Lubegard Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant - VOA

Cowboy, I'm willing to bet a CASE of Lucas in your engines that, unless the test was measuring most increased wear (due to aeration of the oil), Lucas would not come out on top using any oil.

There are always marketing shenanigans going on since these companies are competing for your dollars. While I (and I have not seen many others) cannot say that LG products produce statistically significant reductions in wear numbers compared to other additives vs. plain oil, I certainly haven't seen it produce any worse numbers, either. While definitely not an indicator of all of their products, LG Red has been factory-approved by several OEMs for problematic transmissions, and I wonder if the only reason Bio/Tech hasn't seen 'official' endorsement is because, really, 99% of today's name brand oils will deliver all the protection that any engine needs if you use the proper viscosity and API/ACEA/ILSAC classification.

So, I think it is unfair to call it a 'snake oil' in the vein of true snake oils; Bio/Tech certainly carries a nice boost for the add pack and TBN... but if you're spending money on a good engine oil, no additive is truly necessary in nearly all applications. If you're buying the bullhockey that carries PQIA warnings, then it really might be smart to not start your engine without it
smile.gif

I Dont use LG to reduce wear, frankly I dont care. I use it to reduce the oil consumption of my 2002 4.6L v8 from 1500 miles per quart to almost 3000 miles per quart. Thats enough for me to know it works.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I Dont use LG to reduce wear, frankly I dont care. I use it to reduce the oil consumption of my 2002 4.6L v8 from 1500 miles per quart to almost 3000 miles per quart. Thats enough for me to know it works.

What property of the LG do you think is reducing the oil usage? Esters fixing seal leaks, or...? (I'm also a becoming a fan of it, not challenging you, just wondering what all it's doing inside).

Esters cleaning the ring packs and keeping them clean.
Just a guess.
I have also noticed in various engines a reduction of oil burning where rings and compression were concerned.

Originally Posted by Boss302fan
Most motor oils are formulated so well today, that you do not need to add anything to them.

Completely disagree!! Look at Redline, Amsoil and Motul 300V line. Granted these Are Not API, but if you look at their Voa, data sheets and such you see where they have more additives, better noack, lower pour point and so on. Today's oils are better yes, but they are set on price point. And that maybe holds more true where we got people bickering over oil that costs more than 2 dollars per qt. Many on here have used these ester based products for their affitiny to metal and quieting down engines or reduce consumption. I've had luck myself with Redline Oil for that issue as well as Archoil and Lubegard biotech. I recently had to go up a grade as I want to slow my consumption and have introduced lubegard. Lately it's been almost nothing to top off.

I'm using LGB because of a paper that was posted on here (in a different forum) about tests of timing chain wear vs different additives. Wear was inversely proportional to moly and P content, and was directly proportional to zinc content. This was one of the rare times when there's been actual test data instead of just people making claims with no real evidence. Since the LGB adds significant moly and P, and hardly any Z, seems like a good thing, especially for my Ford Duratec(?) V6 that has a really long chain. If it helps keep rings/pistons clean, that's also a big plus.

Originally Posted by 4WD
This thread started in 2012 ?
Is the product the same now ?

I don't know but I'm sure being the credible company LG is, its the same or better. I put the 32oz bottle in my 05 F350 PSD about 4000 miles ago and have no complaints. The truck runs fine and I can't say it fixed anything because there was nothing wrong other than a minor cold start stumble which is now just about gone.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by 4WD
This thread started in 2012 ?
Is the product the same now ?

I don't know but I'm sure being the credible company LG is, its the same or better. I put the 32oz bottle in my 05 F350 PSD about 4000 miles ago and have no complaints. The truck runs fine and I can't say it fixed anything because there was nothing wrong other than a minor cold start stumble which is now just about gone.

Not to nitpick but the company making Bio/Tech is not LubeGard, it is International Lubricants, Inc. (ILI) of Seattle. LubeGard is simply another product line of ILI.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Gumout-510011-6PK-Multi-System-Tune-Up-Pack/dp/B01876F1GQ

I would use this instead because you can use it on various neglected areas. I would use some in the gas tank because the pea additive with help clean up the injection and such. I've used it like a throttle body cleaner. Just pour in a misting bottle and use like you are spraying carb cleaner. Can be used in oil crankcase and is safer to operate than a flush. I would add it to a cold motor at recommended mix rate and drive it normally for about 20 miles on highway, bring it in and change oil. Make sure to use a good oil, air filter like Fram ultra or napa gold parts. If it has lots of miles a high mileage oil like pennzoil high mileage or quaker state hm would be a good starting point. Changing it fairly often will help. I recommend around 3,000 miles and no more till you know for certain it's coming around and things are looking good then extend.

Originally Posted by 97tbird
A bit OT:
They also make a "flush"....to use with or without a machine... I am wondering if it can be beneficial in a vehicle that has an unknown maintenance history....
Can't HURT I guess...

https://www.lubegard.com/products/engineflush/

[Linked Image from lubegard.com]

Might flush more than you want. Get it hot and do an oil change and see what comes out. I've listed below a Gumout product that can help out.

Just used liqui moly professional engine flush on a used carve just bought.
It was nice because it did not smell like a toxic mess.

BG EPR is some crazy stuff. You want to open it in a well ventilated space.

Lubegard makes great products. I trust them as a company.

Originally Posted by 97tbird
A bit OT:
They also make a "flush"....to use with or without a machine... I am wondering if it can be beneficial in a vehicle that has an unknown maintenance history....
Can't HURT I guess...

https://www.lubegard.com/products/engineflush/

[Linked Image from lubegard.com]

I've spoken to LG in the past about this product, while the page states no alcohol they seem to believe the product is safe to run in the oil for normal use as well. I probably wouldn't run a full quart for a OCI but maybe a little here or there to try and slowly clean the motor.

It really depends on the effectiveness of the product itself but from what they said it's safe to put in a vehicle while operating it.

Back