Android users - experiencing recent GPS issues?

mjk

Morning,

I have a pretty simple phone - the Samsung J3, but have had it less than a year, so I am hoping to get another year out of it.

Recently, my Google Maps and Waze have been almost inoperative. It will show me at a location sometimes several miles away. Running a route, it often takes me in directions opposite of where I want to go. It is a big concern, as I transitioned into a courier/delivery role, after being laid off temporarily a few weeks ago..

This past week, I took it into a Verizon store, and had an employee go through it while I ran errands. When I came back, his response was 'your phone is well maintained/clean/up to date with upgrades. I've tried some tricks, and the only thing that allows a slight improvement, was to remove the case. It connected with 1 extra satellite'.

I left the store, and worked an evening shift with no improvements. Frustration ensued,, so I spent an hour at home researching more articles. This one turned out to be the key:

GPS help

Solution #4 seems to be the culprit. Worked much better last night. Just a simple FYI.

The odd thing about my visit to the store, was he had at least 6 people in there that week, with the same Samsung issues (including his brand new S20). He had thought there was a recent release that was causing the issues.

Stay healthy.

In the past I've used GPS Status - notification proxy plugin, EclipSim.

In the last couple of weeks Waze on my phone's had very brief GPS acquisition issues, but it acquires quickly enough I put it down to Waze problems.

WIth my old phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) I had a lot more acquisition problems, but that was several years ago, and part of it was self-induced.

I downloaded the GPS toolbox app yesterday.

Does anyone own the A50? He had suggested that, if I was going to upgrade and keep it within a reasonable range..... or other options like LG?

I am on Verizon, pre-paid/no contract. My plan is $38/month, 3gb of data.

Last edited:
Did you turn on Google Location Accuracy?

Open:
1. Device settings
2. Location
3. Advanced
4. Google Location Accuracy

This service combine information from GPS, mobile networks and other sources to determine your location more accurately.

Most people dont know that all GPS chip-sets and antennas are not created the same. Typically the lower priced or value handsets have low end and value GPS. The very best GPS antennas and chip-sets are not available to the public. No, they don't shift your location in GPS civilian products anymore. They give you poor performance. The best GPS is in the high-end phones.

Originally Posted by knerml
Did you turn on Google Location Accuracy?

Open:
1. Device settings
2. Location
3. Advanced
4. Google Location Accuracy

This service combine information from GPS, mobile networks and other sources to determine your location more accurately.

Yes, that had been done.

have you tried performing a reset on the network connection settings?.. you will probably have to reconnect any bluetooth or wifi connections but this may help.

Originally Posted by mjk
Morning,

This past week, I took it into a Verizon store, and had an employee go through it while I ran errands. When I came back, his response was 'your phone is well maintained/clean/up to date with upgrades. I've tried some tricks, and the only thing that allows a slight improvement, was to remove the case. It connected with 1 extra satellite'.

The odd thing about my visit to the store, was he had at least 6 people in there that week, with the same Samsung issues (including his brand new S20). He had thought there was a recent release that was causing the issues.

Stay healthy.

Most probably the last "intentional" update........manufacturers do that on purpose that you buy new phones...

Save all your data and do a factory reset...then report back!

Or coud be also that sun has some outbursts which interfere with a satelites in space......I had the same issues with my garmin GPS back in 2014/2015....

So you're stating that GPS has to be turned on to work? Who knew!
banana2.gif
lol.gif

Last edited:
no issues with my cheap Motorola X4 phone with Android Auto and Google Maps (haven't used Waze in a while)

something to be aware of is something called "Dilution of Precision" (or DOP). If it's tracking a bunch of satellites and they are grouped together too closely, accuracy goes way down, especially if you're in an environment that can have things that block the view of one or more satellites it is tracking.

Last edited:
Moto x4 is a premium smart phone compared to the j3.. I've had the j3 as a backup device.. its definitely tough to live with

No problems here at this time. There was a glitch when my location was pegged 25 miles off the actual location while in a moving vehicle a couple weeks ago. This lasted for about half an hour and affected both my phone's GPS and my vehicle's NAV system. This happened in a fairly remote area but I was on a freeway at the time. The problem was not at my end.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Moto x4 is a premium smart phone compared to the j3.. I've had the j3 as a backup device.. its definitely tough to live with

Thanks, I am going to look into that, if this present fix, doesn't stick.

I've looked at Walmart's and Best Buy's stock for pre-paid plans. They are out of a lot of models right now. I might go back into a contract, perhaps go back to Sprint, and finance a higher end phone for 2 years.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny

Looks like the Nokia 7.2 might be the newer phone, and a better option. 4gb Ram, 128gb storage, Snapdragon 660

Originally Posted by mjk
Originally Posted by Dave9
banana2.gif
lol.gif

Huh? Read much?

Yes, enough to know that enabling power saving features, disable things. That's. How. That. Works.

Did you read your own post? Did you read the article you linked?

Solution #4 seems to be the culprit.

Originally Posted by "Article #4"
Power Saving Mode disables some important functions like Wi-Fi and GPS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
My x4 Android One was $200 when I bought it new last year

Thanks for letting me know. I will definitely keep this in mind, should I need to move on from this phone.

Originally Posted by mjk
banana2.gif
lol.gif

Huh? Read much?

Yes, enough to know that enabling power saving features, disable things. That's. How. That. Works.

Did you read your own post? Did you read the article you linked?

Solution #4 seems to be the culprit.

Originally Posted by "Article #4"
Power Saving Mode disables some important functions like Wi-Fi and GPS.

Fair enough....but a couple oft things I didn't mention.

a. For the first 6 months I owned the phone (July-Dec), it never had issues under 'power saving' mode. It was only after January, that this started... so who knows what really caused it.

b. Prior to this, I had 2 cheap LG smart phones (seriously, like 60.00). I kept each one for 2 years, then moved on as battery life faded. These phones were on power saving mode for a combined 4 years due to mediocre batteries (being nice here), and never had GPS issues.

so let's just end this debate. It is what it is, hopefully this was the cure.
grin.gif

^ Of course. If you compare the power saving features on ancient cheap phones, they didn't do as much. Android evolves, and more Power Saving features to come in Pie 10/Q.

Always assume you should disable Power Management if a feature doesn't work, especially on more modern phones that get updates, unlike the old LG's.

Back