Barrs leak oil additive

I don't believe in adding anything to oil in daily driven vehicles. Some products just make the oil thicker in which, if we wanted thicker oil, we should just put in thicker oil.

Some additives ad more something. What that something is, is always the question.

Of course a mechanic in a bottle fix would be wonderful; but that's just wishful thinking.
Having said that, I serviced a friend's ultra high mileage 2004 Civic that leaked oil pretty badly, at least for a Honda.
I think it was a crank seal... Don't really remember.
For fun, I added a bottle of the Barr's Oil Stop Leak during a service.
Surprisingly, it helped quite a bit; not 100% for sure, but maybe 60 to 70%.

For an oil leaker, you could do worse.
Just remember, there is no better solution than fixing a leak correctly by replacing the gasket, seal, etc.

Good luck.

I have used it for a PITA heater core leak and old time brass radiator leaks. It worked for me at the time. I wouldn't use it for modern radiators but would try it for those pesky heater core leaks before condemning it. It probably would plug up a heater core.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
I have used it for a PITA heater core leak and old time brass radiator leaks. It worked for me at the time. I wouldn't use it for modern radiators but would try it for those pesky heater core leaks before condemning it. It probably would plug up a heater core.

I don't think I would use bars leak OIL additive for a coolant leak, but I have used it for oil leaks in an old car, and it helped a lot.

Last edited:
Pretty much with all mechanic in a bottle things, it's best to replace the cause of the leak, but if it's difficult to replace valve stem seals or a seal that's a partial engine out job on your old beater where the labor is more than the thing is even worth go on ahead and put the stop leak in it, just don't expect a stop leak to fix something like valve seals that have rotted to the point that you're burning a quart every hundred miles or something like that.

If the oil leak is due to a leaky rotational seal such as front or rear of the crankshaft, then I can say it works sometimes. The better one that Bars leaks offers says on the front of the bottle that it helps with crankshaft seal leaks, which is the one I use if I'm not ready to replace the front or rear crankshaft seals. Usually I will use it along with some high mileage oil, possibly with one notch up on viscosity if not too cold outside. All 3 changes will slow down or stop some of these leaks if it's not too bad and seal replacement not an option.

Back