Pros vs Cons of upgrading to better filter

Hey guys,

This may be a dumb question, but as an oil information newbie I have been using as well had the previous owner, MC FL820S filters on my 05 Vic (2v 4.6) with 3,000mi synthetic changes (usu PP, M1) (save me the ridicule!) up until currently at 61,000. I have learned from a few people that the FL820s, while having a very good silicone anti-drainback valve, has some crummy filtering media that sometimes tears. Because of this, I plan on changing over to NAPA Gold filters in the future... but the question is.. has the "damage" already been done? Is there really a benefit to doing this at this stage in the game?

I also embarrassingly admit that I had left the PCV return hose (valve cover to intake tube) disconnected while doing work that required the intake removed for who knows how many miles (a few thousand perhaps), hopefully not screwing myself further!

Thanks.

There is no need to worry. Use another brand filter. The air filter is the most important filter.

No. Put whatever filter and 5w20/30 oil you want in the thing and change it within OEM Reccomended specs.
Then, sit back, relax
...and
Enjoy driving it for the next 200k+ miles. That engine isnt gonna miss a beat for awhile.

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
I plan on changing over to NAPA Gold filters in the future... but the question is.. has the "damage" already been done? Is there really a benefit to doing this at this stage in the game?

Of course it's worth doing ... you can only change the future, and not the past.

I don't want to ridicule but you're throwing 3k OCI's with a syn on that big lazy low tech engine? That thing ought to be good for 200k with a lot more abuse than that. This car came from the era when the engine would outlast the car no questions asked.

Last edited:
I used to use those filters in my Taurus and I'd do 7-8k on semi synthetic. I never went nuts on the filter either, used all kinds, STP, Purolator, Motorcraft, etc., whatever was on sale and whatever was cheaper. My engine didn't die, it was the transmission that died when I finally got rid of it with over 200k.

interestingly to me on this Forum it seems you should never use the Motorcraft FL820S oil filter but on the F150 Forum you should only use the Motorcraft FL820S (or at least not waste your money on other filters)...whom to believe?

I've only owned my 2007 F150 with the 5.4 3V for 16 months, I follow a strict recommended OCI so only 3 oil changes thus far and the truck seems to run just fine (although I use full synthetic as I seem to find it less expensively than the manufacturer recommended synthetic blend)...

I've used Farm and Fleet Synthetic (rumored to be Citgo Oil)...Citgo SuperGard Synthetic and Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil...

Good luck with your choice...

Bill

Whom to believe... That's easy... Who's actually cut those filters open after use ??

And those 820s are holier than Swiss cheese all too often.

Now the Motorcraft FL 500s and FL 400s are great... Those two filters always look perfect after use and being cut open.

Hey guys,

This may be a dumb question, but as an oil information newbie I have been using as well had the previous owner, MC FL820S filters on my 05 Vic (2v 4.6) with 3,000mi synthetic changes (usu PP, M1) (save me the ridicule!) up until currently at 61,000. I have learned from a few people that the FL820s, while having a very good silicone anti-drainback valve, has some crummy filtering media that sometimes tears. Because of this, I plan on changing over to NAPA Gold filters in the future... but the question is.. has the "damage" already been done? Is there really a benefit to doing this at this stage in the game?

You engine will be fine. Doing 3k intervals is very short and even if you had a filter failure, I doubt any damage has occurred.
Wix Gold is a solid filter choice.

Originally Posted by Olas
There are no cons when upgrading to a better filter. It's better.

But not necessarily any real benefit either trying to find the "best".
The term "better/best" is vague. In comparison to the 820s, better is any filter than does not have a continuing history of failure.
A Supertech filter is better than an 820s in that aspect. I personally don't care much for the combo valve that the ST2 has, but will still use them (and am using one right now on brother in laws truck).

Originally Posted by bbhero
Whom to believe... That's easy... Who's actually cut those filters open after use ??
Now the Motorcraft FL 500s and FL 400s are great... Those two filters always look perfect after use and being cut open.

Yup, I had enough discussions on a few F150 forums about the issues with the 820s.
Even after posting multiple pics of failures, there were some that were just to stubborn to get it. "I never had a problem with one" is all they say, and asked if they ever cut one open, usually get "I don't need to", or "I cut one open 15 years ago".
There are a few here that are like that as well.

I now just provide info if someone asks and leave the thread. I really don't care what others use. I know what I will and won't use based on my research, using facts I find, not my feelings.
I do agree the amount of "damage" that occurs during a normal OCI of a filter that tears is most likely negligible.
The fact is, you buy a filter to, well, filter. Having continual proof of the media failures just is not acceptable, despite the minimal chances of damage in a clean engine. When you have other options (even cheaper options), why use the one with issues?

With that low use in a cold climate keep doing what you are doing. Cut your 820s's open each time, and buy fresh dated ones from Walmart. If you find a torn one on one change stop using them. Every Ford dealer is installing and selling those filters. With your driving style and clean oil you may be just fine on the current program. Suggest to the 150 forum people start cutting the filters to get more samples.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
bbhero's post above says it best, without actually stating the obvious..... just say Adios to those darn 820s.

Yup, much better and serviceable filters than MC FL820S.

Originally Posted by csandste
I don't want to ridicule but you're throwing 3k OCI's with a syn on that big lazy low tech engine? That thing ought to be good for 200k with a lot more abuse than that. This car came from the era when the engine would outlast the car no questions asked.

The only reason is that I have a ton of oil obtained dirt cheap syn ($3-10 per jug) from clearance sale hunting, and the oil would be too old by the time I used it if I did extended OCIs LOL

The only reason is that I have a ton of oil obtained dirt cheap syn ($3-10 per jug) from clearance sale hunting, and the oil would be too old by the time I used it if I did extended OCIs LOL

Too old?
That Crown Vic is a SJ/SL spec engine, and your Yaris is probably a SL/SM oil.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Yup, I had enough discussions on a few F150 forums about the issues with the 820s.
Even after posting multiple pics of failures, there were some that were just to stubborn to get it. "I never had a problem with one" is all they say, and asked if they ever cut one open, usually get "I don't need to", or "I cut one open 15 years ago".

Blind fanboys. Happened with the Purolators here also.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Blind fanboys. Happened with the Purolators here also.

With this guy doing synthetic oil and 3k oil changes, I wonder if it even matters, might even be able to get away with no filter. But say a bad filter with regular oil and going 15-20k on an oil change, then yeah, maybe it makes a different at that point.

Too old?
That Crown Vic is a SJ/SL spec engine, and your Yaris is probably a SL/SM oil.

As in I might run out of space!

Your plan is good … you have plenty modern but cheap motor oil … about to run a better, yet affordable filter, and you have an 05 Crown Vic with just 60K ? If you don't mind changing oil and getting a look under the car ? It's all good …

Back