pay cut at work

Buckle down, not to fear monger -- but -- its only gonna get worse out there financially. That is why I say to my GF all the time -- "I do NOT want any other payment besides my mortgage." Granted, everybodys situation is different in life. Stay safe & positive people!!!
wink.gif

I changed jobs from an insurance company to a major hotel chain. But I work in the large scale data center. Does not really matter what the company does or sells, the same work for me in the data center. A month after the job change the virus hit , reservations were down dramatically, and I was told my job was probably going to be cut but it went back and forth. I ended up not getting cut but reduced to a 4 day work week. So more time for projects now that the weather is getting warmer. All in all it could have been a lot worse.

Originally Posted by marine65
I'm an hourly employee.
My hours were cut to 25 hours a week.
The company cut all employees pay by 10%
I'll be OK with Social Security still coming in.
But expenses have to be watched closely.
I think I can file unemployment for lost pay because it's directly from the Virus.

Anybody else in a similar situation?

They have been trying to cut our hours down. I know they will need us a lot in the coming weeks and demand things like 16 hour shifts, OT, etc. Weighing how I feel about that.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I'm salary company is mandating vacation days be taken.

Is that legal?

It's just as legal as making citizens carry papers to cross state lines in Amerika, Comrade.

The law is just a social construct of the government. It has nothing to do with right/wrong/ethics.

I layed my employees off this Friday. Small operation just six people but had no choice. Business is down 86% it was not substantial at that rate. One of the hardest things I ever had to do it truly hurt but hopefully were back and running soon.i don't expect business to be back to normal numbers but if it's enough to cover payroll and expenses I'll take it. Business is debt free was always concerned about that so a fighting chance. If not I'll pack it in head down to Florida and go fishing

I'm lucky. I'm working from home and very busy. We are not missing a beat by working from home. We've been planning for this contingency for years. My wife is getting paid full time but only working 1 or 2 days a week in the office. My son and daughter's b/f are both laid off.

We supply Ford exhaust systems and they are down now. Forced to take mandatory vacation one week then furloughed indefinitely. Being told another 2 weeks minimum but probably the entire month. Unemployment application online rejected so on a call back list for over a week in KY.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Is that legal?

It's just as legal as making citizens carry papers to cross state lines in Amerika, Comrade.

The law is just a social construct of the government. It has nothing to do with right/wrong/ethics.

I'm sorry...and you planning to actually ANSWER THE QUESTION or just post non sequiturs?

I don't think I'll get any cut. They're supposed to be working on getting me and a coworker a decent raise. If they ever end up doing anything, I'll probably get told not to work overtime anymore.

Business as usual so far. Burning PRC to boil the water that spins the turbines that rotate the generators and provide the power needed for those at home to microwave burritos, watch Netflix and surf the net. Business as usual and Warren Buffett likes it that way.

I got a pay increase ! Well, a slight increase in my pension, and an increase in the winter home heating allowance. As a full time worker, I also get 80% of my weekly wage. As an added bonus I don't get to go anywhere to spend my money.

We are getting a 10% bonus for anytime worked during the stay at home order. They are also paying us to stay home if you or anyone in your house has so much as a cold. They have also waived occurrences if you simply wish to stay home to avoid any human contact, however that will not be paid unless you use vacation time.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
We are getting a 10% bonus for anytime worked during the stay at home order. They are also paying us to stay home if you or anyone in your house has so much as a cold. They have also waived occurrences if you simply wish to stay home to avoid any human contact, however that will not be paid unless you use vacation time.

My company is paying everyone in full their wages if they have to quarantine, or if they get sick with the virus. All 25k+ employees.

I'm very fortunate.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Is that legal?

I'm sorry...and you planning to actually ANSWER THE QUESTION or just post non sequiturs?

Yes, it's legal.

Sad to see people lose their jobs. The writing was on the wall that times were going to get tough and here we are. Fortunately we planned for it and using this as an opportunity to build wealth. Think outside the box.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
NYS employee here.. 40 hour work week with full benefits

You're not out of the woods yet. Expect big budget cuts

For governments at all levels, revenues are declining rapidly as tax takes from all sources dry up.
From income and payroll taxes to sales taxes to fuel taxes all are in free-fall.
State and local budgets are going to be strained for at least the rest of this calendar year.
Tough times ahead for governments and those who work for them.
The layoffs have already begun for some such workers.

Back