Move car w/ NO coolant?

I mistakenly read the torque of my radiator drain plug as nm instead of kg-cm resulting in me breaking off the head.
I won't be able to get the part until tomorrow and I'd like to close the garage which the bacl end is blocking.
Can I safely drive my car back off the ramps and then forward into the garage? About 10ft total and maybe 30secs.

2008 Mazda CX-9

Thanks in advance!

P.S. any tips on removing the plastic bolt that's left inside the drain hole?

Yes.

Dragsters have no coolant.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
No problem.
Your car won't get anywhere near up to temperature in the 30sec you have it running.

If you have a left-hand drillbit, drill slowly into the plug and allow it to grab and back the plug out.

Originally Posted by gregk24
What about water pump? Running that dry does not sound good to me.

Yea, I wouldn't risk it at all. I'd get a few burly neighbors to help move it.

Originally Posted by gregk24
What about water pump? Running that dry does not sound good to me.

Highly unlikely ALL the coolant was drained.

Even if t were, it would not be harmed for that short duration.

Back in the day my friends use to abuse the heck out of engines that were in vehicles that were going to the bone-yard and then see if they would still run. They did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Back in the day my friends use to abuse the heck out of engines that were in vehicles that were going to the bone-yard and then see if they would still run. They did.

Most people have a little bit higher of a standard than, "dang, she still runnin'??? woo!"

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Unless its up a very steep hill why wouldn't you just get a couple people to help you move it?

Good idea! Better safe than sorry. Flat driveway and garage. Wife can steer and I'll push.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Correct me if I'm wrong but the water pump does not use coolant to lubricate itself. It is a sealed bearing. Right???

Dunno, always thought the coolant lubricated as well.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Originally Posted by oldhp
Correct me if I'm wrong but the water pump does not use coolant to lubricate itself. It is a sealed bearing. Right???

Dunno, always thought the coolant lubricated as well.

No absolutely not, water pumps have sealed bearings. They do have a finite service life but it's not based on the quality or quantity of coolant in the engine.

The bearing isn't lubricated by the coolant, but the seal absolutely is. I wouldn't start it without coolant on a triple dog dare. Roll it off the ramps, and push it in. Just my opinion.

I moved my maxima once w/o coolant (from tow-truck to the garage)- didn't have any issues in the the flowing years.

Back