Getting My Harley Back On The Road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did new front tire (Dunlop 401) and fork seals because a seal blew out and one of them leaked. Have the rear tire left to do and she's 100%. Will use a Dunlop 401 also. 2007 H-D Dyna Street Bob with 11,000 miles. I'm not going to be doing much riding because I'm afraid of the possibility of overwhelming the hospital if I get in a wreck. Added fork boots to keep the dirt out so maybe these seals will last a little longer. 49mm Showa forks are pretty straightforward to work on. This is my first time rebuilding motorcycle forks.

fork seals.JPG

Last edited:
That's a good call with the dust boots. If you ride on dusty driveways or back roads that dust will wear them out alot faster. 13 years old, but with only 11k on it, man you gotta get out and rotate the tires more.,,,

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
That's a good call with the dust boots. If you ride on dusty driveways or back roads that dust will wear them out alot faster. 13 years old, but with only 11k on it, man you gotta get out and rotate the tires more.,,,

I know. I've had two surgeries and crazy work schedule, but looking to forward to more riding time after this pandemic is over.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Those are bias-belted tube tires, right?

Yes. They are really stiff and I have my mechanic install the tire and tube. It's worth the 40 bucks.

Finished up the bike today. New brake pads, tires, fork seals and rear brake light switch. She's 100% now. Took it for a 10 or so mile shakedown run today to seat pads and check for issues.

dyna finished.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, bike looks great!
I consider myself handy and such, oil changes and tune ups, shocks and electrical on all my vehicles and boats my whole life.
But not comfortable or care too when it comes to shocks and steering neck service or changing tires on the bike.

Might be different if I knew someone who was an "expert' to help and teach me ... anyway, I guess in the next year or two, 3 max I will need both those items taken care of. Its cool that you do it yourself. Always hate bringing anything into a dealer for service, not even so much the cost but to know its done properly.

Im sitting here today, wondering if I work on the house or go out on the bike or a little of both.
Going to hit 87 degrees today and back to work tomorrow for 2 days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Wow, bike looks great!
I consider myself handy and such, oil changes and tune ups, shocks and electrical on all my vehicles and boats my whole life.
But not comfortable or care too when it comes to shocks and steering neck service or changing tires on the bike.

Might be different if I knew someone who was an "expert' to help and teach me ... anyway, I guess in the next year or two, 3 max I will need both those items taken care of. Its cool that you do it yourself. Always hate bringing anything into a dealer for service, not even so much the cost but to know its done properly.

Im sitting here today, wondering if I work on the house or go out on the bike or a little of both.
Going to hit 87 degrees today and back to work tomorrow for 2 days.

The Harley service manual is pretty good at explaining things and there are youtube videos to walk you through the fork rebuild. It's really not that bad to do. You do need some special tools: seal driver,special socket that removes the cap on top of the fork, 12mm long allen wrench for removing the plugs at the bottom of the forks. A couple cans of Brakeclean will get all the residue out of the tubes. Mounting tires are what I can't do. It's worth the 40 bucks for the mechanic to struggle with getting those stiff tires on the rim lol. For some reason Harley tires are very stiff. I never had trouble with my dirt bikes back in the day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CCI
Very nice! Where did you find the dust boots?

They were under 20 bucks on eBay. They seem to be decent quality but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back