2018 chevy express passenger van

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been driving vans for over 40 years for work. Enterprise, truecar and others have 2018-19 vans for 20-22k with low miles 20-40 k miles. Been looking at 6.0 engine 1 ton these van sticker for 38-40k. What do you think of buying a van from one of these types of outlets.

They may have gotten some hard use but that 6.0 is a great motor. If the vans look to be in good condition, run fine and you're saving enough money to justify it - go for it.

Thats what i thought.
Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
The price in two months might be even better. I don't think vehicles are selling well right now.

Thats what i thought.

Drive a Ford Transit and see whether you'd still want one of these.
We have a couple of the extended ton GMCs in the fleet at work as well as a 3/4 ton.
The 6.0 is indeed strong but overall driving dynamics are awful.
We have a single ton Transit and it drives ever so much better.
Bit of a weird driving position in that if you move the seat for a comfortable steering wheel reach the pedals seem way too close, but the thing drives really well and the V-6 has very good power, although you do have to let it rev in a way the 6.0 would never need.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Drive a Ford Transit and see whether you'd still want one of these.
We have a couple of the extended ton GMCs in the fleet at work as well as a 3/4 ton.
The 6.0 is indeed strong but overall driving dynamics are awful.
We have a single ton Transit and it drives ever so much better.
Bit of a weird driving position in that if you move the seat for a comfortable steering wheel reach the pedals seem way too close, but the thing drives really well and the V-6 has very good power, although you do have to let it rev in a way the 6.0 would never need.

Do NOT buy a Transit. You won't be happy with it. Their build quality is trash, and they are an absolute nightmare to work on. That, and the V6 engines have no where NEAR the power that a 6.0 Express/Savana has. No commercial van should have to be revv'd to the moon to make power, they need it down low where only a V8 can provide. There's a reason that GM has had such success with the G-van's for so many years. If this was a discussion about a Ford E-Series van vs. an Express, it would be different. However, working as a mechanic and servicing fleets of all varieties I can say with all confidence that you'll have better luck with an Express.

Before I get flamed, I will admit that NO cab-over design van is easy to work on. Not the Express, not the E-series, not the Transit. That just comes with the territory. That being said, the removable doghouse on Express/E-series vans make things a MILLION times easier when it comes to service. In addition, the Transit is notorious for front tire wear that even Ford can't correct due to non-adjustable camber angles. They use captured rear brake rotors that take way more time than necessary to replace (they also eat rear brake pads like I breathe air), whereas the brakes on G-vans seem to last almost indefinitely even in hard use. Parts cost is another factor: there isn't a huge difference, but in general the G-van or E-van will be cheaper to maintain than a Transit.

I will agree with fdcg27: the Transit drives better. That's ALL it does better. The Express/E-series vans may be antiquated, but there's a reason for that. They work.

If I needed a van for work, it would no question be a G-van. Econoline's are nice, but the modular Ford motor's are more complicated and take up even more room in an already cramped engine bay. About the only thing I can give to Ford is the transmission: The 6R line (based on the year you're shopping for) is a licensed ZF design, and it's rock solid. The 6L80/90 isn't quite is strong, but still more than capable from what I've seen.

My brother worked for a HVAC company that had full size Chevy vans. His happened to have a 4.8 V8 and his co-workers had 6 liter engines. A few guys had diesel vans.
The 6 liter vans had more power and got better fuel economy than his 4.8.

I drive a 6 litre 2500 2018 Express for work. Great vans. Fuel economy about 13mpg though. And the wipers are always terrible on these vans. The trannies need a few minutes to warm up when cold too. Otherwise they're awesome. Tons of power at all speeds; great towing. Dependable. Been using them for as long as I can remember.

14Accent, is spot on. Having worked on few Transit Van's they are a royal joke. Their brake design leaves a TON to be desired. A painter friend of mine just got a Chevy Express van with 6.0 and likes it a lot

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
14Accent, is spot on. Having worked on few Transit Van's they are a royal joke. Their brake design leaves a TON to be desired. A painter friend of mine just got a Chevy Express van with 6.0 and likes it a lot

IDK.
Both of our ton GMC vans have needed at least a couple of warranty visits to the dealer while the Transit has been trouble free in its first year.
It's also racking up the miles since it is the choice of our transport officers over the GMCs simply because it's so much more pleasant to drive and ride in.
We'll see how it goes as the thing ages and accumulates more miles of use.
Don't even get me started on our '17 GMC pickup. That thing has been so bad that if you owned it personally you'd cry. At least half a dozen warranty visits with the most recent involving a stuck lifter, bent pushrod and broken valve spring.
You couldn't even lemon-law the thing because it comes up with a different trick each time.
This looks like it'll be a nightmare out of warranty. Our mechanic will be earning his money on this one.
The thing will go to auction in the next year or two and I really feel sorry for whomever ends up with it.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
Been driving vans for over 40 years for work. Enterprise, truecar and others have 2018-19 vans for 20-22k with low miles 20-40 k miles. Been looking at 6.0 engine 1 ton these van sticker for 38-40k. What do you think of buying a van from one of these types of outlets.

Nice deal given what these vans sell for new, figuring people probably pay $32K or so for them. Looks like they've got some with mileage in the teens even.

I've never had an issue with an ex-rental vehicle and I've bought 4-5 of them at this point.

Transit isn't bad, they had a few QC issues on some 2017 models that Ford took care of.
Express and the Savanna are good work horse vans, no more quirky than a GM truck.
I love the Promaster personally, wish they would introduce AWD in North America.

I used to like the Sprinters, but I have heard of horrendous QC issues due to the plant in North Carolina "rushing" them.

Fdcg27: just pray your transit never has the dreaded driveshaft cluster mess that all of ours in fleet had. Took Ford 3 times to get the fix right.

I'll never recommend a Transit to anyone. Even bullwinkle agrees they are way, way underpowered.

Last edited:
I rented both a Transit and an Express van to move back to back recently. I'd get the Express hands down. Way more power, especially when loaded down. I preferred the way it drove and rode better than the Transit when loaded up as well.

Build quality they were about the same. The Express seemed to feel a little more cheaply built materials wise but it's a work van so meh...

I'd say drive them both and see which you prefer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I'll never recommend a Transit to anyone. Even bullwinkle agrees they are way, way underpowered.

You can get the full size Transit with the Ecoboost 3.5 which I don't think anyone has ever said is underpowered....

itguy08: I just wouldn't drive one. Worked on enough of em' and their recalls royally sucked doing.

Ford should have stayed with the E series vans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back