Your Opinion on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 (SN) vs. Pennzoil Plantinum (SN)?

I want to reduce oil burning and clean both my piston oil rings and my piston oil holes without having to overhaul the engine.

I reviewed threads in the UOA and this forum, but did not see a discussion of the latest (SN) version of Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum.

Pennzoil's website didn't clarify the difference.

Looking at the oil container, both have 3 star ratings for engine wear and piston cleaning.

Besides about a $5 per 5 quart difference, is there any difference between them?

Last edited:
For the average vehicle, I really don't see what kind of measurable difference you would see upgrading from Platinum to Ultra Platinum. Many would argue even that going from the cheapest conventional that meets the necessary manufacturer and API ratings, to a synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum would not yield any measurable difference either in a typical daily driver application.

I would says use Ultra for few oci like 2-3 then change brand of oil to any other brand you like but I would recommend Mobil 1 2-3 oci has AN ester which clean your engine slowly then used any other brand you like this is my 2cents or opinion . For oil burning Rislone engine treatment 16oz or if you want to used additive to clean engine

Last edited:
Here's a comparison. Ultra has a slightly higher kinematic viscosity. These charts don't hold much info on the base oil.

Penzzoil Platium Ultra 5w30.PNG

Pennzoil 5W30.PNG

Last edited:
I used both and while I liked PUP better I'd not pay much more for PUP over PP - I'd only buy PUP if the price was about same as PP.
IMHO, PUP is considerably better than PP thou.

From what I've seen here and comparing both oils, PUP has a touch more additives. I don't see much difference in the long run. There was a post not too long ago where someone used Mobil 1 every 10k miles and his vehicle was perfect at 218k miles when the valve cover was changed. API certified oils are good. Synthetic has been known to flow better so I use PP 5w30. High mileage PP might be good but the jury is still out on whether it makes a marked difference. PP and PUP have better than average NOACK compared to others.

I was recently looking for the same answer, the VOA's show slightly more additives in the PUP, and the pup is slightly thicker, difference is not large. Pennzoil claims better cleanliness with the PUP, how or why they don't elaborate. is it all just marketing to hype a "premium" product for increased profit? or is there a grain of truth in these claims? I don't know. so is the nebulous "better" worth the extra cost? hard question to answer with limited data.

What I did find is that PUP at Walmart.com 6 x 5qt jugs are the same price as at my local brick and mortar Walmart as the vanilla platinum, actually $0.02 cheaper per jug, so I got "better" (supposedly, maybe?) for the same price, I need to change the oil in 2 large sump Toyota's now, and I will have enough left over for another change later and some top off in-between. that allowed me to stop worrying about it and just buy the ultra. maybe I got better oil, or maybe it wont make a difference but I did get a prettier bottle and that makes me happy. and having a clear decision let me move forward without my OCD pestering me.

Its cheaper than the M1 EP I used to run, it turns in Good UOA's, reports from users show excellent cleanliness under the valve cover at least so I went for it, 5 of my 6 jugs just got here today. the 6th gets here tomorrow, they shipped from different warehouses. free shipping and no extra exposure to this CO-vid mess.

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a good case for Valvoline's Premium Blue Restore; It is an oil specifically designed to clean up carbon deposits.

What engine and mileage are we talking about?

Thanks, simple_gifts. On Amazon, I could only find a synthetic blend for 10W-30 (nothing for 5W-30). They also said nothing about being specfically designed to clean engine deposits.

Likewise, Valvoline.com says nothing about that and was more spartan as to specific oil grades than Amazon:

https://www.valvoline.com/en-mea/our-products/premium-blue-products

I'm hesitant to use synthetic blends.

Do you have a link to any available Valvoline Premium Blue Restore full synthetic 10W-30 or 5W-30 (if any) and a discussion about this specific design?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4230571/valvoline-premium-blue-restore

Just skip over the snarky commentary; clearly people kicked it to the curb before understanding the possible benefits.

It is a product designed by Valvoline to specifically address an issue with certain cummins engines.

There may be BITOG'rs using it right now and there might be some reports on it. Not cheap (> $70/gal) but if it solves a ring sticking issue it is $ well spent.

Once again, engine and mileage?

Last edited:
Thanks. 1996 Toyota Tercel 152k miles with stock 5EFE engine. Maybe there just weren't that many made, so that's why I can't find whether this engine has a bad rep of being an oil burner, such as Generation 8 Corollas (1998-2002)?

Amazon also removed the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore from my search; maybe they can't ship it to California
frown.gif

With Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, the value of the crankcase contents would exceed the value of a 24yr-old Tercel. Routine 5K-mile OCIs with a 5w-30 synthetic is all that's warranted. Oil is cheap, so keep a tightly-closed 5qt. jug of Supertech, Kirkland, or Amazon Basics in the trunk, add as needed, and drive on.

My previous car was a 7th gen corolla with a 4afe engine when I was living on the other side of the pacific. Most probably not a different animal from yours, i used 5w40 and 10w40 depends which I can get cheaper. And it was not an oil burner with 160k kms on it. No top ups between oil changes. And i do oil changes every 10k kms. Heck i bet i can use my wife's favorite cooking oil in it and it will still run. Lol.

It's interesting that Platinum has SN+ and Dexos1 Gen2 certs while Ultra Platinum only has SN+. UP seems to be the forgotten stepchild in the Sopus lineup.

Originally Posted by turnbowm
It's interesting that Platinum has SN+ and Dexos1 Gen2 certs while Ultra Platinum only has SN+. UP seems to be the forgotten stepchild in the Sopus lineup.

Hardly forgotten. In Europe it's called Shell Helix Ultra - with a tweak to suit the European vehicle requirements / specs / needs.

Very hardly forgotten if it's their top of the line product. They likely, never got it tested and approved.

Originally Posted by BucDan

Very hardly forgotten if it's their top of the line product. They likely, never got it tested and approved.

If it's their top of the line product, why wouldn't Sopus have gotten it tested and approved? They did for the Platinum.

Originally Posted by BucDan

If it's their top of the line product, why wouldn't Sopus have gotten it tested and approved? They did for the Platinum.

The Ultra Platinum is approved for my two Korean makes. The same Ultra Platinum is approved for your Kia 2.4

If Dexos 1 is a gotta' have cert for your vehicles, then buy Modern Engine or Mobil-1 AP.... both excellent and under $35

Back