Skyactiv 2.5L - Oil Capacity

So unlike the 2.0L Skactiv engine, the Skyactiv 2.5L takes a bit more than what the manual states to hit the top hole on the dipstick. PimTac correctly told me this a few weeks ago.

Per the Mazda manual, the 2.5L engine takes exactly 4.8qts with a filter change. However, 4.8qts only brings the oil up to slightly above half when hot. When cold it is about 1/2 of the dipstick. I'm not sure why this is the case. Are they accounting for fuel dilution?

The correct way to check the oil in this car is to bring the engine up to operating temperature, the re-check after the car has been off for at least 5 minutes.

With that said, the car needs a little over 5qts to hit the top hole exactly.

The engine needs a 5qt Jug + *this much of 1qt to fill to max line:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Does this dip stick have cross hatching on one side to indicate full?

My escape 2.5L takes 5.7 quarts, and has cross hatching at the halfway point between the dots to indicate full.

So your saying, parking the car on level ground and it sitting over night is not the correct way to check oil on a dipstick then?? Been doing that method forever.

Originally Posted by E150GT
I add a full , 5 quarts when I change it. No more no less

me too - 5qt jug exactly

5qt jug is all you need. The additional fraction of a qt I added to just hit the top hole exactly but it is no necessary.

Next oil change I'll only add 5qts. Makes it easier and I'm not concerned about being slightly under the top hole.

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
I use 5.5 qt on all of my 2.5 Skyactiv Mazda engines. Puts it on the top dot when checked cold.

That's what some are doing I've read. Pretty big discrepancy between the manual calling for 4.8qts and needing over 5qts to hit the top fill hole. Odd.

VQ35DE, have you always used 5.5qts?

Buster, try to check the oil dipstick level before you start the car in the morning. That would be most accurate, as the majority of the oil has dripped down to the pan.

I end up adding around 5.3 quarts to hit the full mark on the dipstick. On other Mazda forums people just put in five and call it a day. I like to use the full mark as a reference. If the level is somewhere between full and add then how would you know if there was any loss? Also out of habit I always have a quart extra handy just in case.

On my next fill I might go with five and leave it. Maybe Mazda came up with this number as the optimal amount? Who knows.

Originally Posted by painfx
Buster, try to check the oil dipstick level before you start the car in the morning. That would be most accurate, as the majority of the oil has dripped down to the pan.

I have and it is actually lower. It seems to work both ways depending on the engine. Some report a higher amount when cold, some lower. On this engine it is lower and I confirmed it a few times. The manual does clearly state to check it after the car was at operating temperature then sat for at least 5 mins.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
I end up adding around 5.3 quarts to hit the full mark on the dipstick. On other Mazda forums people just put in five and call it a day. I like to use the full mark as a reference. If the level is somewhere between full and add then how would you know if there was any loss? Also out of habit I always have a quart extra handy just in case.

On my next fill I might go with five and leave it. Maybe Mazda came up with this number as the optimal amount? Who knows.

That's my thinking as well. Next time I may just add 5 but I do prefer it at the very full mark.

*For those that fill it to the exact full mark when cold, check it when hot after 5 min shutdown. I'm curious.

After adding 5qts exactly yesterday I check it this morning after the car sat for over 12 hours. It was about half way up the dipstick. I then drove to pick up a quart, came back and added it while the engine was warm to reach full.

I put a full jug of 5 quarts in my 2.5L SkyActiv engine. The level is about 7/8. and I call it good since my engine uses maybe 1/16" of oil during a 6K oil change.Ed

4 hours later. As you can see, the cold oil level is lower in this engine. So 5qts is a safe bet.

[Linked Image]

just an FYI, my G2 prius reads a variety of levels in my driveway depending on where I park; I consider my driveway "level" but it appears an imperceptible tilt changes the reading on the stick. I just stopped caring about a 3/16" variation on the stick

^smart I don't blame you. I can be a bit of a perfectionist so I always like it full. Sometimes you have to let things go.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Thanks for showing that. I'm going to go with 5 quarts and call it a day.

cheers3.gif
Me too.

FWIW

Owner's manual:

"The level is normal if it is between the MIN and MAX marks.
If it is near or below MIN, add enough oil to bring the level to MAX."

Also at the very top:

"(Approximate Quantities)"

Back