Pennzoil Platinum in 2.0L Ford Ecoboost=recipe for disaster?

I was a referred here by an internet friend who said that Pennzoil Platinum isn't a good as it's cracked up to be. I'm not sure who to believe on the matter.

Some background: I've had my 2015 Ford Fusion for a little over 3 years. I've been running Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5W-30 with either a Mobil 1 or Motorcraft filter (currently running the latter brand) ever since the car's first oil change with me as the owner (I'm the second owner overall, car was bought used, oil is changed every 5k). I haven't had an oil analysis done yet (I have a kit waiting for the next oil change, which will be soon), but I was told by the aforementioned friend that Pennzoil 'doesn't lubricate, and it breaks down under mild heat' (his exact words). I'm not exactly inclined to believe it (since my parents car, a 2012 Focus, has been using 5W-20 Platinum full synthetic for the last 4 years with exactly 0 issues, and that car saw an extensive stop-and-go commute for almost 4 years from the day we bought it), but I do not see any harm in asking questions. Other than very minor oil seepage off the timing cover (which seems to be a common thing with Duratec/MZR engines), my car doesn't appear to be losing oil. The check engine light has never come on for any codes that might indicate issues caused by lack of lubrication (the one time it did come on was for an EVAP purge solenoid failure).

A quick check of Google led me to a couple threads on here, but one was from 2005, and the other one seemed to be an issue of driving style more than anything else.

36.gif
This should be good.

Would be nice to know the source of your friends statement? Anecdotal evidence on his part, hearsay, studies etc. Otherwise just some person's opinion and everyone has one.

So your friend made completely unsubstantiated claims, and any "Pennzoil Platinum" product from 2005 is completely useless in today's day and age since Pennzoil Platinum has undergone several reformulations and in some cases major, since 2005.

That's what I'm thinking. He didn't provide any evidence other than that (and about what my shop's cost for a full synthetic change was), then said to get an oil analysis done.

I asked around in the Fusion owners group I'm in and was referred to a blog post by someone named 540rat, here, that has the wear protection for the PP with natural gas solidly in the 'good' category; not great, not terrible, but good.

*Your friend is correct - Pennzoil Platinum is a terrible synthetic oil ! Please send any unopened Pennzoil synthetic 5W30moil to me for proper disposal !
Originally Posted by carguy1701
I was a referred here by an internet friend who said that Pennzoil Platinum isn't a good as it's cracked up to be. I'm not sure who to believe on the matter.

Some background: I've had my 2015 Ford Fusion for a little over 3 years. I've been running Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5W-30 with either a Mobil 1 or Motorcraft filter (currently running the latter brand) ever since the car's first oil change with me as the owner (I'm the second owner overall, car was bought used, oil is changed every 5k). I haven't had an oil analysis done yet (I have a kit waiting for the next oil change, which will be soon), but I was told by the aforementioned friend that Pennzoil 'doesn't lubricate, and it breaks down under mild heat' (his exact words). I'm not exactly inclined to believe it (since my parents car, a 2012 Focus, has been using 5W-20 Platinum full synthetic for the last 4 years with exactly 0 issues, and that car saw an extensive stop-and-go commute for almost 4 years from the day we bought it), but I do not see any harm in asking questions. Other than very minor oil seepage off the timing cover (which seems to be a common thing with Duratec/MZR engines), my car doesn't appear to be losing oil. The check engine light has never come on for any codes that might indicate issues caused by lack of lubrication (the one time it did come on was for an EVAP purge solenoid failure).

A quick check of Google led me to a couple threads on here, but one was from 2005, and the other one seemed to be an issue of driving style more than anything else.

You would be smart not to seek any oil-related opinions from this friend anymore. The current SN Plus / Dexos 1 Gen 2 formula of Platinum is pretty-darn good. It's above-average oil for today's GDI / TGDI engines.

Yes. The shop I work at uses Pennzoil and to the best of my knowledge, none of the cars that've been serviced there since the switch (which occurred at the beginning of 2016) have suffered engine failures because of it. However, I am mindful of the phrase 'hear all, trust nothing'.

Is your internet friend a mechanic with vast experience with oil related failures or a oil company chemist?

If it was junk would it be made by a major company with lots if testing experience and experts in the field?

If it was junk would it be able to get certified by major car companies?

If it was junk could it be a Gf-5 or 6 oil?

Last edited:
No to all of those. I'm pretty sure he does his own work, but he's had a dislike of Pennzoil for some time, and initially I had thought he was referring to the old paraffin wax thing (which IIRC was debunked years ago).

Run it, been running Pennzoil for the last 50 years with no problems, have it my newest vehicle with a 2.0T.
cheers3.gif

Back