Drag Race: Lamborghini Aventador vs NEW Tesla Model S Performance

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
I'd take the Aventador anyday over the Tesla.

I think I'd take the Model S and a 300K check to balance out the difference.

The Lambo certainly sounds better to my ear, though.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Can I have both?
Actually, the Tesla Roadster will spank anything out there.

So when is it actually going to be for sale?

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by 2010Civic
I'd take the Aventador anyday over the Tesla.

I think I'd take the Model S and a 300K check to balance out the difference.

The Lambo certainly sounds better to my ear, though.

This👆

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Some people must have more money than they know what to do with it.

Yep just not me.
cry.gif

Wow Tesla must have really stepped up their game

Last stats I saw showed the Tesla acceleration dropping sharply after repeated runs.

And it was only really good after a special overnight charge

Stick something other than gravel under the tires and a hot, sticky tire, and the Tesla is in the rearview every time. 10.6 seconds while spinning is an indication of a crazy fast car. Maybe 10.teens on a prepped track, or even a hair faster. Tesla isn't going to gain much on a prepped surface.

This should actually be Tesla's targeted competition, because the Aventador is one of the few cars that the Tesla may beat on total miles before the need to refuel. However, Lambo wins on that speed too.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Wow Tesla must have really stepped up their game

Last stats I saw showed the Tesla acceleration dropping sharply after repeated runs.

And it was only really good after a special overnight charge

Yep. In a one-off race a Tesla dust almost any road going supercar. However apparently the limiting factor is heat. Tesla's can't for example spend a day a the track. They overheat, but then again the majority of supercar owners don't take the vehicles to the track anyways.

One thing for sure is that Tesla will put a hurt on the badge snobs who like to race on city streets and spend $$$ on mods.

Exactly - it's a 12 second stunt. Blindingly fast.

Once.

Next run, the Tesla will be a lot slower. By run 4 or 5, it'll be heat-limited, and outrun by my wife's ancient Volvo wagon...

You can't track the car, because the controller heat build-up chokes the car's power. Car and Driver famously did a test, Tesla v. Porsche. The Tesla leapt ahead, then died as heat got to it, the Porsche ran away after that.

So, if your goal is to have one really fast run, stop light to stop light, then the Tesla is your stunt machine. Run hard on a road course, or at high speed, the Tesla can't keep up.

I'm curious, how are Tesla sales in Germany? How do they do on the autobahn at sustained high speed?

My VW Passat rental (diesel, six speed manual, wagon) a few years ago would run all day at 220-230 KM. Which was top speed for the car. Foot to the floor. Normal temps. A very impressive car, by the way.

Could the Tesla keep up with a rental VW wagon?

Yeah … that type of driving is only suitable for the NHRA … and those are crazy fast …

Originally Posted by Astro14

Once.

Next run, the Tesla will be a lot slower. By run 4 or 5, it'll be heat-limited, and outrun by my wife's ancient Volvo wagon...

You can't track the car, because the controller heat build-up chokes the car's power. Car and Driver famously did a test, Tesla v. Porsche. The Tesla leapt ahead, then died as heat got to it, the Porsche ran away after that.

So, if your goal is to have one really fast run, stop light to stop light, then the Tesla is your stunt machine. Run hard on a road course, or at high speed, the Tesla can't keep up.

I'm curious, how are Tesla sales in Germany? How do they do on the autobahn at sustained high speed?

My VW Passat rental (diesel, six speed manual, wagon) a few years ago would run all day at 220-230 KM. Which was top speed for the car. Foot to the floor. Normal temps. A very impressive car, by the way.

Tesla, with their limited history in Germany, is off to a good start. I don't think the typical BEV owner in Germany is too concerned about being able to road trip at 100 mph for more than a couple of minutes. i've been told that traffic is getting more and more congested in Germany.

Originally Posted by Astro14

Once.

Once? In the video the Tesla's fastest run was its 3rd, at 10.4 seconds. Not exactly sure how Car and Driver's 3rd run was almost 14 seconds.

Either way it does appear the Porsche Taycan is more repeatable than a Model S. The Model 3/Y is a much different story as it wasn't designed a decade ago.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/1...celeration-can-we-troll-fossils-instead/

Rumors are the new Tri-Motor Model S Plaid coming this summer will have the Model 3/Y battery/electronics cooling system.

I just wonder how long it will be before electric cars can actually compete, head-to-head, with ICEs, for range.

I'd consider competing head-to-head, having at least a 350-mile range on a charge, at speeds of up to 85 mph, and then being able to take a full recharge in less than 30 minutes.

Just thinking about road trips, here. 30 min for a recharge might seem like a long time when compared to 5 min to refuel your car. But it would be acceptable to me. Any longer than that, or much shorter of a range, and I wouldn't be interested in buying one as a do-it-all car.

They get to that point and I'll consider buying one.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I just wonder how long it will be before electric cars can actually compete, head-to-head, with ICEs, for range.

I'd consider competing head-to-head, having at least a 350-mile range on a charge, at speeds of up to 85 mph, and then being able to take a full recharge in less than 30 minutes.

Just thinking about road trips, here. 30 min for a recharge might seem like a long time when compared to 5 min to refuel your car. But it would be acceptable to me. Any longer than that, or much shorter of a range, and I wouldn't be interested in buying one as a do-it-all car.

They get to that point and I'll consider buying one.

Word is Tesla is about to release a 400 mile range Model 3 in the Shanghai plant.
400 mile range Model 3

Shanghai, aka Gigafactory 3, was shut down but is back up as up mid February.
They delivered almost 9,400 cars in Q1, about 3,900 in March. Q2 is estimated to deliver almost twice Q1 numbers.

As an owner, you learn these cars are different. Charge at home; you start every day with a full tank. Sweet...
On the road, you don't run to empty then fill up. You drive and charge, when convenient if possible, enough to get where you are going. Then fill up.
You learn.
As always, I tell people these cars are not for everyone; they are different.
But owning is certainly doable. These things are the future.

Last edited:
Back