 100LL (low lead, blue) aviation gasoline contains 2.12 grams per US gallon (0.56 g/l) of TEL, half the amount of the previous 100/130 (green) octane avgas (at 4.24 grams per gallon),[57] but only slightly less than the 2.2 grams per gallon historically permitted in automotive leaded gasoline...

This link further indicates that automobile leaded gas was around 2 grams per gallon also. Granted, this is an average, but in conclusion, it sounds like 100LL is about leaded autogas used to be.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The O2 sensor is not the main problem, the catalytic converter ($$$) is. I had heard somewhere back in the day that 1 or 2 tankfulls will deactivate the cat. I'd run it in your OPE, m/c's, old vehicles or anything else w/o cats. Great stuff, stable, lasts a long time.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
The O2 sensor is not the main problem, the catalytic converter ($$$) is. I had heard somewhere back in the day that 1 or 2 tankfulls will deactivate the cat. I'd run it in your OPE, m/c's, old vehicles or anything else w/o cats. Great stuff, stable, lasts a long time.

I guess reading comprehension is still a weakness of BITOG users

Originally Posted by PantherFan88

lol.gif
Sure is!

or reading and typing on BITOG while on concalls with clients paying half attention to both.... :)

Last edited:

Consolidating cans to rotate my supply and can't have that small amount holding up a 5gal jug.

You know you can add gas to a can with some already in it. There is no rule that you have to put 5 gallons of gas in a 5 gallon can whenever you fill it.

Originally Posted by jhellwig

You know you can add gas to a can with some already in it. There is no rule that you have to put 5 gallons of gas in a 5 gallon can whenever you fill it.

Some people have OCD. You've see the ones that buy a 5 qt jug for $22 and a qt for $8 because they need 6 qts and don't want to have a partial jug laying around.

OP another option is to fill the can the rest of the way up with 100LL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back