What VPN do you Recommend?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
[
Me thinks the OP needs the PC version.

LOL didn't think of that!

Gebo,
What devices are you using this for - smart phone, computer, or are you looking for a whole house VPN where everything on your network is going through it? Specifically when you say do they work with Netflix or Amazon Prime, are you thinking a Roku/SmarTV or again smartphone or computer?

For streaming 4K, you only need 25Mb download speed and much less for regular HD. Most good VPNs will be able to support this and shouldn't impact your streaming. The only issue that could come up is if they are routing you outside the US so it appears you are in a different country and may have different content available to see.

Last edited:
I use NordVPN because I can put their script on my router and have every device in the house on it. I have another router without VPN that I can connect to because some websites detect VPN and block it (I'm talking about you BofA). I can switch back and forth as needed but mostly I'm on VPN.

Hi
I tried 'opera' which is a free one but it slowed my pc down so much it was unusable.

Am I correct in thinking a paid for one will not do this?

Also I have an older pc that is probably not helping. What are the minimum pc specs I need to help this please?

Many thanks.

If all you need to do is some quick location spoofing, Opera has a built-in VPN. Opera even allows the download of a portable version of their browser which doesn't need to be installed.

Else, I suggest NordVPN.

Originally Posted by Gebo

I just don't want people tracking me and I still wanna watch Netflix and Amazon and YouTube.

All three of those companies will still track what you are watching, regardless of a presence of a VPN. They aren't concerned with the IP address associated with the traffic.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
[
Me thinks the OP needs the PC version.

LOL didn't think of that!

Gebo,
What devices are you using this for - smart phone, computer, or are you looking for a whole house VPN where everything on your network is going through it? Specifically when you say do they work with Netflix or Amazon Prime, are you thinking a Roku/SmarTV or again smartphone or computer?

For streaming 4K, you only need 25Mb download speed and much less for regular HD. Most good VPNs will be able to support this and shouldn't impact your streaming. The only issue that could come up is if they are routing you outside the US so it appears you are in a different country and may have different content available to see.

Yes to all of the above and include Apple TV. The maximum I can get is 25 Mb download where I live.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I just don't want people tracking me and I still wanna watch Netflix and Amazon and YouTube.

All three of those companies will still track what you are watching, regardless of a presence of a VPN. They aren't concerned with the IP address associated with the traffic.

Did not know that.

Yes, there are quite a few ways to do that, e.g. your app ID, like your browser ID and many other ways

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
Originally Posted by vavavroom
All I will tell you is that you should daisy-chain several VPN's with servers located in different regions.

So use Tor.

The topic was VPN's. Tor is not a VPN.

Its your internet service provider that sells ads and your private information. When you use a VPN they cant.

All I will tell you is that you should daisy-chain several VPN's with servers located in different regions.

That does absolutely nothing to obscure the ID of the device streaming the content.

I went with TunnelBear; it received good reviews and it's easy for the less technically oriented members of my family to use.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

So use Tor.

The topic was VPN's. Tor is not a VPN.

I believe Tor would accomplish your implied objective of daisy-chaining VPN's together.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Its your internet service provider that sells ads and your private information. When you use a VPN they cant.

That's a pretty gross generalization which many providers, to whom customers are paying money, would likely take exception to. This would be HIGHLY ISP-specific, something which you've completely failed to capture in your claim. If they are using your DNS queries to create a profile, just switching to something like Cisco's OpenDNS will eliminate the issue. They (your average ISP) don't have the resources to packet-sniff everybody's unencrypted traffic, so odds are this is the method employed IF they are indeed conspiring to, as you posit, monetize your activities. On the other hand, if you think Amazon, Netflix, Google...etc aren't capturing similar information using your device ID, account ID...etc then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Privacy on the internet, when you are using any sort of service, is an illusion. If you are signed up for anything, you have an identifier from which a profile can be constructed, thinking that you are somehow outwitting that process by changing the egress point of your traffic is breathtakingly naive.

There are so many potential situations where security is willingly sacrificed due to convenience or cost. Huawei equipment comes to mind. Using anything from a Chinese company and thinking the CCP don't have their fingers in it? Ha! This goes for your much lauded TP-Link hardware as well. Concern regarding this of course assumes you have information worth collecting.

Taking a stand against your ISP while trusting your security to Chinese hardware/software, and not just made in China, TP-Link is a wholly owned Chinese entity, much like Huawei, seems a whole lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face. That's my professional opinion on the matter.

I recall this not being the first time you've made the above unqualified and poorly presented claim, and thus I expect it won't be the last. It doesn't bother me that you don't trust your ISP, but replying to a comment that points out the folly of believing you are creating anonymity on a subscription service using a VPN by claiming the bigger threat is your ISP misses the mark by a country mile and seems to betray a misunderstanding of the fact that ISP's are not all the same.

That does absolutely nothing to obscure the ID of the device streaming the content.

All you can do is add more encryption.

All you can do is add more encryption.

Still won't help, you are authenticating with something that has a device ID associated with it and against an account (Netflix, Amazon Video...etc) even Youtube, barring running it in an entirely sandboxed browser with cookies blocked, is going to track that experience. It's not about the path getting there, it's the service and what you are access it with; the provider and your endpoint, those are the issue.

VPN's provide a "feel good" experience; they instil a false sense of anonymity for folks that aren't using a hardened endpoint and are typically accessing a subscription service, which has their personal information anyways and all data between those two is encrypted in the first place. If you are using Netflix over a VPN, you might be spoofing your location, that's about it. If that's the end game, awesome! But they still know what you are watching, who you are...etc. Same thing with Amazon. If all you are doing is watching vids on Youtube, that can be locked down pretty well, but that's not the impression I'm getting from this thread.

Back