Synthetic oil ok too use w/bar leaks oil leak stop?

Hi all! Car has a oil pan leak. 98 Buick lesabre limited.got it Craigslist 2 years ago,had so many problems,I've since fixed. Had 111,000 miles or so,on it. Now 124,000. So!last year I put Castro synthetic in it,edge, 0w30. Wanted too try different. Leak developed from oil filter area.oil pan gasket,facing filter side.it's not a bad leak at all. Put a large red bottle of gumout oil stop leak I bought a while back!it wirked,mostly!still drips a little.
Can,bars leak stop leak,for oil,he used,with synthetic oil? I have quarts,of Pennzoil ultra I bought on clearance autozone, 2013 stockpiled.I do know,it has a lot of calcium in it. That means,clean. I used mobil1 in a 95 neon some 15 years ago. It cleaned so well,my dear main had to be replaced on that car.but puddle of fresh oil under the car.
So!with my lesabre, I know not too use synthetic.unless,it has stop leak in it,like high mileage have conditioners. Is it risky?ok? Too use the bars leak with Pennzoil ultra? Would the oil basically clean,the bars leak won't work?

I would use what you have. I don't know about bars leak but if it's a minor leak why worry about it? It will likely leak the same with conventional now. I'd rather run good oil and not worry about stop leak unless it was a major leak.

The leak probably has more to do with the vehicle sitting a lot before you bought it. Age is hard on those gaskets. As long as you don't have intake gasket leaks than I wouldn't worry about that engine.

Last edited:
Figured, ice use my stash as a yearly flush,before an oil change.but,why waste can good oil like that.I do know,it will leak,without a sea?er/rejuvinator. Pennzoil ultra cleans so good,it has a lot of calcium in it.alot...would that calcium , make the bars leak basicaly,pointless too use? Or,would,the bars leak,infact,seal up the oil pan with a cleaning oil like Pennzoil ultra?

The oil and the stop leak will not conflict, you can read this on Bar's website. Whether or not it'll address your problemo is a different discussion but if you have the $5 to burn it's not gonna hurt anything. Keep in mind it could take several hundred miles for a stop leak to have an effect. You can also try a HiMi formula oil for a couple of drain intervals to see if that improves things. If not, the seal is likely too far gone for any stop leak. Also if your pan gasket is fibre, no stop leak will help with that. You need to replace it.

I think...the oil pan gasket is shot.I checked oil dipstick other day,it was not full! 4.7 quart engine. I used Castro synthetic 0w30 back in october,last oil change. Have about 2500 miles now.I do know,last oil change,side of filter facing oil pan,had oil on it.that's how I know,gasket not good,oil pan. But,I just a used too low a viscosity oil,and being synthetic,more slippery,it all eventual came out! I poured 4.5 quarts old backline dino 5s30 I got at clearance,Wal-Mart 2004 or so. Car is specd,for 10w30. Book shows 5 a30 is ok,if cold.oil cap shows 10a 30.

Synthetic oil may be aggravating the leak stopping. As far as a plasticizer stop leak.. tried Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak? Or White Shepherd?

There IS Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic (which I have used, and like to use) however.. any conventional or maybe even Pennzoil High Mileage (or again.. MaxLife) may work well.

In trying HM oils.. I have found MaxLife to be the most effective. I sometimes try something else, to give it a shot and see how it does.

Or, just J-B Weld the hole in the pan. Works well on oil....

Is the pan sealed with RTV? [silicone sealant] ?
No it is a one piece, the problems with these are, the pan is a PITA to change and the pans rust badly. If the pan is showing any significant rust just change the pan and gasket and usually the front engine mount. The other problem is a leaky pan sometimes hoses the hydraulic front engine mount. No NOS are available only GM made in China, the aftermarket suck beyond belief.
OP check the pan bolt tightness, many times they are loose (especially the 3 up front), do not over tighten and break them.

GM OIL PAN.jpg

Back