what would you do

I bought a new basic push mower late last year 3.5 briggs...used it maybe 3 times last year and i'm about ready to use it again...my question the oil is like new , clear and maybe a total of 3 hours at the most. would you change it or just use it as is ?

I'd use it, change it at the end of the season before you put it away for the winter.

I usually follow the owner's manual (or am more conservative), UNLESS it says that changing ISN'T necessary - just top-off.

I would change the initial fill at 5 hours regardless of color then at the end of each mowing season thereafter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
I would change the initial fill at 5 hours regardless of color then at the end of each mowing season thereafter.

Same here.

Drain it and see what comes out at the bottom and then look at the oil in the sunlight.

Dipsticks are shiny and tell you nothing about the oil at the bottom of the sump or how the oil's chemistry has changed with usage and storage.

I agree with Lubener and Molakule, but would push it to about 8 hours and then get rid of the break in oil. Did you extract a good amount of oil to determine your "like new" assessment? Unless Briggs came up with new engine manufacturing methods, I bet when you drain it you will see lots of sparklies when the oil is pooled in drain container.

Last edited:
I would suck it out of the mower, run it thru at least 2 separate coffee filters and put it back in. You know that oil is fine to use, just need to get the crumbs out if it. Most people never change their mowers oil and they last for years. Even the cheap models.,,,

I'd change it. Every spring I start with fresh oil in my mower. Sitting all winter with last years dirt and not to mention the moisture.. dump it

Use it with no doubts.
Many people buy mowers and use them for years before they change the oil
Some mower manufacturers even say you never need to change the oil. I do not believe that
but I do know that oil is fine after 3 hours.

I change new ope engines at 15 minutes, again after 3 hours, then once a year. For my pushmower i change it every 2 years, as it is not run that much.

I'd change it, all the crud from making the engine is in there.

after that, every couple years or 50hours.

thanks guys for all the info...what I might do is run it one or two times yet then change it

Personally I get break in oil out of all motors and drive lines early … and probably 1/3 of the time I see sparkles in the oil or over-loaded magnets that keeps me doing it.

Back